applications don't show up

sukhi2011

I installed apps from the internet into file system into pandora, they don't show up on the menu or on the desktop and i can't see them with file manager, why is that happening.

As above stated, you need to stick to the PND format of the directories within the Pandora folder, as to where you want things to show up. The only applications that can be installed to the filesystem itself, are ones from the Angstrom repository, that requires you to install them using the terminal with "sudo opkg update" as a first command, which will grab an updated list of what's available, followed by "sudo opkg install <NAMEOFDESIREDAPPLICATION".

In general though you will only wish to do this, if either a) you know what your doing and what your after or B) you are following a thread here which suggests exactly what program you need and the exact command to install it is offered in the thread.

Otherwise steer well clear, as you are installing to the NAND (unless booting to an SD card) and you can easily mess things up and require to reflash your unit (perfectly safe and fast but a hassle nonetheless).

The only exception to this, is where occasionally notaz will link to an uploaded .ipk file (which to my limited knowledge is a downloaded opkg obtained package) which can be "sudo install <notazHACKYPATCH>.ipk" via the terminal and it will install as though you had used "sudo opkg install" yourself. Otherwise stick to the PND system in the wiki link.

so it's not good idea to install in the nand memory,but where did the files install to, so i can delete them.

That depends on how you downloaded the PNDs.

One way of finding the location of the PNDs is the following:

- open a terminal

- write "sudo updatedb" and enter your userpassword

- wait until the command has finished

- write "locate .pnd" and read the output.

Now you know the directories where PNDs are located in. Carefully think about which PNDs you want to delete. For example: In "/usr/pandora/mmenu/" and "/usr/pandora/apps/" there are PNDs that belong to the Pandora-operating-system. You do NOT want to delete them.

Maybe you better do not use the terminal for deleting the pnd-files. Use the "File System"-icon from the desktop and go to the directories that were listed in the terminal-output.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if I confused you. I am bad with words and worse with people. As Lomaxx says, it depends how you downloaded the files. Were they PND files or something else?

Lomaxx instructions look like the knowledge proper good way, of locating whatever you did, correcting it and walking off without any confused face needed but we may need brother Notaz here (plus a kebab) just to be sure
wink.gif

That depends on how you downloaded the PNDs.

One way of finding the location of the PNDs is the following:

- open a terminal

- write "sudo updatedb" and enter your userpassword

- wait until the command has finished

- write "locate .pnd" and read the output.

Now you know the directories where PNDs are located in. Carefully think about which PNDs you want to delete. For example: In "/usr/pandora/mmenu/" and "/usr/pandora/apps/" there are PNDs that belong to the Pandora-operating-system. You do NOT want to delete them.

Maybe you better do not use the terminal for deleting the pnd-files. Use the "File System"-icon from the desktop and go to the directories that were listed in the terminal-output.
it won't accept my password, when i type the first letter it automatically comes with error saying sorry try again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back