GP2X Any Developers Interested In A Game Project?

bigtrouble77

Still Fresh
I posted this in the GP32 dev forum by accident. Since none of the mods moved it I have to cross post here to make sure I hit the right crowd.
-------------------------
Being that the Gp2x game library is kinda small, I was wondering if there were any developers that might want to start a game project with me?

I worked in the industry a couple years back (did freelance work on civ3). I've been developing xslt web applications most recently, oh the joy. I haven't done many 3d projects as of late so I'm itching to find something new.

I work mainly in 3dsmax and photoshop. I can also do midi.

Things I'm mostly interested in are Graphic Adventures (possibly via scumm?), rpg's and any kind of strategy game. I'd prefer to do something sprite based.

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw this out there being that there seems to be a ton of talented developers around here.

As I stated in the other thread, I am very interested in helping out, but I'm too busy to do anything significant this month (and possibly longer). However, after that I could help program (I wouldn't like to be the main programmer, i'm relatively new to it) and design the gameplay and story.

The good news is that the more people involved, the more ambitious we can be (and more likely that we'll finish). The project would really be at the mercy of the skills of the programmers involved.

If enough people commit to the point of us being able to start we can start throwing around potential ideas. After we get a nice list we can create a poll and have everyone (meaning the entire community) vote on which one to pursue.

Just an idea.

-BT

I am all for it. I have 3 project documents drawn up if you would like to look at them. My main concern (and the reason I haven't progressed on these projects myself) is that I am no artist and seeing as how my games are all 2D sprite-based games I cannot start... except for basic thing.

bigtrouble77: I would love to work with a team on a project PM me and I will send you my private e-mail address where you can contact me almost instantainiously! :D Hooray for the internet.

timbobsteve, I pm'd you.

I really wanted to go open source with something like this. I'm just not interested in having 2 day jobs.

I'm much more interested in sharing what we develop to benefit the whole GP2X community.

Exactly what I was thinking. I am a big fan of opensource/free projects (when they are don right that is ;))

I PM'd back, expect the game docs soon.

EDIT: I sent you an e-mail to the address you gave me ;)

The last project I worked on was about 2 years ago. I was going to do a pirate themed animation, but unfortunately my work completely consumed my free time. Any free time I had to do on graphics had to go to programming instead. So I only got about a month into it.

Here is one very unfinished render of the dock scene and one goofy comp to put my incomplete ship model in the ocean:
Ship Comp
Dock Night

Here's my old graphics site from college:
http://www.lossofcontrol.com/

Please be kind, most of the work on the site is from 1998 and earlier. The last update was in 2001. My artistic skills have improved considerably, but they've been used mostly for corporate design work, sadly.

I like it. Its better than I could ever do. I passed my multimedia animation class... but only barely :p I think coding is my forté.

I can offer a hand if you are in need of sound and musical production. This is my specialty :) .

I'll post some of my ideas in a week or so. I wanna have some time to work them out properly. timbobsteve sent me some that look interesting too but I'm not sure if he wants to make them public yet.

During that time hopefully an experienced lead programmer that can manage a team will surface.

Perhaps right now we should just throw out ideas and I'll do mockups over the next few weeks. That'll keep me busy and at least show some potential for the project.

I don't have a lot of time, but I'm not bad with the old coding lark. I'd love to get involved in a project or two, but I can't guarantee I'll have much time to spare.

If you do start up a team project I'd be very interested. Make sure you keep a public ToDo list so I can drop in and fix bugs as I find time enough to do so.

I am heading through a rather busy little time atm, but I can almost guarentee (as much as one can) that I could put in about 2-3 hrs / night on any project that gets started.

The design doco I sent to bigtrouble77 is a couple of ideas I have been working on for a few months. No actual code has been written, but I have been playing with these ideas and stories for a few weeks now.

The main thing that kept me from diving right in and completing these projects was the lack of a graphic artist. I have no artistic ability and these are primarily 2d tile based games that I was working on, so I couldn't make any major progress on the art myself.

I have worked on a couple of mod teams for different PC games over the years and I find that working in a team is the ideal environment because you can all push each other and more work gets done.

Anyways, this is bigtrouble77's thread and I would be more than happy to surrender any of my abilities to a project that gets started from it.

I've got a couple of other projects on the go at the minute, but could certainly spare a few coding hours a week towards a community project :)

OK, so now that I've had a few days to think about things and experiment with a few ideas i've come to a conclusion on how I think I may want to approach this project.

I ultimately decided that I need to go with my gut feeling on which idea to tackle and it turned out to be my first idea. The problem was that when I got to thinking of the possibilities of each idea the scope just became overwhelming.

So, my plan is to develop an adventure rpg. I really don't know how else to describe the genre but it will be an overhead perspective where you will have an inventory where you interact with objects much the same way as graphic adventures(use tools and various objects in unusual ways). In addition you will also be fighting bad guys (and things) similar to games like gauntlet or dungeon explorer (tg16), but that will only be a minor portion of the game.

The game will take place in a modern locale, but I don't want to give it away before I have some graphics done yet- it will be very colorful and thematic. Now I'm a HUGE fan of open-ended games so my goal is to create a game that can be completed in multiple ways with multiple endings. In fact, I would like to randomize certain elements so that playing the game will never be the same twice.

Now here are some of the things that I'd like to address first:
+++++++++++++
- create a virtual world with a character- just a square block on a solid colored background. Allow the character to be moved with the control pad up, down, left and right. When the character reaches the border, the screen will change to a new back ground (just a graphic with a different color). Character will move two pixels at a time at a rate of x.

- insert other graphical sprite objects with simple collision detectors. When the character touches the collision object is prevents the character from moving in that direction.

- character has health characteristic

- collisions with sprite objects either decrease the character's health, increas the health or do not affect the health.
+++++++++++++

So that's a basic idea of where I'd like to start. Building the entire map will probably be one of the most time consuming parts so I want to elements in place to do this as early as possible.

I'll reveal the story and design in much greater detail when I finish more of the details. :) My goal is to make this an ideal game for portables, something you can easily pick up and play for 5-10 minutes and easy to continue at a later time. What I don't want to do is create extremely difficult programming challenges.

Finally, if anyone can advise me on how to organize and manage a project like this I'd greatly appreciate it. My feeling right now is that I should be finalizing the game design as my primary goal. While I do that I'm hoping some programmers can start the beginnings of the graphic engine.

So that's it. I know some of you offered some help. When I get some commitments (I use that term loosely at this point) we can discuss a plan of action. In addition I'll try and get access to a cvs server or set one up myself.

I'd love to hear some comments and suggestions. Initially, if no one can commit time to this I'll just keep working on my graphics and fine tune the game design. Hopefully as I progress it'll generate more interest.

In fact, I would like to randomize certain elements so that playing the game will never be the same twice.
How about random map generation? It takes a load of time off map-editing and is easier to implement than an editor+loader with twice the fun for the player (w000!!!! Infinite worlds!!!11!one).

Back