Cannot get /etc/pandora/conf/apps to work

Kainekokun

Still Fresh
Hello.

Seems like every time I get around to play with the pandora, I manage to run into a problem I cannot seem to solve myself.

I've read up a bit about the /etc/pandora/conf directory, and found that one can configure there, where the system (or rather, pndnotifyd) looks for installed .pnd files.

Now, I've had to re-install my SD card from scratch to get the latest firmware on it, and I decided that I want to try and get the pnds I install to be installed in my home directory, which should be much more portable should I need to re-flash the SD card when the next update comes around.

So, I went and edited the /etc/pandora/conf/apps file and added ":/home/*/apps" to both the searchpath and the notifypath. There is no /etc/pandora/conf/conf file, so I do believe I am editing the correct file.

Alas, any .pnd files I put in there don't show up on the menu system at all. I tried sending the HUP signal to the pndnotifyd process, I even tried re-booting. I am using firmware version 1.51 and kernel 3.2.

Am I trying to do something that is unsupported, or am I just going about it all wrong? I just want to install PND files in another directory than /usr/pandora/apps because that's where system stuff lives.

Thanks for reading!

I just noticed something: the PNDstore lists all the PND files I have in my home dir as installed, so the only problem is, that they don't show up in the UI menu ... I am using the XFCE menu ... I'll have a look at this.

A little digging further, and I believe I understand that pndnotifyd *should* generate .desktop files for the PND files in /usr/share/applications, but that is not happening ... can I force this? Or am I missing a bit of config for this to happen?

Success! I had to add the same path to the file /etc/pandora/applications/desktop. Sorry for the fuss, nothing to see here (unless you have the same problem as I had and might find this useful).

Back