Another Render (yeah... I Know...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great! My only question is that are the ports and whatnot along the front of the device recessed to the point at which the volume dial doesn't jut out from the front, or just slightly recessed?

Shiny said:
Wow, that looks nice :)

My comments in list form:
The weird indentation thing on the top half bothers me. It's problably like that to keep the halves from touching when closed, but it sure would look better if the entire top half was depressed instead.
I think you are refering to the odd reflections near the hinges? I also notice some uneven polygons near the speakers. That seems to be a weird artifact from the conversion from CAD to 3DS. It should not be like that in the real version.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is looking great, and coupled with the nice status updates on PSX emulation progress, I'm super excited about this. Can't wait for pre-orders to begin for the 3000 batch!

The D-pad could use some work, though.

Nice to hear the screws won't be visible, those were sort of annoying.

I can only see a headphone port on the front, not a PSX-style headphone/TV-out combo, does that mean TV-out isn't implemented on the MK0:s or will the TV-out be a separate port elsewhere on the device (might be best to keep it as one combo port, to make it easier to create a TV-out adapter that will deliver sound as well as video (to be split up at the other end of the adapter I guess, since S-video doesn't take sound), no need for two cables from different parts of the device for that.

Oh, and the keyboard is looking totally awesome.

Is the power switch going to be similar to the GP2X (two positions) or the DS (which always springs back to it's starting position)?

looks beautiful! i cant wait to get my hands on one!
could i get a copy of that model file? ive been wanting to play around with making a 'commercial' video for a while.

Vorporeal said:
Looks great! My only question is that are the ports and whatnot along the front of the device recessed to the point at which the volume dial doesn't jut out from the front, or just slightly recessed?
They are recessed.

Here is a small render of a plain CAD model. It is not as finished or as realistic as ED's render (No letters on keys, LEDs etc) but it shows some different things as it is a lighter color.

I also hid the screws ;)

pandoraCAD3.png

DaveC said:
We do have to go with something soon though. If the thing keeps changing it will be delayed to 2010 ;)
Heheh... :) I agree DaveC. We had to start with something and actually we did already. Now wait for the good news very soon.

DaveC said:
Here is a small render of a plain CAD model. It is not as finished or as realistic as ED's render (No letters on keys, LEDs etc) but it shows some different things as it is a lighter color.

I also hid the screws ;)

pandoraCAD3.png
Hmmm.. those sharp edges look like they'd be uncomfortable to hold over an extended period. It seems most game controllers/handhelds are curvy and/or rounded. Even the edges on the DS Lite are a bit sharp for me, especially while grappling the unit to play pinball. This render doesn't look very ergonomic, but I guess we'll have to try the real thing.

Maybe someone will make a soft Nerf armor for this beastie *looks at Chad*

The render looks great, especially the new keyboard design! It now looks like it will feel like the Xbox 360 Messenger Pad which is a great mini keyboard. The old keyboard design was one of the things let the design down but this one should be spot on.

Okay, changed the rendering on the first post:

* Made everything brighter
* Covered the screws :)

I think it looks great. I'm not too worried about the d-pad or "sharp edges", since I find Nintendo handhelds comfortable to hold and this can't be any worse than that. Heck, I even like the original DS D-pad, despite it being a little too clicky.

The AYXB buttons seem like they might be pushed a bit too far into the case in ED's render, but they look fine in DaveC's render. But it's hard to tell without having it in my hands.

So overall, I see no problems. Looking good. B)

that looks great - desperate to get my sweaty mitts on a real one...!

- Is there any chance of getting hold of the stl or 3ds file so I can try a render?

thanks

Rick

EvilDragon said:
Okay, changed the rendering on the first post:

* Made everything brighter
* Covered the screws :)
Nice! Looks rather excellent.

Now all you need do is update the images on openpandora.org :)

Oh, and the side and rear renders ;)

I think the Dpad in the render looks like it will work well, and if it can work like a Genesis pad, all the better. I loved that Dpad.

But if I was to make a suggestion of a different Dpad, I'd suggest a Dpad like the Sega Genesis Nomad had. I'm not sure if a Dpad like that would even allow the system to close or not, but it's a suggestion, if it's possible. The Nomad pad is the most comfortable Dpad I have ever used.

-God Ginrai

Esn said:
I'm not too worried about the d-pad or "sharp edges", since I find Nintendo handhelds comfortable to hold and this can't be any worse than that.
I don't know if I have softie hands, but playing games that require heavy use of shoulder buttons (like pinball) causes the edges of the NDSL to dig in to my palms, and they get quite sore.

If the :pandora1: is larger than the DS, I would be concerned about the ergonomics of grappling predominantly unrounded edges over an extended period of time. I'm not pretending to be an expert, but looking at most handheld devices they seem to be quite rounded in the grip areas.

Absof**kinlutely beautiful! Lovely! Brilliant!

When can we do preorders?!? NOW!!! ME WANT!!! :)

Very Impressed overall, but if possible, a Sega Saturn/Megadrive 6 button style pad with more natural diagonals would really be the icing on the cake!

Looking better than ever! It goes to show how far every little refinement can take a design :)

And it's mighty cool that you went with a wheel instead of a slider for volume adjustment, good choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back