Your Most Wanted Ported Game On Pandora?

Starcraft might actually run on a (decent) port of dosbox running an old Windows version. It is definitely possible to run windows 95 and even 98 in dosbox on a mobile device, because it has been done for Pocket PCs.
I don't know about UDP networking, but starcraft itself is nowhere near as unlikely as Crysis, Halo, GTA IV, etc.

Also, why wouldn't linerider run in GNASH or a similar Flash implementation?

jbr said:
Starcraft might actually run on a (decent) port of dosbox running an old Windows version. It is definitely possible to run windows 95 and even 98 in dosbox on a mobile device, because it has been done for Pocket PCs.
I don't know about UDP networking, but starcraft itself is nowhere near as unlikely as Crysis, Halo, GTA IV, etc.

See here.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...42672&st=60
The assumption is slow speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
jbr said:

I doubt that Starcraft can run on dosbox on a Pocket PC - it's been a year or two since I ran it, but it was nowhere near good enough for fullspeed Pentium emulation.

also, Gnash doesn't run much right now, it's quite incomplete.

Completely valid point. Although, plenty of flash games leave cycles to spare, I believe. I think playing linerider at 80% speed or low quality mode would still be fun.
That starcraft thing would also be incredibly slow. It would be an emulated 486 running 95 running starcraft. It would be (most likely) unplayable, but it still doesn't belong in the "impossible" category.

Yes, but its also not likely to run on full speed, with the exception of the n64 version. The point im trying to make is that this thread has not exactly been serious or likely the entire time, and is more of a "wishlist" at this point. Not to say that people still dont have valid suggestions, but...

Lets say DirectX Is not an Issue.

How likely of a Frame rate is this thing going to get, even through something fast like WINE?

My old 1.4 GHz Laptop could hardly play IWBTG (2d sidescroller) through WINE.

Sorry if it seems I jumped on your post specifically. It was intended simply as an example. Some of the suggestions have probably been sarcastic (such as GTA IV or Crysis. At least I hope they were...), but yeah there are many posts in this thread asking for impossible ports.

Magnulus said:
That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the double analogues. A clone of Katamari. I could die happy if I could play Katamari on the go, so if someone wants to make it, I'll gladly go back into Blender and start making models for it.
You can die now. Um, I mean die happy. :)

You can die twice... as happy. ;)

chad78 said:
Magnulus said:
That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the double analogues. A clone of Katamari. I could die happy if I could play Katamari on the go, so if someone wants to make it, I'll gladly go back into Blender and start making models for it.

Speaking of Clones, A decent F-Zero Clone (That could work on the Pandora) would Rock.

Games I'd like to see ported (so, I'm assuming that means open source PC Linux games). Kshisen (or Gtk Shishen Sho Mahjongg)- it is my "must have" game.

Others include: TuxPaint, Kmahjongg, Freecell, KSame, Micropolis, LinCity, FreeCiv, SuperTux, NumptyPhysics, Xgalaga, GPE Sudoku, IceBreaker (Jezzball), Some form of Tetris, and snake....

KRH said:
chad78 said:
Magnulus said:

Speaking of Clones, A decent F-Zero Clone (That could work on the Pandora) would Rock.

Or better yet, a well emulated version! ;)

waffles said:
Or better yet, a well emulated version! ;)
Yah, if a N64 Emu could pump out 40+ FPS... Then The Pandora would never leave my person, EVER.

KRH said:
Yah, if a N64 Emu could pump out 40+ FPS... Then The Pandora would never leave my person, EVER.
Are you admitting Pandora could leave your side? Shame on you! ;)

BigTruck said:
Holy necropost, Batman!

Alright, since I don't think any of those are open source, they can't be ported. However, most of them were either apparently for dos or have a dos version and thus should run under dosbox, with the exception of Grim Fandango and QfG 5, as well as possibly the King's quest games. I'm not familiar with the AGS engine the King's Quest games use, but apparently there is no longer a current dos version of that, so they may or may not run, I don't know. QfG 5 has a psx version, so that should run.

psx? :huh:
QfG5 was only on PC and Mac. (The wiki for the game is off on that point.)
I know Win is out of the question for Pandora, - Might it handle Mac-for-Linux and be overclocked to play QFG5?

Mac Reqs:

120 MHz Power Macintosh
System 7.5 or higher
32 MB RAM
465 MB free hard disk space
16-bit video
6x CD-ROM drive

CeilidhaChaos said:
psx? :huh:
QfG5 was only on PC and Mac. (The wiki for the game is off on that point.)
I know Win is out of the question for Pandora, - Might it handle Mac-for-Linux and be overclocked to play QFG5?

Mac Reqs:

120 MHz Power Macintosh
System 7.5 or higher
32 MB RAM
465 MB free hard disk space
16-bit video
6x CD-ROM drive

Mac-on-Linux only runs on devices with PowerPC CPUs, it's not really an emulator. I don't think the Pandora is powerful enough to emulate a 120 MHz PowerPC anyway, unless a very highly optimized version of SheepShaver is written that is as proportionally fast as the PC version (1/8 speed), and even then you'd need the maximum possible overclock. I doubt this is possible, though.

Back