Beta Appstore

craigix said:
Oh yeah, you guys are so much cooler than me, I love your appstores. Oh.. wait..

In other news, screenshot and video size is now equal to half the Pandora res (widescreen), works well. Almost ready for round two.
Well, I don't know about you, but I *do* actually think that my app store is kinda cool... I might decide to put up a demo site of it again (after having brought it up to date after its 6 months of slumber) to see what others think of it.

Also, thumbs up for progress! Great to hear that there'll be another round of testing soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
dflemstr said:
craigix said:
Oh yeah, you guys are so much cooler than me, I love your appstores. Oh.. wait..

In other news, screenshot and video size is now equal to half the Pandora res (widescreen), works well. Almost ready for round two.
Well, I don't know about you, but I *do* actually think that my app store is kinda cool... I might decide to put up a demo site of it again (after having brought it up to date after its 6 months of slumber) to see what others think of it.

Also, thumbs up for progress! Great to hear that there'll be another round of testing soon!

You should put it online, the more ideas the better.

@craigix just wondering why you went with pearl instead of php and mysql and a little spinkling of ajax?

p.s. id love to be able to beta test the app store.

milkshake said:
@craigix just wondering why you went with pearl instead of php and mysql and a little spinkling of ajax?

PHP and MySQL are as awful as Perl in many ways. If you want to do real web development, you have to either use Ruby on Rails, Erlang (via e.g. Nitrogen) or a Java Servlet Application (via e.g. Grails or Lift; there are literally thousands of frameworks)
I'm using Java Servlet + Lift but haven't gotten time to fix my code yet.

dflemstr said:
PHP and MySQL are as awful as Perl in many ways. If you want to do real web development, you have to either use Ruby on Rails, Erlang (via e.g. Nitrogen) or a Java Servlet Application (via e.g. Grails or Lift; there are literally thousands of frameworks)

Sounds cool. How will you store account information (favorites and ratings I guess) and such without a DB?

senorgomez said:
dflemstr said:

Sounds cool. How will you store account information (favorites and ratings I guess) and such without a DB?
I do of course use a DB but I leave the choice of DB to the user. I support H2, PostgreSQL, MySQL and OracleDB at the moment. You can specify in a config file which one you want, and the backend is DB-agnostic.

You forgot Python+Django, my personal favorite :). Java servlet-based solutions (struts2, spring) follow as a close second.

But now I'm deRAILing the entire thread. Sorry 'bout that. I guess everyone's waiting for the second attack run though :)

dflemstr said:
milkshake said:

why would u use java servlet? If your gonna use java as apposed to JavaScript u might aswell use flash as it's not native to browsers like jaascript is, u need a plug in to use it, sun microsystems crap (not saying java is rubbish or anything a decade ago people thought is was the future of Internet)..

From what I read in regards to webdesign asynchronous javascipt is the way forward along with HTML 5 I'll leave the server side choice to the delelopers preference but I like php becuase it's starting to be a very powerfull object orientated programing language and there are plenty of resources on the web for help developing using
php :).

I did it with perl and use basic HTML so it will run on any device which can just about browse the web - and it will run quickly.

Speed of render, simplicity and friendliness to low resolutions was the main goal. It does not need to be anything anymore complex.

The way it actually reads and renders the sections is pretty fast. It's all cached as text and just spits it out.

It's never going to have tens of thousands of users online at once, just look at the forum stats to see what is probably a good comparison.

milkshake said:
why would u use java servlet? If your gonna use java as apposed to JavaScript u might aswell use flash as it's not native to browsers like jaascript is, u need a plug in to use it, sun microsystems crap (not saying java is rubbish or anything a decade ago people thought is was the future of Internet)..
Please read about what "Java Servlets" are. It has *nothing* to do with Javascript, and *nothing* to do with Java applets or browser plugins.

It just means that you use Java on the *server*. So, the HTML for the web pages is generated via Java code. The user won't ever notice that the server uses Java; Java is just a good server backend for servers (it's the fastest thing there is, in fact)

Some pages that use Java predominantly for their web stuff:
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Facebook
  • GMail/all of the Google applications

I'm sorry, but I'd really have expected you to know what Servlets are before posting that response.

To clarify: Craigix uses Perl to generate the HTML for the app store. But do you need a browser Perl plugin? No.

dflemstr said:
milkshake said:
Please read about what "Java Servlets" are. It has *nothing* to do with Javascript, and *nothing* to do with Java applets or browser plugins.

It just means that you use Java on the *server*. So, the HTML for the web pages is generated via Java code. The user won't ever notice that the server uses Java; Java is just a good server backend for servers (it's the fastest thing there is, in fact)

Some pages that use Java predominantly for their web stuff:
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Facebook
  • GMail/all of the Google applications

I'm sorry, but I'd really have expected you to know what Servlets are before posting that response.

To clarify: Craigix uses Perl to generate the HTML for the app store. But do you need a browser Perl plugin? No.

I'm sorry I though u was refering to java applets I read ur post too quickly my appology I feel slightly embarressed now :)

dont see a point in using a porsche to deliver the milk...
all this talk of servlets and shiny stuff which unless someone wants to code it for us they wont happen.

atm it what we have works and works well.

Trevsweb said:
unless someone wants to code it for us they wont happen.
I already have the code ready. Look: http://github.com/dflemstr/pndmanager

I'm in the process of rewriting it and bringing it up to scratch.

Now enough offtopic talk, let's wait until the next beta round of the AppStore; once I'm done with my app I'll make a separate thread for it.

Trevsweb said:
dont see a point in using a porsche to deliver the milk...
all this talk of servlets and shiny stuff which unless someone wants to code it for us they wont happen.

atm it what we have works and works well.

Some like their milk a little fresher.

This is a little OT:

Can we get a Repository full of PND's in conjunction with the AppStore?

Is it possible to add all Apps located in the AppStore also placed in a Repo (to save "double handling").
Maybe a script or something? I'm no programmer.

no not forgotten just theres a lot on the plate of the Craigster! :) we will keep you updated if we add anything and if things need testing :)

Back