Rom Help (Mame & Cps2)

codenut

Still Fresh
So I've had my Caanoo for about a month and words can't describe how much I love this thing.......but recently I have started to add arcade games to my Caanoo and I can't seem to get anything to work on it.

MAME  :

I don't know how many games I have downloaded for different ROM sites (I'd say about 20 or so) and I've gotten a grand total of 1 to work (Pac-Man Plus).  I have read up on this for about a week now about why these games aren't working......and I've pretty much came to the conclusion that (1) I need an older version of MAME4ALL or (2) I need some sort of conversion tool to convert these MAME roms to the current version.

That's where I'm at right now with MAME

CPS2 :

I have gotten nothing to work on CPS2 so far.  I've pretty much made a cache file for each game and I still get errors (either a black screen or a CPS1 file is missing).  I've really only been playing around with the CPS2 emulator for about a week now......but I'd figured I'd get that question out of the way too while I'm at it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...........thank you!

There is still a torrent including the full romset for mame alive. Search for "gp2x wiz mame romset". Don't wonder about the name, it's working fine for the Caanoo.
I can't say much about the CPS2 emulator, but aren't the roms working in Final Burn Alpha without the cache files as well?

MAME :

I took your advice and found the full MAME romset...........however, it does the same thing as before (Error : Required files are missing). 

*edit*  Finally figured it out..........it definitely helped to have MAME4all 2.5 instead of 2.7

CPS2 (FBA) :

The roms load........then all I get is a blank black screen.  I did manage to get Street Fighter Alpha 3 to "run".......but the graphics are all screwed up & none of the controls work.  :/

The problem with MAME ROMs is that not all ROMs are valid for the version of the MAME emulator you are using. That's probably why your MAME emu is crashing - it's trying to load a wrongly formatted ROM.

What you need to do is determine the ROM set that your emu requires - this should be in the documentation and a .dat file may be too - you will need this .dat file to help you get whatever ROMs you have working with your emu. This requires the use of a tool like CLRMAME. Unfortunately it's not straight-forward, but it's not that difficult either.

Read through the instructions carefully on the CLRMAME website - http://easyemu.mameworld.info/clrmameguide/clrmame-guide.html

Nobody said the emulation scene was easy! However, once you've done it a few times it does become second nature.

It's a shame that you have to jump through these hoops for MAME, but the end result is often worth the hassle. I haven't tried NeoGeo or CPS.

Back