Anyone Willing To Help?

Maoman123

Still Fresh
So I just recently got a Caanoo, and I have some questions. Before I start, though, I just want to point out that I'm very experienced with computers in general, quick to learn, and moderately experienced with emulators and ROMs in general. So far, the best place I've found to find files is http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi I've updated to 1.5.0 successfully and i've already installed Snes9x4C (henceforth referred to as Snes9) and PocketSNES (and Pocket), plus about 15 of my favorite games from... where I get them (not supposed to link to Rom sites, right?). The only reason I only have SNES stuff is simply because I haven't gotten around to trying anything else yet. Also, I am completely unfamiliar with Linux, unfortunately. I WOULD be, had I not gotten an iMac recently. I was getting progressively more tired of windows and was planning on installing Linux soon... then got my Mac. The only reason I haven't installed Linux on this is because I haven't found a reason to not like Mac, aside from a smaller game base (with which Steam has helped TREMENDOUSLY - seems I picked a good time to switch to mac). Anyways, here are my (for now) two questions:

1) I hear a lot of good things about Pocket, and those who use it say it's better than Snes9, but whenever I start Pocket, it freezes at the main screen and makes white noise. The only thing I can do is a force shut down (I assume that's what it is - holding the power button down for like 10 or 15 seconds). Anyone have some advice?

2) I've heard the term "overclocking" thrown around a lot, but have no idea where to use it, the risks involved, what exactly it does (I assume allows the CPU to run faster, but I don't really know)... basically everything whoever helps me is willing to explain.

Also, any other advice anyone is willing to share would be more than welcome. Thank you for any help and i'm looking forward to moy new toy. ^_^ I'm sure the Koreans will do better than the Chinese... the Dingoo A-320 is such a POS; A huge disappointment.

1) Yeah, that is a forced shut down. Some people have had problems with PocketSNES - what's your directory setup?
2) Overclocking refers to making the Caanoo's CPU (or a CPU in general) run at a faster rate than designed. For PC CPU's, overclocking could fry your CPU or other motherboard components. The same principle may apply to the Caanoo. When you overclock a CPU, making it run faster makes the game or application running makes the program run faster (instead of 15 FPS, for example, you get 60). However, overclock it too much and your Caanoo will crash - which isn't usually a big deal because you can easily turn off your Caanoo before any damage comes to it. Also, overclocking drains the battery.

1) Just simply the .ini file and the folder directly in the apps folder, nothing complicated.

2) Basic basics are basic. How do I do it (or just link me to someone that's already explained) and what are some generally-held limits? Meaning how fast do most people consider a good balance of speed, power, and battery life? From what little i've heard, I think (but am in no way certain) that the CPU's default is 533MHz, and the general safe limit is 750. How will I know when to stop - when i've overclocked it too fast?

3) Also, another question to add - if anyone has any ideas on good programs that would help me out with my mac, feel free to suggest anything. So far, I just transfer everything by switching my SD card back and forth.

Sorry about my delayed replies... gotta make money. :D

Maoman said:
1) Just simply the .ini file and the folder directly in the apps folder, nothing complicated.

I don't know, if this can cause problems, but the from what is written in the default ini file of DrPocketSNes, the Caanoo assumes it is placed in the game folder:
group="GAME"

I never tried to put a program in the apps folder, without changing the ini file to group"APPS", so I don't know if this can cause trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't even know about that, much less do anything about it. After reading your reply, however, I tried a couple things. Before, It would open the program main menu, work fine for about half a second (as in the background would move and if i'm quick, I can get the selector highlight thing to move once), then it freezes and makes white noise, even with the volume down. I went into the .ini file and changed it to group="APPS" and it did exactly the same thing.... except it said "saving" at the bottom, highlighted, when it froze. Then I change the .ini back to GAME and put the whole program in the game folder and it does the same exact thing it did originally, so that's apparently not my problem.

Thanks for the help though! We're eliminating possible problems. :)

Also, is there a way to "watch" a topic, so it will email me or remind me in some way when someone's posted in it? I'll look around in the meanwhile and throw in an edit if I find it, but if I don't, i'll be waiting to hear from anyone who will help.

EDIT: The one time I didn't look before I asked, it's staring me right in the face - of course. I almost always try to solve it myself first... I guess I should go back to that. XD

Maoman said:
I didn't even know about that, much less do anything about it. After reading your reply, however, I tried a couple things. Before, It would open the program main menu, work fine for about half a second (as in the background would move and if i'm quick, I can get the selector highlight thing to move once), then it freezes and makes white noise, even with the volume down. I went into the .ini file and changed it to group="APPS" and it did exactly the same thing.... except it said "saving" at the bottom, highlighted, when it froze. Then I change the .ini back to GAME and put the whole program in the game folder and it does the same exact thing it did originally, so that's apparently not my problem.

Thanks for the help though! We're eliminating possible problems. :)

You said, you changed the ini file, did you use the windows notepad for this? If you edit an ini file, you have to use a program like notepad 2, otherwise you can get problems. So I would suggest, that you try to extract the zip (without any changed ini) into the game folder and try it again, this MAY help, I heard of other people having the same issue as you, but never heard, if they solved the problem. I don't use the firmware 1.5.0, I use 1.0.6, cause it is faster in some programs, but from what I heard, it works for people on 1.5.0.

CKeichel said:
You said, you changed the ini file, did you use the windows notepad for this? If you edit an ini file, you have to use a program like notepad 2, otherwise you can get problems. So I would suggest, that you try to extract the zip (without any changed ini) into the game folder and try it again, this MAY help, I heard of other people having the same issue as you, but never heard, if they solved the problem. I don't use the firmware 1.5.0, I use 1.0.6, cause it is faster in some programs, but from what I heard, it works for people on 1.5.0.

I'm on a mac and used Bean. I switched back to the 1.0.6 firmware because I heard that it works better/faster with some programs (hoping that PCSX4ALL would run better), and now it still freezes and plays static, except the screen is blacked out. *shrug* I've sort of given up on pocket... Been working more on getting PCSX to work, since a lot of snes games work fine on Snes9. It's just the Mode 7 crap that won't work (or rather works, but is ridiculously slow), so unless someone knows another way to play mode 7 stuff on my caanoo, i'm just gonne play it on a computer emulator. (the only mode 7 game I know of and like is Mario RPG anyways.)

On a side note, relating to PCSX.... I REALLY FRIGGING MISS LEGENDS OF DRAGOON AND MEGAMAN LEGENDS. (and megaman x5, but that's working alright on the caanoo.) XD

Maoman said:
On a side note, relating to PCSX.... I REALLY FRIGGING MISS LEGENDS OF DRAGOON AND MEGAMAN LEGENDS. (and megaman x5, but that's working alright on the caanoo.) XD

i recently got legend of dragoon working at about 85% with save states and all! check the pcsx4all news thread for settings.

Maoman, about the drpocketsnes emulator problem, the only thing I can tell you is that you had bad luck with your caanoo. All caanoos purchased built with the 1.0.7 version have that problem with drpocketsnes. Mine too. And there's no known solution by the moment...

superUNICORN said:
Maoman, about the drpocketsnes emulator problem, the only thing I can tell you is that you had bad luck with your caanoo. All caanoos purchased built with the 1.0.7 version have that problem with drpocketsnes. Mine too. And there's no known solution by the moment...

Um... I have 1.0.6, and that was flashed onto the caanoo by me. I haven't heard anything about 1.0.7, and in any case, it does the same problem with 1.0.6 and 1.5.0.

blues2 said:
i recently got legend of dragoon working at about 85% with save states and all! check the pcsx4all news thread for settings.

Where did you get your iso from? My problem is that it won't start at all. When I go to start LoD, it just resets PCSX and goes back to the game select menu, almost immediately.

Dingoo A-320 is such a POS; A huge disappointment.

What didn't you like about the dingoo? Did you install dingux? The emulators are very very nice and are right on track with the caanoo emulators with the exception of the psx. I love my caanoo hate my wiz but love the dingoo it is far from a POS.

qbertaddict said:
What didn't you like about the dingoo? Did you install dingux? The emulators are very very nice and are right on track with the caanoo emulators with the exception of the psx. I love my caanoo hate my wiz but love the dingoo it is far from a POS.

It was, overall, very cheaply made. It showed more obviously in superficial stuff like the paint on the buttons wearing off within a month (ridiculously fast), then it showed more substantially when it started bricking, and I fixed it, then it bricked again, and after a few cycles of that, it bricked one last time and nothing would fix it. I must have followed a half dozen websites and checked and/or read a dozen more and could never get it to unbrick. Pissed me off big time. It didn't help that I had Vista at the time and it wouldn't communicate, so I had to do everything through this century old laptop with xp on it.

Please don't try to help me with it - I'm done with it and honestly, don't even know or care where in my room it has ended up. The Caanoo works well so far - we'll see how it holds up long term.

Back