Another Render (yeah... I Know...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to this render, I've finally been able to give Pandora a proper introduction on another forum I post on (big dance music site with a geek section, a lot of PSP/DS owners). The response: a whooole lot of want. :)

I like it, but then I don't remember seeing a render I didn't like. And I don't mind the D-pad either, But then, I was ok with the GP2X stick too, except for the fact that the cap always broke off, so assuming the D-pad (and other stuff) can handle getting used, I like it. And even though the screws were the wrong color or whatever, I think it's cool that you added them.. sort of a level of detail that we weren't even looking for. It's nice.

Gruso said:
Thanks to this render, I've finally been able to give Pandora a proper introduction on another forum I post on (big dance music site with a geek section, a lot of PSP/DS owners). The response: a whooole lot of want. :)
What's the link?
Out of curiosity (and slight disbelief)

Last edited by a moderator:
PlopperZ said:
Gruso said:
What's the link?
Out of curiosity (and slight disbelief) http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=224419

A good response considering the difficulty I had floating the GP2X there a few months back. I still get the odd comment like "yeah but you bought a GP2X." :lol:

Bear in mind that any info I've posted is tailored for the crowd. Oh, and ignore silvaside, he's mister sarcasm.

Eolair said:
Wow I like! That is a really nice looking rendering!

To comment on the design, I have to say that the keyboard seems to be really high quality. Just the type of keys I wanted.

I also have to say that the new speaker holes is a great improvement. They fit the overall design perfectly.

Most importantly the dpad looks promising. I assume DaveC has done some testing on that part? ;)
Well Thanks, the updated designs (keyboard, pad, speakers, etc) are actually my ideas with the mold.

I don't know why someone thought the original pad was much better though. The edges looked kind of sharp and uncomfortable to me.

Yes the screws will be covered with some sort of rubber to make them "dissappear".

Wow, that looks nice :)

My comments in list form:
  • The keyboard looks much more usable :)
  • I'm not too keen on the huge holes for the speakers. It seems like it would make the plastic very fragile in the center.
  • The weird indentation thing on the top half bothers me. It's problably like that to keep the halves from touching when closed, but it sure would look better if the entire top half was depressed instead.
  • The circle going through the action buttons seems like it would get filled with all sorts of nasties by sweaty gamer palms ;P
  • The screws are... bleh. You've problably heard that enough by now.
  • There's a lip around the screen now. Very nice for touch screen usage :)
  • D-pad looks fine, but I'm not much of a connoisseur of these things.

I think the new render looks excellent. Thanks ED. Mind if I update the image on Wikipedia?

For those worried about the D-Pad, don't be. The design is a good compromise between a straight-up cross and a flat pad. I should remind you that the entire gaming world does not revolve around throwing hadoukens, and that for many games - older arcade games in particular - it is vital to be able to hit the four cardinal directions and only the four cardinal directions.

I personally have faith in DaveC.

And if the dpad is bad, DaveC has to personally visit every Pandora owner and fix it. And also mow our lawns.

So don't screw it up Dave! :p

There looks t be a lot of sharp 90degree edges around the case, both keyboard section and screen? Something weird with lighting is going on at the edges nearest the pad and 4 action buttons, suggesting that area inset/concave? It looks very sharp where it returns to the edge.

I imagine some radius will be added to these leading edges at some point?

The screen surround (with screws) looks a bit ill-fitted with a wide part line around its perimeter, I'd increase the tolerance between case and surround. I think the screen surround would look less flat with some subtle texture/mould sparking, this would also help cover any sinkage caused by internal walls/structures.

All in all = nice.

Chip said:
I think the new render looks excellent. Thanks ED. Mind if I update the image on Wikipedia?

For those worried about the D-Pad, don't be. The design is a good compromise between a straight-up cross and a flat pad. I should remind you that the entire gaming world does not revolve around throwing hadoukens, and that for many games - older arcade games in particular - it is vital to be able to hit the four cardinal directions and only the four cardinal directions.
The great thing here is that the dpad is a nice easy to remove and replace part. The whole case doesn't have to change to modify stuff like this. We can get a dozen designs printed for cheap and try each one before we decide on what is right (and community approved!). Maybe we need a "Design your own dpad" contest just for fun? People can dig up their old pictures, make new ones and invite others to rip the sh17 out of their designs! :) What do you think?

coldfis said:
There looks t be a lot of sharp 90degree edges around the case, both keyboard section and screen? Something weird with lighting is going on at the edges nearest the pad and 4 action buttons, suggesting that area inset/concave? It looks very sharp where it returns to the edge.

I imagine some radius will be added to these leading edges at some point?

The screen surround (with screws) looks a bit ill-fitted with a wide part line around its perimeter, I'd increase the tolerance between case and surround. I think the screen surround would look less flat with some subtle texture/mould sparking, this would also help cover any sinkage caused by internal walls/structures.

All in all = nice.
That is not a part line around the screen it is shadow as it is recessed. It has to be so the buttons don't touch the inside of the lid.

You can't go wild with huge radii around the edges where the halves meet. If you did there would be a big gap all around and the lid wouldn't close properly. Look at a DS lite.

Texture could be in the final version. Probable some kind of matte or bead blast type thing. I doubt it will be shiny like the PSP finger print magnet finish.

MWeston said:
Maybe we need a "Design your own dpad" contest just for fun? People can dig up their old pictures, make new ones and invite others to rip the sh17 out of their designs! :) What do you think?
Sounds great. If you don't mind trying out different designs then I'm sure there are plenty of ideas floating around.

We do have to go with something soon though. If the thing keeps changing it will be delayed to 2010 ;)

Not huge radii, the render looks as if there's -no- radius at all, just surface-surface?

In any case, the mould will define the edge quality, it's not going to trivial to tool a perfect sharp edge so you will get some radius forced by the technology.

I'd be interested in a transparent render showing internal structures.

coldfis said:
Not huge radii, the render looks as if there's -no- radius at all, just surface-surface?

In any case, the mould will define the edge quality, it's not going to trivial to tool a perfect sharp edge so you will get some radius forced by the technology.

I'd be interested in a transparent render showing internal structures.
There will be a radius there. It just can not be bigger than the thickness of the lid wall. If you look at a DS lite it is razor sharp. It looks nicer closed that way (no gap) but not as good when open. The Pandora will have a small radius around the edge though as far as I know.

For the D-Pad, I was commenting that it seems like it'll be like the D-Pad on the old Nintendo DS, which I personally didn't like that much and thought it was much to thin and lacked in the diagonal department. I'm hoping diagonals will be perfect on this D-Pad, so doing quarter-circles in fighting games will be smooth and a breeze.

This new render makes it look like the Genesis dpad more than anything to me. I think MWeston mentioned that was their new inspiration a few weeks ago.

If it is like the original DS pad I would share my concern with JerryG--it was too elongated and hard to hit diagonals.

I'm more of a fan of the GBAsp than DSlite in a design sense. The simple lines of the GBAsp, no ugly angles or edges. Like a Braun razor; simple form following function.

/product designer mode off.

It won't be like the DS pad. The original DS (phat) pad was terrible. It should be similar in feel to a SNES pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back