Another Render (yeah... I Know...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I KNOW you want to see the real thing.
Well, fact is, it's not soo long anymore until you'll see one. However, I've got another rendering for you...
"Another one? Awwww..." some might say.

But wait - THAT one is different.
Why? Well, I built it from the actual MK0 mould model. Therefore, it's physically quite like the real one!

So now you can finally see the DPad, the keyboard, etc.

Here are the important things about this rendering:

* Physically accurate to the MK0 mould (buttons might stick out a bit more, haven't got exact measurements for them yet).
* Material, LEDs, any prints on it (keyboard prints, etc.) are NOT final yet, they're just in this rendering to make it a bit more pretty.

Ready? Here's the pic. As usual, click on it for a bigger view :)

pand09050_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Covered the screws and made the overall pic brighter :)
EDIT2: Fixed some more other stuff like material, lower part, buttons.

Wow! It looks a lot better than previous renderings!

And I'm sure the real thing will look even better, with the actual keyboard labels.

Great work, EvilDragon!! Thanks a lot!

That looks really good.

I had a question though. Is there enough recess in the screen that the joysticks don't come into contact or scratch it when the console is closed? I have been wondering about that.

do we have the other angles etc.?

oh and when you do finalise the fonts etc. please make them nicer than those ones!

Is there enough recess in the screen that the joysticks don't come into contact or scratch it when the console is closed? I have been wondering about that.

I'm almost sure about it. You can even notice it in the render, and craigix and co. wouldn't make such a childlike mistake.

Apart from that, I vote for the render to be added to the OpenPandora.org site.

Thanks ED!! A beautiful render, with just enough newness about it to keep excitement at fever pitch. Coupled with zodttd & mweston's comments in the Playstation Emulation thread, I'm about to burst.

Looks superb! The D-pad and keyboard are looking much better now. Not sure I like the silver screws in the lid, a bit distracting. I hope they are covered or use black screws (ah heck, I can cover them up myself I guess).

What a sexy beast this is becoming ;)

The d-pad looks super iffy. Street fighter obsessed fan here.

I would've liked to see one that was a complete 16 way disk like on the original xbox. What you have now *looks* to be much worse than the abyssmal original PSP pad, which was nearly impossible to use. This "valley and peaks" design looks like it will be impossible to torque around for fireballs and Shoryuken reversals. This could be a deal breaker for me, as I don't want to be burned like I was with the PSP.

Here's hoping its just a concept D-Pad, and that at the very least the final design will be level and stick out from the face A LOT.

The keyboard looks awesome, but I always preferred the concave face buttons as they always seemed easier to jam on with less thumb fatigue. (See the original Xbox controller for a display of the painful nature of certain convex buttons. The pandora's look like they'll be ok so long as they stick out a lot and aren't any more convex than what you can see in the picture here.)

As always, the above is IMO.

It looks really nice, especially the buttons and the 4-way pad. The only thing that i don't like are the screws on both sides of the screen. It isn't a big deal, but it makes the whole look less polished.

Very pretty indeed - the steampunk versions of Pandora aside, this is definitely the prettiest render so far. Which is especially good if it is the closest to reality we've yet seen!

I agree with the comment about the screws being jarring though... any chance of using black-painted ones to at least blend in with the rest of the case? It's not that they look bad, as such, but they do definitely stand out.

About the screws: Neither the color nor the screws are real.
They might even be covered with rubber - I just had the data for the mould, and those were just the plastic pieces. So don't worry about them :)

Oh, will there still be a hole in the middle of the D-pad to screw in a joystick? Not essential, but a funky feature.

I imagine the screws will be covered by little snap-in plastic caps. [edit] As suggested this very minute by ED.

Re: D-pad concerns, I'd lean towards having a little faith. ;) This isn't GPH.

GunPei2X said:
Oh, will there still be a hole in the middle of the D-pad to screw in a joystick? Not essential, but a funky feature.
How about the stylus having screw threads on one end, and a hole for it in the D-pad?

Last edited by a moderator:
atomicthumbs said:
How about the stylus having screw threads on one end, and a hole for it in the D-pad?
For some reason that made me think of this:

4114556233488645jpg0cd0.jpg
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I like! That is a really nice looking rendering!

To comment on the design, I have to say that the keyboard seems to be really high quality. Just the type of keys I wanted.

I also have to say that the new speaker holes is a great improvement. They fit the overall design perfectly.

Most importantly the dpad looks promising. I assume DaveC has done some testing on that part? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back