Beta Appstore

Cool. Now, you can't just go smashing it up if you find a way to do it, you need to keep notes and document your moves so I can fix them.

I'll make a hidden forum topic so we can post things on here without annoying the other members.

That can start approx Sunday evening.

Must get back to my own bug hunting on it!

Thanks everyone (and anyone who still joins up).

craigix said:
Cool. Now, you can't just go smashing it up if you find a way to do it, you need to keep notes and document your moves so I can fix them.

I'll make a hidden forum topic so we can post things on here without annoying the other members.

Count me in, too. I can do the following things:
  • Test the thing in any browser/version except IE
  • Do CSS and HTML checks to see if something can be optimized, is redundant, or doesn't comply to the HTML standard.
  • Do JS injection to see if your JavaScript is sane (e.g. by checking that I can't change my password just by changing a JS variable ;))
  • I assume that you use AJAX (Who doesn't these days? It's de-facto for webapps) so I can test that too.
  • Do POST modifications so as to check that the app doesn't crash when it gets faulty input
  • Spider the web page to try to get hold of sensitive and exposed information.

Last edited by a moderator:
dflemstr said:
craigix said:

Count me in, too. I can do the following things:
  • Test the thing in any browser/version except IE
  • Do CSS and HTML checks to see if something can be optimized, is redundant, or doesn't comply to the HTML standard.
  • Do JS injection to see if your JavaScript is sane (e.g. by checking that I can't change my password just by changing a JS variable ;) )
  • I assume that you use AJAX (Who doesn't these days? It's de-facto for webapps) so I can test that too.
  • Do POST modifications so as to check that the app doesn't crash when it gets faulty input
  • Spider the web page to try to get hold of sensitive and exposed information.

That sounds great, you sound like you know how to hack a website, could you also do some cookie messing?

I don't use Java or AJAX though. I've written all my own libs. This is partially why it needs the major bug hunting :)

As a long time reader of the forum who is eagerly awaiting his Pandora to arrive it would be an honor to have my first post be to provide help to the community!

:)

craigix said:
I don't use Java or AJAX though. I've written all my own libs. This is partially why it needs the major bug hunting :)
I didn't mean Java, I meant JavaScript (sorry for causing the confusion - JS can also stand for Java Servlets as I recall now).

And, AJAX is a HTTP/JavaScript-based messaging protocol that allows you to send messages to the server without reloading a web page; it's not a library (but there are libraries that use the technology).

If you don't use neither yet, you really should; reloading web-pages is soo 20th century, and so are static web-pages ;)
It's really easy to do by using e.g. http://jquery.com/

Cookies? Yeah, sure, that's partially what I meant by "POST modifications".

stuff like AJAX will make it in at a later stage when we get the ball rolling with the static site...(maybe lol)
no point having it flashy if it doesnt do the job its supposed to do.

Trevsweb said:
stuff like AJAX will make it in at a later stage when we get the ball rolling with the static site...(maybe lol)
Oh, well, you could use it for flashiness, I guess... I was more referring to stuff like AJAX-based searching, which would reduce the load on the server significantly with lazy searches. Etc.

dflemstr said:
Trevsweb said:
Oh, well, you could use it for flashiness, I guess... I was more referring to stuff like AJAX-based searching, which would reduce the load on the server significantly with lazy searches. Etc.

+1 for AJAX. Done correctly, it greatly improves the end user experience.

Back