organization help

khunkao

Still Fresh
I'm a noob here but when I try to use PNDStore to directly install something like Chromium or Sylpheed email client and I install them to \media\pandora\apps

I can't find them anywhere on the desktop or the menus.  They aren't showing up in minimenu either.  However I do see the file there when I check in File Manager.  Is it because I have too many icons on the desktop (I install a lot of emulators and programs)?

It also seems like the screen is too small and a lot of the bottoms of the dialog boxes are getting cut off

Re: The dialog boxes. Hold shift (left shoulder button) and drag them around (touch screen or nubs) to access all the buttons. I dont know about your other problem...

Go directly to the repo pages for the programs you're having trouble with ( Sylpheed / Chromium ), and check that the file size stated matches the size of the pnd sitting on your SD card, in case it is corrupt or incomplete. Try downloading directly from the repo instead of using pndstore, double checking the size of your download.

If your desktop is full of icons, just move any pnds you don't really need there into pandora/menu instead, I've no idea what the symptoms are if it's overflowing - I just keep Firefox and SMPlayer 2 on my desktop ;)

First off, dont download Chromium. Chrome=/=Chromium Chromium is awful

Secondly, just try downloading them from repo.openpandora.org and see if that fixes your problem

Also install PNDManager, stop using PND Store. PNDStore is a tiny program that does a simple job, but the Manager is significantly better. For starters it looks cleaner, but it also has a progress bar and warns you of failed downloads.

Works great...I downloaded from repo and it worked!  Thank you. 

Where exactly does one install the .pnd manger to ? appdata,apps,menu or desktop?

Last edited:
Where exactly does one install the .pnd manger to ? appdata,apps,menu or desktop?
PNDs put in apps show up in the menu and the desktop

PNDs put in menu just show up in the menu

PNDs put in desktop just show up on the desktop.

Where you put particular PNDs is just you personal preference - though you never put any in appdata - that the directory that PNDs use to write to.

Here's the problem sometimes.  I put PNDs in those menus and I don't see them when I pull up the menu.  It's no where to be found but I can see them in the File Manager. 

Could be a few things. Possibly a corrupt PND and redownloading it will fix it. Possibly the daemon didn't notice the new file, or it was trying to update the menu at the same time the menu was accessed so the update failed; a quick fix to that is to just restart and see if it appears.

Try rebooting first, see if it shows up. If that doesn't work, redownload the PND and try again.

It was the latter - rebooting helped.  Thanks. 

What about things like copying and pasting with the stylus? 

PNDs put in apps show up in the menu and the desktop

PNDs put in menu just show up in the menu

PNDs put in desktop just show up on the desktop.

Is there actually any rhyme or reason in the way apps show up on the desktop? The apps on the desktop don't seem to be the most recent (created or used) files or in alphabetical order - they seem to be a random selection and don't change unless the SD card or a file is removed and then another random selection is chosen. Are they actually random?

How can I influence/ensure my most used files to appear on the desktop? (other than by moving all others out of the Apps/Desktop folders ;)   )

Last edited by a moderator:
You can drag and drop icons to new locations by clicking and dragging with the nubs, or by holding the stylus to one, then pressing the left shoulder button before dragging it to the new location.

Also, the desktop icon layout is saved in ~/Applications/Settings/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0.rc

If you edit that file directly, then unmount and remount the card all the icons will be loaded in the selected locations. Row and column numbers start at 0.

EDIT: drag and drop only works if you have at least one empty space on the screen. Though I have to wonder at the point of having more PNDS in the desktop or apps folders than will fit on the screen, and I reckon moving all but those you want to keep there to the menu folder is probably a sound idea.

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the problem sometimes.  I put PNDs in those menus and I don't see them when I pull up the menu.  It's no where to be found but I can see them in the File Manager. 
I have a similar situation (don't remember the cause ..but i think it's a bug in latest firmware) to avoid rebooting i switch to minimenu and came back to XFCE and magically

all the prog/games are on the menu

Back