Mechanical Stress Tests

relliker

Hiya all,

Has mechanical stress testing (don't laugh) been considered/done for the OP? I have almost blind faith at this point that the electronics will last quite a bit but for example:

How many lid twists would the LCD ribbon cable withstand (especially now that it is being wrapped in shielding, making it just that little bit stiffer).
How many lid opens/closes would the LID itself take before the hinges wear out and it becomes "loose" (for want of a better word) when being opened/closed?
How many key presses before the KEYMAT starts failing (I'm right now cursing my 4 month old e-ink book reader coz the "1" button has already crapped out).
What about the sliding power/hold switch? (I'm always waiting for my CLIE PDA's switch to give up the ghost but it hasn't and I've had it, like, forever).
Jack sockets? SD slots? USB ports? etc. and the Digital and Analogue nubs (I had forgotten these because I'm buying it more for its micro-UMPC aspect)?

Not that this puts me off the Pandora in any way but I'd like to know whether I should start saving for another one from the second, third or n'th batch or whether I can safely assume that I will find spares for it for its foreseeable future. Like somebody already said, the team deserves a rest after this and a re-designed Pan is not likely for a number of years so I'm presuming my "1st Batch Pandy" will not RIP before a (considerable) number of years. Right?

Cheers (and apologies if this is a re-thread but a quick search for "mechanical" in the threads did not turn up quite what I mean in my post)

I remember this being discussed at some point, but can't remember any decisions. You should be able to find the discussion with the search.

The clear cases (IIRC) were for both stress testing and making it easier to see how well everything fit.

They're not going to do rapid durability testing, as that's very expensive and requires a large number of prototype devices. It's simply not feasible for a small company.

Back