Release Aquaria

lunixbochs

Staff member
This is a port of Aquaria. It maybe stands to be optimized further, but it's in a pretty good place right now. It requires you to place the entire contents of a desktop Aquaria install into appdata/aquaria to before it will start.

Controls: left nub to move, left shoulder to interact, right shoulder to sing.

Get it on the Repo

screen.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As for getting the contents of a desktop Aquaria install, desktop as in Linux?  Or desktop as in Windows?  I have an installer for both from the Humble Bundle sale, but I don't have a Linux install to extract a deb, rpm or tar.gz from.  Is this a silly enough question?

I'm happy to have been a PND alpha-tester for this.  It's one of my favourite games, and runs quite good already.

It's a great demo for lunixbochs libGL.  Aquaria builds and runs playably well, without ANY source code changes to the game.

He did make a couple small tweaks to the code after that.  libGL is a treasure!

Aquaria also uses our neon-accelerated openAL library.  I'm not sure who did neon coding for that...

but the sound was choppy without it, and now it's smooth as silk!  Great job there, too.

I'll get busy and try to build / port / accelerate some other HIB1 games and such... :)

Penumbra Overture, anyone?  can take it to bed under the covers with you at night!!

That might be a bit demanding for the Pandora, but let's give it a go.

As for getting the contents of a desktop Aquaria install, desktop as in Linux?  Or desktop as in Windows?  I have an installer for both from the Humble Bundle sale, but I don't have a Linux install to extract a deb, rpm or tar.gz from.  Is this a silly enough question?
Look for the directories "data", "gfx", "scripts", etc :)  Shouldn't matter which OS.

Look for the directories "data", "gfx", "scripts", etc :)  Shouldn't matter which OS.
I see.  Because the instructions I read said to copy the whole directory, I was thinking different OS installs will have different things in that directory.  Maybe I just need every subfolder, I'll be carefully inclusive after extracting it again.

Very impressive game on pandora, runs well on 1GHz and a good job, lunixbochs. Fonts are a little to small for good reading, but this is owed by game graphics.

Thomas

I tried it on my ReBirth unit, overclocked to 980MHz. It's playable, but too slow (especially the menus).

It seems to be using much less than 100% CPU, so I guess it's limited by the GPU and will work better on a 1GHz unit for that reason. Would it be possible to do some more stuff on the CPU instead of doing it with the GPU, to help distribute the load better?

Anyway, very impressive and promising stuff!

One of the most beautiful ,stunning games I have ever played on the Pandora!!  :lol:    A must download!!

Plays smooth as silk.

Last edited:
Played it on a 1GHz Unit. Runs very good, maybe a little bit slower as on PC. But sound and controls are superb. Some controls I didn't get, e.g. the button for the map. But thats not so important.

you can double tap on the screen in the corner for the mapy, or else press Q. Not gotten to play this much, barely got it set up this morning before work! Pretty cool so far though :)

Played it on a Pandora CC with default drivers (tried other drivers, but had too many issues, so reverted to default ones), I think it is still a bit too slow to be enjoyable on a CC IMHO (for those who'd like to purchase the game). But LibGL is really an impressive achievement! Good job!

It will be one of the games I'll show off at PAX tomorrow for sure..

I played a little bit further. I had some big slow downs in the first action driven dream sequence. It seems when there is a lot of action (for germans: Arsch voll Action :D ) the framerate is going down rapidly

Maybe you can improve the speed for the CC units by reducing the texture size and compress the texture in a SGX friendly format. And maybe remove some alpha blending?

Back