Arduino

I have been using the Arduino IDE on a Genesi ARM computer from the Ubuntu depository. So the ARM port has been done, some one would have to package it, so it ran on Pandora.

Cheers

Carl

Awesome I use the arduino frequently and it would be good iff I could use my pandora for coding

I have been using the Arduino IDE on a Genesi ARM computer from the Ubuntu depository. So the ARM port has been done, some one would have to package it, so it ran on Pandora.

Cheers

Carl

That is brilliant news.

I have just bought my first Arduino Uno and would love to be able to use the IDE on a Pandora rather than a laptop.

(When I get my Pandora that is.)

Would it be easy to package as the port has already been done ?

(Actually is there a 'Port Request' thread anywhere?)

I'll have to have a look into that.

Cheers.

I had the Arduino IDE running on the Pandora in Debian on an SD card, but it will surely work in a Debian extend ("sudo apt-get install arduino").

Semi-related, urjaman made a pnd with an AVR toolchain (AVR-Tools) for when you don't need/want to use the Arduino IDE and bootloader.

Last edited by a moderator:
did anyone ever get the Arduino IDE packaged for Pandora? If so, can you let me know where I can get hold of it - I'd love to be able to program my Arduino from my Pandora. B)

I also have Arduino and Pandora. Would love to start using them together. Couldn't find any tutorials last time I looked and right now I´m ready for bed.

Okay, so whilst the Formula 1 Grand Prix was on the TV, I decided to multi-task and get Arduino & Pandora working together...

My initial findings were that it would not be efficient to try and get the Arduino IDE to run on the Pandora. I googled quite a bit and found that many people have used different front-ends to compile, build and deploy to the Arduino. I decided to strip back to basics for the Pandora and have documented the steps below.

Requirements:

Open Pandora 256Mb 800Mhz Super Zaxxon Final release

avrtools installed (as linked to in earlier post)

Arduino Atmel328p device

USB 1.1 Hub (could not get Open Pandora to detect Arduino directly plugged in, assumed this was due to it using USB 2.0?)

Arduino 1.0.1 IDE (only if want to compile own library file - see next link [and for getting the .h files])

copy /hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/*.* to Open Pandora /mnt/utmp/avrtools/include

copy /hardware/arduino/variants/standard/pins_arduino.h to Open Pandora /mnt/utmp/avrtools/include

libarduino.a (obtained from http://lastyearswish...aa5d80d3d1c6920 )

copy libarduino.a to Open Pandora /mnt/utmp/avrtools/lib

creation of makefile and copy to Open Pandora /mnt/utmp/avrtools (make sure that the commands have TAB and not spaces, otherwise you get errors)

creation of flash_led.c in /home/tony

Steps:

Plug Arduino into USB 1.1 Hub

Plug USB hub into Open Pandora

Open Pandora, Enable USB Host

navigate to /dev/

check for existence of ttyUSB0

This will indicate that the Arduino is accessible (occasionally I had to restart Open Pandora for it to pickup the USB 1.1 Hub)

From menu select, development | avrtools

This starts in Terminal mode

I found that I had to be root user to be able to have permissions to dowload to the Arduino

sudo -s

<password>

make all FILE=flash_led

(this will compile the .c file, output it to .elf, then convert .hex and download to the Arduino using avrdude. The makefile is reading and outputting to /home/tony - you'll have to change this to suit your setup)

flash_led.c

Code:
#include "/mnt/utmp/avrtools/include/arduino.h"

int led = 13;

void setup() {

pinMode(led, OUTPUT);

}

void loop() {

digitalWrite(led, HIGH); // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)

delay(1000); // wait for a second

digitalWrite(led, LOW); // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW

delay(1000); // wait for a second

}

makefile

Code:
default:

avr-gcc -B /mnt/utmp/avrtools/lib -Os -mmcu=atmega328p -o /home/tony/${FILE}.elf /home/tony/${FILE}.c -larduino

avr-objcopy -O ihex -R .eeprom /home/tony/${FILE}.elf /home/tony/${FILE}.hex

upload:

avrdude -c arduino -p m328p -b 57600 -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -U flash:w:/home/tony/${FILE}.hex

all: default upload

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsHAW_CN5M0. I'm very happy that I am now able to use 'mousepad' on my Pandora to write my Arduino code and then run 'make' as detailed above and have the code running on the Arduino!

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/x2rZAopQwDo?feature=oembed showing the flashing of a real light :rolleyes:

Cool work indeed, this will also please Arduino people.

If you're into Arduino forums, please inform them too ;^).

Good another great use of Pandora...

Anyway whenewer there are a F1 show on TV i couldn't take off my eyes from it.... :) i love F1 ;)

I've got the Arduino IDE running on my Pandora... Just have to sort the USB serial port access out.

(It supports c++ too B) )

Is there any demand for a fully self contained PND (Including JRE) for this?

Edit:

Except the linker segfaults. Buffer.

Nice !

Even if there's no express demand here, i think pushing a .pnd is a good idea.

I've got the Arduino IDE running on my Pandora... Just have to sort the USB serial port access out.

(It supports c++ too B) )

Edit:

Except the linker segfaults. Buffer.

I would be quite pleased if there was a pnd for this. When I find some time I was going to try to follow the directions for the previous posts, but would be happy to just be able to drop a PND instead.

Thanks

I got the Arduino Uno recently and when I get my 1 Giggy Panda (hopefully soon), it would be super sweet to be able to program it from that.

Definitely a PND version would be preferable...

If it is not around when I get my Pandora, then I just might have to look into making PND apps (if it is not too difficult) ;)

Yes. Most definitely.

My poking electronic things (including arduini) table is too far away from my computer, being able to do it with my pandora would be awesome!

Well I've got the linker working. Just have to solve the serial port access.

Well I've got the linker working. Just have to solve the serial port access.

Sounds like what I was having issues with my USB development board.. I needed to run the software with sudo/root access, for some reason the USB devices in pretty much every distribution of linux don't give regular users proper permissions to directly access the USB devices.

Sounds like what I was having issues with my USB development board.. I needed to run the software with sudo/root access, for some reason the USB devices in pretty much every distribution of linux don't give regular users proper permissions to directly access the USB devices.

Have a look at the end of /etc/udev/rules.d/local.rules ;)

Back