Media + Network Stream + Tv Output?

fischju

I use an Archos 605 as my current portable device, and it can do a lot for $180
SDHC slot, 4GB of flash (up to 160gb for $380)
Same screen as the Pandora
Browser with Flash 9
It can stream from a Windows network
It can play unconverted xvid and h264 at DVD resolution, and output it to a TV
It can (with a mini dock) be a USB host for thumb drives and external hard drives
Seems to have the same DSP

BUT (huge but) it is locked down

The Pandora is very impressive, but will it be able to stream from a network my movie collection and output to my TV (an ability I use regularly on my 605)? Is that something being worked on for the release? If so, you have my money for a $299 - $329 pricepoint

Last edited by a moderator:
I would assume that there will be a samba client either on the Pandora by default or simple enough to install. This should be possible, depending on how much you want to get your hands dirty (i.e. there might not be a simple point-and-click interface for the use of samba/nfs just yet.)

Maybe... not 100% sure. As for tv-output - you should read the FAQ, it's all in there.

But to some degree I think you're missing what the Pandora was really intended to be first and foremost - an open source gaming device. It will be capable of much more, but that is its raison d'etre.

And if all you want is media features, then your Archos is probably all you need and probably easier to use for those limited functions.

It Had better do, one of the reasons i want to buy it is as a streaming media player.

Hmm... well maybe it will work well. I honestly don't know much about the subject - perhaps it's something I'll try when I get it. I guess it would be slicker than copying movies to SD cards when you're at home.

I'm another Archos user. One weakness you may or may not be aware of with the 605 - is the inability to properly "fill" an HD TV's screen.

Try it with a downloaded file at the same aspect ratio of the TV. If you use the "original" output option, it'll letterbox all 4 sides. If you stretch to fit, it'll assume your TV's SD - and as a result, you'll actually have black bars top and bottom. If you zoom, you'll chop some material from the sides. I've confirmed this with many other members on the Archos forums, it's pretty sad. Even the Cowon A3 can't do this properly - but at least has a zoom ratio at 10% increments that gets you close. That said, the Archos works beautifully with an SDTV. I'm hoping this'll be resolved sooner rather than later for the Pandora.

Other improvements over tha Archos 605 line are no need to buy plugins for formats or web browsing. The AC3 plugin was $20 I believe, and early tests show that the media player on the Pandora can already handle it. The web browser for the Archos is $30 and you'll have that right off the bat on the Pandora. Archos has locked the hard drives well on their players such that you can't switch them out - even if they become defective. Archos charges more for the hard drive replacement than if you shopped around for the whole player.

Factor in gameplay, an open device, and assumed superior audio - and the Pandora seems by far the superior media device for the cost. This has been my logic - as I considered "upgrading" to the 605 from my 504. Media streaming would be a huge bonus. :)

An Xbox with XBMC is full well capable of streaming video in high def from a Windows file sharing server to a TV. I do it every day in my living room. It lacks the ability to play h.264. I believe it to be a software issue in the built in mplayer.

Connecting a linux box to a Samba aka Netbios aka Windows File Sharing server is easy, the hard part is setting up a Samba share on a linux box to share with the rest of the network. File permissions are a little bitchy.

There are tons of Python scripts out there that create simple Samba mount points in your home directory, from which you could play any media on the share. If you have a linux file host NFS or SSHFS would be two natural and easy choices.

There is no reason that the Pandora won't be able to play video over the LAN. None, save your own ability to use samba to set up the mount, or your ability to download a tool to create said mount. Myself, I'll be creating a simple shell script to mount and unmount my windows shares until someone comes up with a gui way of doing it.

mindlord said:
An Xbox with XBMC is full well capable of streaming video in high def from a Windows file sharing server to a TV. I do it every day in my living room. It lacks the ability to play h.264. I believe it to be a software issue in the built in mplayer.
I also use a modded xbox as a streaming media center as well, and its inability to handle h.264 video is a hardware one, not software. The weak celeron CPU used by the xbox just doesn't have the power for realtime playback.

Luckily the Pandora has a powerful DSP which is speciffically designed for this sort of thing. The Pandora media player will be able to handle h.264 video - just as soon as somebody writes an optimized codec.

PolloLoco said:
Other improvements over tha Archos 605 line are no need to buy plugins for formats or web browsing. The AC3 plugin was $20 I believe, and early tests show that the media player on the Pandora can already handle it. The web browser for the Archos is $30 and you'll have that right off the bat on the Pandora. Archos has locked the hard drives well on their players such that you can't switch them out - even if they become defective. Archos charges more for the hard drive replacement than if you shopped around for the whole player.
Well Pandora has the same problem with codecs - Archos uses third party codecs made specifically for the DSP (which might be the same as in the 605), which allows h264, vob, all of that, but they cost a lot to license - Also on the 605 is Opera and Flash 9, both of which cost cash to license (mobile Opera isn't free, because it is made specifically for it)

I know it won't be as easy on the Pandora for streaming, but I trust in the what linux gurus will do with an open device

fischju said:
Also on the 605 is Opera and Flash 9, both of which cost cash to license (mobile Opera isn't free, because it is made specifically for it)
Adobe opened the spec and removed the license fees for players last month. Now it only costs money for a license to make SWF files.

Swfdec will work. Many websites work with it now, including Youtube.
And so will network streaming.

Good to hear that x264 won't be out of Pandora's reach. It's bothersome on my xbox, but all I have to do is switch inputs to my PC and watch from there. Of course that means I can't play games while my wife watches something I don't want to when it's x264, but once I have a Pandora in my hands. I doubt I'll be watching much TV or sitting at my PC much. :)

I don't see myself streaming a 800x480 video over the Internet. If you mean the local network, that's a different story.

I, at least, would be watching on my desktop or TV if I'm home anyways. :p

javaJake said:
I don't see myself streaming a 800x480 video over the Internet. If you mean the local network, that's a different story.

I, at least, would be watching on my desktop or TV if I'm home anyways. :p
My wife watches far more TV than I do, so being able to sit back on the couch with headphones and watch something other than what she is. That sounds very nice to me.

Back