Android gingerbread in a pnd?

I'm late to the Android party (and this thread) so please forgive me if I'm captain obvious..

Is it worth my while buying any Android apps/games/emulators to use on the Pandora (i don't own a phone) bearing in mind I have a first gen Pandora that I can't get beyond 900Mhz, I'd love to be able to play World Of Goo, Peggle etc.. do any of the Bejewelled's work..?

Thanks.

Is it worth my while buying any Android apps/games/emulators to use on the Pandora

I'd happily buy any of the games linked to in the OP of this thread but do the sensible thing and try the free versions first.

As for emulators, my understanding is that except for a few rare cases the existing emulators available for Pandora are just as good or better than the android equivalents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it worth my while buying any Android apps/games/emulators to use on the Pandora

I'd happily buy any of the games linked to in the OP of this thread but do the sensible thing and try the free versions first.

As for emulators, my understanding is that except for a few rare cases the existing emulators available for Pandora are just as good or better than the android equivalents.

OK thanks, are the games I mentioned & that Evil Dragon demoed off limits to those of us with first batch Pandora's..?

Thanks to others I learnt you can set the clock speed higher if you change the opp (or is it oop) to 5. You can then move the slider higher. I'm running mine at 1ghz and so far it's not died, crashed or burst into flames so I'm hopeful I still though, can't work out how to access app data to drop in the downloaded files so I can access the play store as I have lots of games I can install and test. I'm trying as I type to download the data for asphault 6 but it's not proving too promising as it's a massive game. Still very cool to see and I too have world of goo on android so will enjoy giving that a play (I wouldn't mind but I'm donating my android phone so will lose access to it). :)

I still though, can't work out how to access app data to drop in the downloaded files
Pop the SD card into your PC. The directory is "/pandora/appdata/gingerbread" or something like that. If you've already run Android once it will have automatically been created.

can someone try a few games out please and report back how they play:

Sprinkle

Wheres my water

Draw Some

Pinball Arcade

Has anyone got Skype to work?

:) I'll see what I can try in the next few days. I think my pandora though is on the way out as wifi seems to have all but given up and only getting 1 bar now even with the device next to the router.... I will plod on.. First on my list is "where's my water" and then sonic CD. Gameloft do some pretty cool games and I want to try 2 fast 2 furious and asphault 5 or 6. Lets golf 3 and I also enjoyed tin tin. :)

Could you make calls with Skype.. while it ran the program fine for me, I could never actually make a call go through.

I tried a quick echo test but it did not connect. I didn't have time to test more since then but I'm hopeful that at least voice might work with some tweaks.

Anyone else having wifi issues in android? It says signal excellent but it reduces to 1 bar when connected and downloads are painfully slow. I have google play but so far no luck getting anything installed. Trying angry birds now.

The whole android.pnd subject needs an entire sub-forum of it's own instead of a single thread.

Is it possible to map the nubs as:

Left: X,Y tilt input

Right: Z, accelerometer input

Pawprints: wifi has been my only problem so far. I also show only one bar of signal strength. My main problem is obtaining an IP adress and then staying connected. I have none of those problems in Linux and I've tried two wireless networks.

I am going to wait and hope for any wifi issues to be fixed in updates. I hope someone smart takes over where Notaz left off.

So, after some testing I can report the following about android games.

Canabalt HD works perfectly + you can control it via the keyboard

Drop 7 doesn't scale up to the full screen resolution

EDGE works flawlessly, you have to tilt your pandora 90° but you can control it with the dpad, which is a huge advantage to touch controls

I'll update this post as I try more games but currently the 2 gb limit kills some of my possibilities (+ the extremely shaky wireless on my pandora)

I'll update this post as I try more games but currently the 2 gb limit kills some of my possibilities (+ the extremely shaky wireless on my pandora)

sure the initial system image currently has a 2gig limit, but most apps can be installed on an SD card in the second slot.. I have a 16gig SD card just for Android apps.

I have good wifi, but only one bar is shown, I think the indicator is just wrong :)

Hmm I wonder what USB devices are supported by android, maybe you can plug in a web cam ?

Not sure about Pandora Android but a lot for normal Android (ICS atleast) the normal stuff like mouse/keyboard but also stuff like USB GPS/Bluetooth/Gamepads and Digi TV although it does require the correct drivers so not supported out of the box in vanilla Android.

Anyone having connection issues (esp. With the Google Play Store):

Set your date in Angstroem!

It seems google checks for its certificates (the current one expired end of May).

When I had my date set to mid May, I could not connect to the google play store and had issues with Wifi as well.

Setting my date correctly fixed those issues.

No, the connection simply cuts off. LED goes off. Symbol in Android dissapears. LED goes on and Android reconnects.

This didn't happen on Angström, only under Android and only since r4 (cyanogenmod).

Before, the connection was stable and even faster.

Back