Any possibility of this running PS2 emulators?

That's actually not true. There are plenty of N64 games that run fine even on the original Pandora with the current version of the emulator. For example, Bomberman 64: The Second Attack runs basically fullspeed, with only a couple of graphical glitches to worry about. Sure, Ocarina of Time never reached a good point, but there are plenty of games that run well on the N64 emulator on the Pandora.

-God Ginrai

Dunny's got a very high standard when it comes to emulators and playability, probably higher than most people.

Said the guy who won't put an emulator on the repo because it's not up to his standard, and it took years to convince to even release it at all.

Said the guy who won't put an emulator on the repo because it's not up to his standard, and it took years to convince to even release it at all.

You've got that wrong though. I didn't put Temper on the repo because that's work and I don't feel like it doing it, when there's zero reason why you or any of the other people complaining about it couldn't have done it yourself.

Not releasing it was again a matter of not wanting to do work. Being lazy isn't having standards. At any rate, I've literally linked the source here so none of you have anything on me now.

You've got that wrong though. I didn't put Temper on the repo because that's work and I don't feel like it doing it, when there's zero reason why you or any of the other people complaining about it couldn't have done it yourself.

Not releasing it was again a matter of not wanting to do work. Being lazy isn't having standards. At any rate, I've literally linked the source here so none of you have anything on me now.
So somebody can port it to Pyra if the source is available? Hoping for Drastic on the Pyra.:)

Edit: Has anyone noticed that the emoticon smiley faces are cross-eyed?

So somebody can port it to Pyra if the source is available? Hoping for Drastic on the Pyra.:)

Edit: Has anyone noticed that the emoticon smiley faces are cross-eyed?

You know we're talking about Temper, right? Yes someone can port it to Pyra if they want to. I'm not really sure why there's still interest, would have thought other emulators like Mednafen would have superseded it on hardware significantly more powerful than GP2X.

Hey pal, it's your work, you are the one that choose when you want to share it, I'm quite ashamed that someone dare to blame you because you didn't share it before, it's your time your effort and your heart you put inside it.

Sorry mummy, I appreciate you, but this time I think you wrong, we owe Exophase his hard work, because he accepted to shared it with us. He wasn't obliged to port things to pandora but he did it, and we can only be grateful to him.

You know we're talking about Temper, right? Yes someone can port it to Pyra if they want to. I'm not really sure why there's still interest, would have thought other emulators like Mednafen would have superseded it on hardware significantly more powerful than GP2X.
Yes, Temper. Mednafen i remember that emu- no idea if it was any good, been a long time.

I used mednafen on an atom netbook to play through Fire Emblem GBA 2 and Parodius on PC-Engine for Skeezix's ROT competition. It did the job. I don't know how the Pyra will compare against this - single core x86 1.6GHz versus the Pyra, but it shouldn't be too far off. It played VVVVVV better than my Pandora does, but hopefully the Pyra should be a step beyond both of them.

And there are an enormous number (far outweighing the few that do run well) that do not. Unfortunately, they tend to all be the popular ones... So yes, it is true. Your definition of "playable" might not be the same as mine, however - I'm not a fan of frameskip, missing textures/polygons and sound stuttering.

But Pyra will almost certainly run N64 quite well indeed.

There are a lot more than a "few" that run well. And plenty of them are popular titles. Honestly, the majority of the ones, that I am aware of, that have major problems are Rare titles, and that's because Rare often tested the limits of the hardware with their games.

I'm not saying all games run full-speed with no frameskip, but to demand that out of an emulator for it to be considered "playable" is just unreasonable.

-God Ginrai

Whenever I want a realistic console type of experience I use the actual console. I don't expect a perfect experience when using emulators since my experience with them was often mediocre. On N64, the titles I was most interested in playing were from Rare, and if I could only have one it would be Perfect Dark. I don't know how things are now, but when I gave up on trying it (it has been years) it was below my standards even for an emulator (this was on Linux), so I just stuck with only playing it on the console. It would be great to play those games whenever I want by just carrying my Pyra. I don't expect that to work, so I hope I am surprised.

There are some emulators that are "close enough" for me, however my expectations are much lower than on the actual console, so some of the things that bother others are "just part of using an emulator" to me. That isn't too say there shouldn't be attempts to improve that experience. Once it gets to a certain point I won't bother with it for a while, since there are still many other games I can play, and I can play those that don't work well (either the console/emulator or individual game) when I get home.

Last edited:
There are a lot more than a "few" that run well. And plenty of them are popular titles. Honestly, the majority of the ones, that I am aware of, that have major problems are Rare titles, and that's because Rare often tested the limits of the hardware with their games.

Mario Kart. Just Sayin' like.

I'm not saying all games run full-speed with no frameskip, but to demand that out of an emulator for it to be considered "playable" is just unreasonable.

Uh... why is it unreasonable? You're not recreating the original experience if you drop frames or the sound stutters. Or textures are lost. Or shading goes awry. All of which happens regularly on the N64 emulation on Pandora.

The latest Mupen build plays F-Zero with no shading issues whatsoever. I'm not sure if it's got frameskip configured, but that game felt smooth enough and there were no sound stutters. Regarding Rare games, I've tested Banjo Kazooe (or however you spell it) and that seemed to run well. The framerate could have been faster for my preference, but it was bad enough on the original hardware, and I suspect it was representative. Donkey Kong 64 still has annoying camera issues, but it's made a lot of progress since the first build I tested it on, where it was slow, collision detection was all screwy, and it wasn't possible to trigger certain game events. I've not tested Perfect Dark yet - but I couldn't enjoy that on my actual N64 because of the choppy framerate.

Of course, it's less than ideal, with you needing to select the right plugins to use to make it work the best, but hopefully the Pyra will let us drop some of the less accurate but quicker plugins, and focus on only the ones that work the best.

Mario Kart. Just Sayin' like.

What about it? I never said all games are free from problems.

Uh... why is it unreasonable? You're not recreating the original experience if you drop frames or the sound stutters. Or textures are lost. Or shading goes awry. All of which happens regularly on the N64 emulation on Pandora.

It's unreasonable because you are using "playable" wrong. "Playable" does not mean perfect. It means that you can play it. That includes speeds that are slower than fullspeed, and without sound. You are confusing something you "can't play" with something you "refuse to play". They are not the same thing.

-God Ginrai

It's unreasonable because you are using "playable" wrong. "Playable" does not mean perfect. It means that you can play it. That includes speeds that are slower than fullspeed, and without sound. You are confusing something you "can't play" with something you "refuse to play". They are not the same thing.

Well to be fair, if you're really committed you could perhaps learn how to play a game at 10% speed or even lower. Or if not you, someone could. There isn't much of a clear lower limit on how slow something can be before no one can play it.

But everyone also has some quality threshold where if you pass it the game will just feel so degraded from the experience you expect or from its intended experience that it just isn't worth playing. Being just a little bit slower can totally change the gameplay dynamics and lacking sound can completely take you out of the game (never mind games that require sound to be played like the rhythm genre)

Dunny's standards are extreme but I can see where he's coming from. I can tolerate some frameskip, but I generally won't bother if the game has even a little constant slowdown or audio breaks. And no audio is a complete deal breaker. So I guess I'm only somewhat less extreme than he is compared to someone who will play a game at 70% speed with massive frameskip, no audio, and major graphical glitches.

My own emulation standards are probably pretty average, but lack of sound is a killer for me, and even merely sound distortion as can be seen if there's minor slowdowns, is very annoying to deal with -- a major part of my gaming experience is music. That said, if a game runs at 70% but sound is fine, I can usually cope with it (allthough that's usually not how emulators work, but some Pandora non-emulator releases do)

Stuttering sound and/or less than 95% speed usually makes a game completely uninteresting to me and that's pretty common from what I gathered.

One problem with the PS2 emulation (at least on PCSX2) is, that you normally can't do frameskipping.

Normal frameskip will only help if the graphics card is the culprit (which it usually isn't) and with VU skipping...
If you're lucky, you will only get a few graphical glitches (but often these are annoying enough to make the game unplayable, like flickering screens, etc), often it simply makes the game go haywire.

At least none of the games I tried was playable with VU skip.

Well to be fair, if you're really committed you could perhaps learn how to play a game at 10% speed or even lower. Or if not you, someone could. There isn't much of a clear lower limit on how slow something can be before no one can play it.

But everyone also has some quality threshold where if you pass it the game will just feel so degraded from the experience you expect or from its intended experience that it just isn't worth playing. Being just a little bit slower can totally change the gameplay dynamics and lacking sound can completely take you out of the game (never mind games that require sound to be played like the rhythm genre)

Dunny's standards are extreme but I can see where he's coming from. I can tolerate some frameskip, but I generally won't bother if the game has even a little constant slowdown or audio breaks. And no audio is a complete deal breaker. So I guess I'm only somewhat less extreme than he is compared to someone who will play a game at 70% speed with massive frameskip, no audio, and major graphical glitches.

I realize you are playing Devil's Advocate here, but while it is true that the lower limit might be foggy, it's not true that nothing less than full-speed is playable. Enjoyable would be a solid argument, since it is a measure that is wholly reliant on opinion, but playable is not.

-God Ginrai

Stuttering sound and/or less than 95% speed usually makes a game completely uninteresting to me and that's pretty common from what I gathered.

For me its no Problem.
The Pandora is a "portable" Device and i do not need Sound when i am underway with her ;)
The other Side is...i watch often TV while playing Games and i want the sound from the TV more then :happy:

When you activate Sound underway then maybe other People are bothered then.
I hate that too when the Childs in the Train/Bus activate their Mobile Phone Music without Earplugs.

When i am @ Home is my Girlfriend often in the same Room and watch TV.

Sound is not realy Important for me..because i learned to play without it :p

I would love to see an Slideshow real PS2 Emulator on the Pandora because its not important how fast it run...its important that it run for me :)

And the most PS2 RPGs what i play are in 2D like Atelier Iris..i see a little little hope for it on the Pandora.

@ptitSeb
Please can you try make a PND for us with the OpenSource Ps2 Play! Emulator from
http://purei.org/downloads.php

The Version there is much better than last Time i asked :)

Back