video playback quality

Video playback is partly dependent on the GPU. A 1080p video needs to be scaled down to 720p you could use OpenGL to at least do that (every normal player supports that).

Using SDL (which is not yet accelerated on the Pyra as notaz did with the Pandora) or X11, it would need to scale down additionally to decoding the video.

That's a lot of CPU power needed.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
So, in short, the Pyra could be a good game player, but in seeable future it couldn't be a good movie player.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It was already pointed out that playing 1080p video was no problem. Yeah, it loads up the CPU so you can't do much else, but it can still do it.

if we reach the right crowd, maybe we 'll be lucky on the codec side. who knows, someone might get interested in that particular challenge. as it is right now, I am glad that 1080p videos are already perfectly watchable, but I never intended my pyra to be a video player. i use my pandora as a music player a lot, and love to stream music to it on my home network. I mostly watch videos at home so use my laptop or tv mediacenter then.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
So, in short, the Pyra could be a good game player, but in seeable future it couldn't be a good movie player.

It will not be as good as dedicated movie players, but with proper improved scaling, etc., it should work fine for most videos.

Back