Appstore.. Really?

The Box
The Box
The Box
The Box

Enough?
Look- it's simple, it's easy to type, it's catchy and it's witty without overdoing it and thus getting old.

Awakening said:
AppBox is easier to say, shorter and everybody knows what it is from the name alone.

Yea, I probably shouldn't start this, but I find it easier to say 'the box' than 'appbox'. With appbox I say something like 'appox' or 'app *awkward mouth movements* box'.
'Sides, you'd still say "It's in the appbox". Then just removing 'app' is shorter, too :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Vlynndar said:
Awakening said:
AppBox is easier to say, shorter and everybody knows what it is from the name alone.

Yea, I probably shouldn't start this, but I find it easier to say 'the box' than 'appbox'. With appbox I say something like 'appox' or 'app *awkward mouth movements* box'.
'Sides, you'd still say "It's in the appbox". Then just removing 'app' is shorter, too :lol:

+1, "The Box" is easier to say.

If a noob wonders where they can find an app and someone says it's in the box they will look inside the box the Pandora came in and wonder if something is missing :rolleyes:

Oh and "have you seen the The Box website" and "you can find it on the The Box website" etc. sounds really weird don't you think?

Awakening said:
If a noob wonders where they can find an app and someone says it's in the box they will look inside the box the Pandora came in and wonder if something is missing :rolleyes:

Oh and "have you seen the The Box website" and "you can find it on the The Box website" etc. sounds really weird don't you think?

For one, I why add "website"? Why not just say "have you seen the The Box" and "you can find it in the The Box". Second, it can be differentiated from the box the unit comes in via capitalization (the box vs. The Box).

I understand your concern, but do not agree :)

B-ZaR said:
Awakening said:

For one, I why add "website"? Why not just say "have you seen the The Box" and "you can find it in the The Box". Second, it can be differentiated from the box the unit comes in via capitalization (the box vs. The Box).

I understand your concern, but do not agree :)
If you are talking about the website then you add it to the name, like the Google website or the Apple website. It could also be the The Box store etc.

There are so many who will write the box as The Box :rolleyes: About as many as those who writes nVidia. Compare that to appbox, Appbox or even app box and people will still know what it's about. Oh and imagine doing a forum search for the box, or worse, a Google serach :)

I'm surprised you put 'the' in front of 'The Box'. Seems redundant.

"I have a new app ready, it's on/in The Box!"

And I'm sure that after someone foolishly googles "the box", their next search will be "pandora + the box".
If that info isn't already in the manual and a bookmark in the default browser.

Trevsweb said:
grasshoppir said:
it's not app exclusive and it's not a (retail) store?

erm the only this not app related is maybe firmware downloads and maybe themes/skins the rest will be applications for the panda.
it will also sell premium content too eventually when theres a market for such things

i admit i dont see the app part lasting long in its title before it has to be changed but thats really just a minor portion of having a reliable place for our panda downloads.
its something that can be changed within an hour and not make a huge difference. pndstore or "pandora place for downloads and maybe buying applications thing" has a nice ring to it
thanks for answering my questions ;) that said, i dont care what they call the repo!

I still think that something more generic would be better. If the community works together, we can add the GP2X/WIZ like it has been mentioned and maybe other future open handhelds. One place to go for several devices broadens the consumer base and makes the store more interesting for developers. Open Handheld Marketplace or OpenMarket or whatever else generic sounds best to me.

AppBox or The Box are nice for the Pandora console alone, but maybe we should add more vision to the idea of an appstore for Open Source handhelds.

"The Box" might be generic enough if we claim that, yes, it does fit rather nicely with the Pandora theme, but it's also like a toybox without just toys.
I'd expect all kinds of stuff inside a box.

I know where you guys are trying to go with "the box," but it really is ridiculous. First, just to clarify, is it The Box? Or just Box? If it is the former, it doesn't work. Same problem with people saying "FM Modulation." There's an unnecessary redundancy there that is omitted. Honesty. The The Box?

The "The box." Every time you're saying "The Box" you're omitting the first 'the' so you don't sound dumb.

And just calling it Box? Well, in this case, it would be the "Box." But seriously? Box? What the fuck kind of lame shit is that?

Good thing people with actual sense are the ones picking the name.

ikeadickinthebox0.gif

Fuck the The Box.

(Hey, did you just studder?)
(No asshole, now go buy me some cardboard boxes from the The Box store)

I did get this in right before you posted:
TLJRyan said:
ikeadickinthebox0.gif

Fuck the The Box.

(Hey, did you just studder?)
(No asshole, now go buy me some cardboard boxes from the The Box store)
Same idea.
Awakening said:

Why haven't anyone posted this yet?
Let's consolidate all the reasons not to use the The Box into one post and keep re-posting it.

TrashyMG said:
The term App has never been a Mac Exclusive term. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_software.. Actually I remember hearing this term prob as early back for PC as 1989... Back in 1997 when I got my first CD burner I used to back up my downloads on CDs I labeled "Games Apps and Misc".
Thanks for this, TrashyMG. I knew it went back a long way, but I couldn't verify anything about 1989 as no particularly great number of people cared about x86 PCs until around 1996 over here. Also, that's spooky - I label my backups exactly like that.

Anyway, I guess I just can't understand why people say "Ugh, 'app' - it's associated with Apple!", when it's simply not. (I will continue to use the term "App" in the same way as you and Kramy. Always have. :) )

Kramy said:
My point was that I think of all programs as "Apps".
So do I. :)

Do they really have a trademark on "App Store"?
Yes, they do. (I've placed the info in spoiler tags because there's a lot of text.)
Word Mark APP STORE
Goods and Services IC 035. US 100 101 102. G & S: Retail store services featuring computer software provided via the internet and other computer and electronic communication networks; Retail store services featuring computer software for use on handheld mobile digital electronic devices and other consumer electronics. FIRST USE: 20080306. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20080710

IC 038. US 100 101 104. G & S: Electronic transmission of data via the internet, global computer networks, wireless networks and electronic communication networks; Providing access to global computer networks, wireless networks and electronic communications networks for transmission or receipt of data. FIRST USE: 20080306. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20080710

IC 042. US 100 101. G & S: Maintenance, repair and updating of computer software; Providing a website featuring technical information relating to computer software provided; Providing computer software consulting services; technical support services, namely, troubleshooting in the nature of diagnosing and repairing computer software problems; computer services, namely, providing search engines for obtaining data via electronic communications networks; Providing temporary use of non-downloadable computer software to enable users to program, organize and access audio, video, text, multimedia content and third-party computer software programs; Internet services, namely, creating indexes of information, sites, and other resources available on global computer networks for others; Searching and retrieving information, sites, and other resources available on global computer networks and other electronic communication networks for others. FIRST USE: 20080306. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20080710
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 77525433
Filing Date July 17, 2008
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1B;44D
Published for Opposition January 5, 2010
Owner (APPLICANT) Apple Inc. CORPORATION CALIFORNIA 1 Infinite Loop Cupertino CALIFORNIA 95014
Attorney of Record Jason Vogel
Priority Date March 7, 2008
Prior Registrations 2424976;2462798;2683410
Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "STORE" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL-2(F)
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

There is also an apparently dead trademark for "Appstore" (I guess the lack of a space makes a difference), which apparently belonged to Sage Networks, and was filed in 1998;
Word Mark APPSTORE
Goods and Services (ABANDONED) IC 042. US 100 101. G & S: providing computer software application hosting services by means of a global computer information network, where such services allow multiple users to rent software applications developed by applicant or third parties
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 75542841
Filing Date August 26, 1998
Current Filing Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition February 29, 2000
Owner (APPLICANT) SAGE NETWORKS, INC. CORPORATION BY ASSIGNMENT DELAWARE 215 FIRST STREET CAMBRIDGE MASSACHUSETTS 02142
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record John P. Courtney
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Abandonment Date November 24, 2000

There's also "@Metro App Store", which is interesting because it incorporates what I assume is the name of a service, and still manages to use "App Store";
Word Mark @Metro APP STORE
Goods and Services IC 035. US 100 101 102. G & S: Online retail store services featuring computer software provided via the internet, wireless networks or a global computer information network and other computer and electronic communication networks for use on handheld mobile digital electronic devices

IC 038. US 100 101 104. G & S: Electronic transmission of data via the internet, global computer networks, wireless networks and electronic communication networks

IC 042. US 100 101. G & S: Providing computer software application hosting services by means of a global computer information network, for facilitating purchase of software applications for use on handheld mobile digital electronic devices
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 77791918
Filing Date July 29, 2009
Current Filing Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition December 29, 2009
Owner (APPLICANT) MetroPCS Wireless, Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE 2250 Lakeside Boulevard Richardson TEXAS 75082
Attorney of Record David L. Odom
Prior Registrations 2784778;2792316;2977779;AND OTHERS
Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "APP STORE" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

These are only the results of a brief online search of the US system. (I couldn't get my head around the UK equivalent, it felt like I was being bombarded with needless fluff.)

I really hate names that are hard to pronounce and have no connection to actual words. Unless you know what they represent, and are fluent in the same language, they leave you scratching your head.
Even if you do know what they represent and are fluent in the same language, some names are still confusing! :lol: I've seen plenty of names out there that have outright made me cringe - those are the worst, I think, because every time I see them I end up thinking "Why did somebody approve this for use in the real world?".

Random related fact: I have a 3-volume dictionary in my bookcase. Those things are heavy. If you hit someone over the head with one of them, they'd probably get a concussion.
Don't give it to WizardStan!

mali said:
I still think that something more generic would be better. If the community works together, we can add the GP2X/WIZ like it has been mentioned and maybe other future open handhelds. One place to go for several devices broadens the consumer base and makes the store more interesting for developers. Open Handheld Marketplace or OpenMarket or whatever else generic sounds best to me.

AppBox or The Box are nice for the Pandora console alone, but maybe we should add more vision to the idea of an appstore for Open Source handhelds.
This. I'm highly amused by "OpenMarket". :D

Back