April is here - so whats realistic :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to somebody in the other thread who knows more than me, CE is getting a prototype, but FCC is waiting for mass production.

I think they said most of the case is heading into MP [the molds are being made], but they're still working on that last piece.

What's the status of the Pandora shipment. How long might it take best case scenario? How long might it take realistically?

I think a realistic guess for the final shipment of the device will be around the end Q3 2009. (Late August or around September).

I would be surprised if it would ship earlier. I am sure the team wants to make sure that everything is tested, checked and up-to-par instead of rushing things.

people, do you really want them to waste their time for blogging an making vids? They're being very generous for doing that, but you shouldn't rush them to make vids... See, guys R wasting about the third day to make a good vid that suits your needs. Some ppl will relax then, but probably in some cases it's gonna be like throwing more petrol to the fire ;p EVEN MORE VIDS CRAIG!!!
p&|a :gp2x: p&|a :gp2x: p&|a :gp2x: p&|a :gp2x: p&|a

mrtymek said:
people, do you really want them to waste their time for blogging an making vids? They're being very generous for doing that, but you shouldn't rush them to make vids... See, guys R wasting about the third day to make a good vid that suits your needs. Some ppl will relax then, but probably in some cases it's gonna be like throwing more petrol to the fire ;p EVEN MORE VIDS CRAIG!!!
p&|a :gp2x: p&|a :gp2x: p&|a :gp2x: p&|a :gp2x: p&|a

theyve also been incredibly generous with release dates.

also noticed that the majority of recent updates have been software not hardware, and many belong to pickle

well your guy obviously knows his thing, pity its knitting!, now if he was QUALIFIED to make a comment about electronics development :p

@peircer....seriously, you trolls are so easy to spot, three posts and your qualified to speak for god, yeah! right!

prepare to eat crow very shortly.......

:p

p&|a :oops:

vaporware? ........ ROFLMAO

I know my thing too... but the last time I tried to show it to other people I got hit with a restraining order.

OBJECTION!

The Pandora only shares some of the chips from the BeagleBoard. The actual PCB is completely different, as they added a screen and all the controls and keyboard.

The rest of your comment is clearly also false, as they have posted at least a few videos and photos showing the CNC prototypes, which means they've been doing all the work they've claimed to be doing. They have not been doing "fuck all" at any point, except when waiting for factories to machine things for them.

It's not vaporware until they decide to do something stupid like completely change the scope of the device or scrap it. At this point, it's a prototype that's been delayed for reasons outside their control.

piercer said:
hobbyman 3 - I have yet to be proved wrong.

then you must be either 2 hours old and hence not been around long enough to do anything, or perfect, you ain`t learnt to post at such an early age, so you ain`t a newborn baby, and you ain`t perfect cos I am, and there is only one, so you must be delusional, really! going around thinking you are ME. :p

naturally, when you are proven wrong you will just fade out and never be heard from again, you just do it for the notoriety and to make people jump, that little kick of POWER eh?. :lol:

now sitting at keyboard with fingers in ears going LALALALA very loudly (can`t hear you :p )

oh just a minute, visual communications medium....er

now sitting at keyboard with fingers in eyes going............ AAAAAARGH! :wacko:

piercer said:
Is still hasn't been released?

lol

It will never be released...

You've yet to be proven correct either. However, the Pandora already exists in multiple quantities, so your chances of being correct are slim to none.

You've yet to be proven correct either

Well, this is a difficult one. It is in fact impossible for me to be proven correct on this one - its a bit like proving God doesn't exists - that is also impossible. HOWEVER, if in a year or two's time, you are still visiting these forums saying that the pandora will be released in a 'couple of months', stop moaning, then who knows...

However, the Pandora already exists in multiple quantities

Really? Got pictures? Final production units? etc... etc...

Have you seen an actual unit? Do you have first-hand knowledge of anyone who has seen an actual unit? Yes I started down this path sometime ago. Fanboys and girls were wetting themselves all over the planet.

Um.. yeah. They kind of have videos of them. They've been posting videos of them forever. And lots of pictures too. And they've kept us updated with the progress the entire time. To suggest that it doesn't exist or that it's not coming out is like saying the Earth is flat. It's not arguable. It's just fact.

Fanboyism? I think you're in the entirely wrong area of the internets, sir.

to be fair, there are still some hurdles that could trip them up and cause the entire project to collapse, but they're becoming less and less likely with each update.

Um.. yeah. They kind of have videos of them. They've been posting videos of them forever. And lots of pictures too. And they've kept us updated with the progress the entire time. To suggest that it doesn't exist or that it's not coming out is like saying the Earth is flat. It's not arguable. It's just fact.

I never suggested that 'they' don't exist, where 'they' means dev boards and funny plastic trial units. However I will tell you what does not exist - final production units - and they never will. Have you personally seen a video of a production unit? Have you seen photos of a production unit. If yes, then I am wrong, but please give me a link so I can verify it for myself.

piercer said:
However I will tell you what does not exist - final production units - and they never will. Have you personally seen a video of a production unit? Have you seen photos of a production unit. If yes, then I am wrong, but please give me a link so I can verify it for myself.

Ahh yes, because final production devices spring out of thin air without testing boards and prototypes. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all have contracts with Santa's Elves and the Fairy Godmother Kingdom to produce their final versions of everything they produce out of magic, wand-waving and sparkly-sparkles.

OpenPandoraLtd. has given us an unprecedented access to their development of the Pandora. Sony's Go has just been revealed, and is slated for retail sales 3 months from now, that includes "Shipping" time, and a few hundred-thousand units to each regional distributor.

They never took any comments during the prototype process, they never released any images of anything that wasn't the final type, you never saw their CNC molds or their R&D engineers rearranging the innards of the PSP to fit a new case...

For that matter many industry watchers were commenting that it seemed Sony was sitting on their hands about the PSP line, noting the lack of UMD publishing as a sign of the failing state of the PSP no more than four months ago, the PSP Go concept had to have been in the works by then or it wouldn't be where it is now. You just never got to see it. No-one got to see it unless they were a part of the project. No one ever gets to see the development process in those big companies because they have an image to spin and sell.

You gotta remember, the big hardware companies are like ordering fast food through the drive-up window. The only thing you see is your order completed and bagged ready to go. OpenPandora Ltd. is like a fine chocolate store where you can see the carmel in the giant brass pots bubbling on the burner while large quantities of popcorn are popping away, and molten chocolate is poured over a cookie sheet of fresh peanut-butter lumps and clusters of almonds. We're watching the production of the Pandora as it happens. We're seeing the behind the scenes that -any- company has to go through, large or small.

So, no, the final production models are aren't there because they haven't been made yet. It's a process, and they've been showing us that process in images and video, they've been sharing their progress step-by-step, all while maintaining their day jobs doing something else. They don't have an "In" with the leprechauns, and Harry Potter can't conjure them out of nothing without the permission of the Office of Commercial Magic.

Could the project be derailed? Sure, anything can happen. But the lack of a finished product isn't any sign of that having happened.

Welcome to the real world.

Edit:

And of course before we forget the "Well they promised them last year and it didn't happen so it never will..." argument...

The only people who seriously make this argument were apparently living in caves with no television or internet, and wondered why their newspaper wasn't being delivered, in the last quarter of last year when the banking systems of the world toppled like dominoes under bad lending practices. Every loan became suspect and gigantic, established companies couldn't get the routine loans that they regularly used to pay their employees. A small, startup manufacturing firm producing a unique computing device stood no chance of maintaining their existing loans under that level of paranoia and scrutiny, of course things fell apart.

It speak well of the them that they continued working with what they did have and continued improving the Pandora, rather than throwing up their hands and saying "We'll just have to wait until we can get a loan again."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back