Android gingerbread in a pnd?

TrashyMG if you saw evildragons video there is an app on there he uses to play games which need touch controlls via gamepad. Check it out.

Maybe it's time for an "Other OS" section on these boards.

Apart the practical thing, could be also great to show that our little beast supports a wide range of systems.

Thank you Notaz!!

I wasn't able to get the Google Play store installed quite yet, both of my SD cards became corrupt or something. I suddenly couldn't read the contents of the two SD cards from my Pandora but my Windows 7 computer still can. I am copying the important data off (PNDs) so I can format them and start over.

I can't blame the Android PND for the cause because I was also forced to upgrade the Pandora OS to the new 1.5 Super Zaxxon Beta 5A before I could use Android. Who knows. Anyway, I just hope after formatting the cards I don't have to worry about this happening too often.

I can't wait to play Netflix back on the Pandora. It's truly the little computer that could! All thanks to you Notaz and the other developers who have worked so hard over the years.

Thank you all!!

I was finally able to download r5 on my phone and copy it to my pandora ... holy cow this is what I'm talking about... clocked her up to 800mhz and everything runs great from what I've tried.

You might want to change the .kl file to mimic the Xperia play for key map compatibility

Right most action button : back

Bottom most action button : dpad_center

Left most action button : button_x

Topmost action button : button_y

Select : button_select

Start : button_start

L & r are correct : button_r1 & l1

I know you don't want to make a nand flash able version of this but it would be really appreciated if you did. I know you said its only around 10mb but for us 250mb users every little bit might save from the force closes on heavier apps.

I do want to check out the git for this as you seemed to have nailed everything that was missing in the droidora port.

The battery state like mentioned is not accurate and after setting some persistant landscape settings in cyanogenmod advanced settings along with comp cache it seems to be running great for daily use.

The cell radio stuff is reporting as the biggest battery drain even after setting airplane mode so it might be useful figuring out how to actually disable that part of Android like tablets do. I thought it was just a one liner in build.prop but it doesn't appear to get rid of it. There may be something else in init.rc possibly or somewhere else.

I also see there is only performance governor built in would it be possible to have conservative and on demand for battery saving sake? Leaving the default as performance is fine as long as we can go in and change it if we wanted.

I haven't checked yet but is adb over mini USB working? I see its working over wifi and you can do log cats from the terminal also.

Great great work on this notaz I know you said it was a PITA but you make it seem so simple. I was spinning my wheels on how to get a lot of the stuff you already did for weeks and you did it in less than a week... without you the pandora would be nowhere near what it is today.

hahahahaha, cazmeister asking how to install mame4droid in 3,2,1... :)

This thread has all kinds of awesomeness!
actually mame4droid reloaded mame4droid works perfectly but is pretty pointless cause the pandora mame emulation blows it away.Very good vid milkshake its a pity reloaded wont install cause it is absolutelly awesome if the dev can add multithreaded rendering i reckon we'll have the ultimate mame build hell it even plays firefox and cube quest .

Milkshake, you said you had Netflix working well. For me playback seems very smooth, however it still has an audio delay.. most of my apps have a slight sound delay. I also can't seem to launch the cyanogenmod settings at all, it crashes out.. could be related? I started from scratch twice..

Last edited by a moderator:
So I can boot into CM7 no problem. I downloaded and installed Amazon App Store. Since I have an Android phone already I used my account to log in. I did a search for Netflix and started the download. Every time I start the download of Netflix it gets to about 18 percent and then stops, times out and gives me an error telling me to try later. I tried a different app and get the same results. Rebooted my Pandora, launched CM7, launched Amazon App Store, same results. Anyone else run into this?

I would like to use the Android Play store but I haven't quite figured that out. I've downloaded the GAPPS zip and then extracted the files into \pandora\appdata\android_gingerbread. I re-launch CM7 but it locks up.

I'm sure I'm doing something stupid, any ideas?

So I can boot into CM7 no problem. I downloaded and installed Amazon App Store. Since I have an Android phone already I used my account to log in. I did a search for Netflix and started the download. Every time I start the download of Netflix it gets to about 18 percent and then stops, times out and gives me an error telling me to try later. I tried a different app and get the same results. Rebooted my Pandora, launched CM7, launched Amazon App Store, same results. Anyone else run into this?

I would like to use the Android Play store but I haven't quite figured that out. I've downloaded the GAPPS zip and then extracted the files into \pandora\appdata\android_gingerbread. I re-launch CM7 but it locks up.

I'm sure I'm doing something stupid, any ideas?
i deleted a file is it META-INF and rebooted to android you getting that installing black screen doing that should fix it.

Thanks Cazmiester! Deleting the META-INF folder did the trick. So this time I launched CM7 and was prompted to log into my Google account.

So I think my over all problem at this point is my WIFI connection is very spotty while I am logged into CM7. My connection to WIFI with Angstrom is perfect. So until my connection issue is resolved I can't remain connected long enough to install apps. In the mean time I will side load apps until this is fixed.

@Trashy: Sounds like you still have r4. With r5 the sounddelay should be fixed and you can use the options :)

Clear your appdata on upgrading!

Just played World of Goo during a 1 hour train trip.

It crashed a few times back to Android "desktop", but only sometimes after completing a level (or retrying it).

Restarting it worked fine and it successfully saved the completed level data, so it was a simple deal of restarting World of Goo.

Not sure if this is related to SGX, a bug in World of Goo (maybe I'm using an old version?) or to CyanogenMod :)

On my unit, I cannot enter the World of Goo corporation, or it will always crash to desktop.

On my unit, I cannot enter the World of Goo corporation, or it will always crash to desktop.

Same here :)

Is there any way to check logs on Android to see why that happens?

EDIT:

Looks like we're not alone:

Crash when going to virtual corporation (Android)

Android crashes

Other devices, same thing.

So it's not related to our Android port (well, maybe to CM7, as the other guys might also be using CM7).

Nothing big to worry about then.

Has anyone tried starfox on snes in android? not really interested in android myself but will use it just for starfox if it runs better than the pandora version.

Tried getting on to GooglePlay/Market but it keeps timing out with:

“Cant establish a reliable data connection to this server”

My net connection is fine (tested it before and after). Anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: Never mind, it's working now - background data was creating an issue!

Once more, amazing work, guys. Incredible.

I do want to check out the git for this as you seemed to have nailed everything that was missing in the droidora port.
notaz.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=android_pandora.git

There is quite a bit of stuff in patches/all.patch, which has hacks for base code

The cell radio stuff is reporting as the biggest battery drain even after setting airplane mode so it might be useful figuring out how to actually disable that part of Android like tablets do. I thought it was just a one liner in build.prop but it doesn't appear to get rid of it. There may be something else in init.rc possibly or somewhere else.
That drain estimation thing is fake, it shows this on preset percentages from some xml file, i.e. it doesn't do any kind of hardware measurement. I think it's true for other devices too.

I also see there is only performance governor built in would it be possible to have conservative and on demand for battery saving sake? Leaving the default as performance is fine as long as we can go in and change it if we wanted.
I guess it would work if you load appropriate kernel modules before running android (modprobe cpufreq_conservative; ...), but I don't see much point as it doesn't save any battery on pandora, perhaps except on poorly written apps that busywait.

I haven't checked yet but is adb over mini USB working? I see its working over wifi and you can do log cats from the terminal also.
It won't, use wifi/usbnet.

@Trashy: Sounds like you still have r4. With r5 the sounddelay should be fixed and you can use the options :)

Clear your appdata on upgrading!

I'm on R5 on totally brand new class 10 SD cards. This is the Cyanogenmod version. R4 didn't use Cyanogenmod right?

Using my 512meg unit, generally clocked around 980mhz. Although I can't get into the Cyanogenmod settings to set the speed inside there. I've cleared out my SD cards twice and started over from scratch. both attempts had sound delay and the settings crash.

Back