ArcElite (space trading) on Pandora?

milinks

I've been looking for a good port of the seminal game Elite space trading, written by Ian Bell and David Braben in the 80's, I'm looking at putting RISC OS 3.7 on Pandrpcemu to play Arcelite, which is considered one of the best versions of huge game. Whilst I have been trawling around for information and help, I've come across a fan made creation, called m-Elite, which is a souled up version of Arcelite, written for windows Linux etc, the basic information I have shows it's a really good port, with all the good bits of Arcelite, plus more missions, better graphics etc.i was wondering if someone would be willing to see if this could be ported across to the Pandora, and of they were willing to give it a try, or if they could explain to a guy with limited programming experience how I could do this. It may be glaringly obvious, but as I say, I've no idea on how to do this.

The web page is here

http://www.polarelephant.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2008-10-01T00:24:00-07:00&max-results=1&start=4&by-date=false

The information on platforms/ code is:

TinySDGL port - FRAMEBUFFER

(source code + x86 & ARM Linux binaries)

http://www.mediafire.com/?pmwxy1jvtnq

- x86 binaries should work on any Linux PC with or without X11

- arm binaries should be compatible with Linux mobile device

Qtopia port (source code + static Linux binary)

mElite-LinQt005.tar.gz

Glut -1st remake (Windows binary + Visual Studio source code)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ddmmswi1ngw

http://one.xthost.info/zelko/mElite-97-41.zip

Apologies ive put this in the wrong forum :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing those mediafire links still work - the xthost link you posted is long dead, and the other project page was on Geocities, which is obviously gone now.

According to the title screen screengrab, this is by C Pinder, so almost certainly a TNK variant (or just an old name for TNK, dunno), and thus has been shut down by Braben now.

Let us know if you get ArcElite running. I'd love to get my old Gold Edition copy running on my Pandora.

Also bear in mind the NES version, which used to be the best original version according to Ian Bell IIRC (though that was before he put ArcElite up on his site). Easiest to get running on Pandora I'm sure.

And finally, there's also Oolite. Probably a bit too fancy to get running on Pandora with default settings, but it might be a nice target for Pyra.

Edit: Ah it's a TNK spin-off, not TNK itself. Still likely a little hush-hush.

I have consistently failed to run the NES Elite - I don't know if it is a particularly weird rom or something. 

But where is the pandora-elite by...Eh...in these discussions? There is a pandora-native Elite version floating around somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now...

And finally, there's also Oolite. Probably a bit too fancy to get running on Pandora with default settings, but it might be a nice target for Pyra.
You mean this one:
post-5182-0-30128500-1398612707.png

Seems to works pretty well in fact (but I don't play elite, so I'm a bit clueless on how to play, keymap, and things like that).

post-5182-0-30041400-1398612889.png

:)

oolite1.png

oolite5.png

@ Ptitseb..... please dont say youve got that running on Pandora, its my ultimate aim to get oolite running on it, and was one of the reasons why i opted for the opensourced consile originally, having spent a number of years helpung bring oolite to fruition, but the scripts on oolite were soo much easier to use than working with linux etc, as it had/has a windows version.. id donate huge amounts for someones time to get this across to pandora  :D

@ Ptitseb..... please dont say youve got that running on Pandora, its my ultimate aim to get oolite running on it, and was one of the reasons why i opted for the opensourced consile originally, having spent a number of years helpung bring oolite to fruition, but the scripts on oolite were soo much easier to use than working with linux etc, as it had/has a windows version.. id donate huge amounts for someones time to get this across to pandora  :D
Ah, that pair of screenshots came from my Gigahertz Pandora yes :)

Using glshim to make the GL graphics and using a freshly builded objc compiler for the occasion.

I'll try to package soon, with no key customisation, as I don't know well no play play to do any.

For now, there is no espeak module... i'll see if I can add that later.

sat here with bated breath, i wish i had a tiny fraction of your knowledge Ptitseb, id be your bottle washer for a month for just a glimpse lol! :)

Back