Anatomy Of An F200 D-pad Mod

i fixed my problem, there was some araldyte up against the side where the joypad was, cant believe that affected it, it was only a small bit, it closes up good now
it definetly is a b*#$% of a unit to put back together

IF youre attempting this, i also ended up breaking speaker wire on both speakers, , so had to carefully solder them back

The battery connectors are in series, so i can hook up an external battery as if it was connected internally.

Thanks again gruso for an awesome mod. I think the button presses are a little bit firmer, but its much much better than what it was

I know this is old news, but it is new to me! Soon as I saw what Gruso did and watched his youtube vids (yesterday), I knew I HAD to do this. My F200 has been collecting dust since like a week after I bought it when it was 1st released, because I could not STAND the "d-pad".

Today after school, I ran straight to Home Depot and purchased a Dremel, super glue, and sandpaper. I already had a soldering iron. I got home, and since I have opened the GP2X before, I got everything done in less than an hour. Didn't even muck up the d-pad! Works like a CHARM!!

I even got the hole right the 1st time because of how much it was stressed. I used the Dremel for all the sanding...it was also the 1st time I have ever handled a Dremel. Strangely though, I wasn't too nervous. The part I was a little nervous about was the "tacking" of the d-pad with the soldering iron. Didn't wanna melt too much. After that, I drizzled some super glue between the sides of the d-pad where the buttons meet the cross. Was very sparingly with the glue and took extra special care not to mess up the top of the d-pad.

gp2xmod.jpg

I just wanna say thanks a whole lot to Gruso for outlining this process so well and testing it with all of those games. You have brought my GP2X back from irrelevancy and have saved me from purchasing the Wiz!! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, great to see another one! That's a really neat job too, well done.

While you're breathing new life into your GP2X, you may want to check out Open2x...

CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47311

'Gruso' said:
Ah, great to see another one! That's a really neat job too, well done.

While you're breathing new life into your GP2X, you may want to check out Open2x...

CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47311
Actually, I stayed up late last night updating all of my emus and I installed Open2x. I was amazed at how painless it was!

The pad feels great! Feels a lot like the floating d-pads on the Mad Catz SF4 FightPads. Very responsive. Also, I didn't remove EITHER of the ribbons that run from the board to the LCD. I just placed the board on a small stack of index cards, which kept it at an angle that didn't stress the ribboon's connection to the screen. Then I covered the board with a napkin which kept the white plastic dust that the Dremel kicked up off it. When I was finished, I just hit everything with some compressed air and it was all good!

Back