Rom Help (Mame & Cps2)

codenut

Still Fresh
So I've had my Caanoo for about a month and words can't describe how much I love this thing.......but recently I have started to add arcade games to my Caanoo and I can't seem to get anything to work on it.

MAME  :

I don't know how many games I have downloaded for different ROM sites (I'd say about 20 or so) and I've gotten a grand total of 1 to work (Pac-Man Plus).  I have read up on this for about a week now about why these games aren't working......and I've pretty much came to the conclusion that (1) I need an older version of MAME4ALL or (2) I need some sort of conversion tool to convert these MAME roms to the current version.

That's where I'm at right now with MAME

CPS2 :

I have gotten nothing to work on CPS2 so far.  I've pretty much made a cache file for each game and I still get errors (either a black screen or a CPS1 file is missing).  I've really only been playing around with the CPS2 emulator for about a week now......but I'd figured I'd get that question out of the way too while I'm at it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...........thank you!

Akabei

There is still a torrent including the full romset for mame alive. Search for "gp2x wiz mame romset". Don't wonder about the name, it's working fine for the Caanoo.
I can't say much about the CPS2 emulator, but aren't the roms working in Final Burn Alpha without the cache files as well?

codenut

Still Fresh
MAME :

I took your advice and found the full MAME romset...........however, it does the same thing as before (Error : Required files are missing). 

*edit*  Finally figured it out..........it definitely helped to have MAME4all 2.5 instead of 2.7

CPS2 (FBA) :

The roms load........then all I get is a blank black screen.  I did manage to get Street Fighter Alpha 3 to "run".......but the graphics are all screwed up & none of the controls work.  :/

iprice

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
The problem with MAME ROMs is that not all ROMs are valid for the version of the MAME emulator you are using. That's probably why your MAME emu is crashing - it's trying to load a wrongly formatted ROM.

What you need to do is determine the ROM set that your emu requires - this should be in the documentation and a .dat file may be too - you will need this .dat file to help you get whatever ROMs you have working with your emu. This requires the use of a tool like CLRMAME. Unfortunately it's not straight-forward, but it's not that difficult either.

Read through the instructions carefully on the CLRMAME website - http://easyemu.mameworld.info/clrmameguide/clrmame-guide.html

Nobody said the emulation scene was easy! However, once you've done it a few times it does become second nature.

It's a shame that you have to jump through these hoops for MAME, but the end result is often worth the hassle. I haven't tried NeoGeo or CPS.