Amiga Emulators

Freakdoom

Still Fresh
Can a GP do this because IIRC an amiga was a 16 bit machine with a 6/7 MHz CPU and 1MB of RAM (A500+/A600). So is there any chance there are emulators around?

In my personal opinion I think so... Graphics wise the Amiga and GP32 uses the same "raw" format (bitplane graphics), the Amiga 500+/600 was about 1 MIPS, the GP32 is about 165 MIPS in 150 Mhz. The 68000 processor is a CISC and ARM9 is a RISC so it's difficult to compare these processors, the ARM9 (150 Mhz) is not 165 times faster then 68000 in 7.14 Mhz... but it is alot faster...
The Amiga had a lot of coproccessors but UAE has them all emulated... and that source is here and even compiled on an ARM for Linux and it would be a good way to start I think... but to make it possible I think many assembler tricks have to be used to make it fast...
I have used the Castaway emu on GP32 and that emu is great! Amiga 500 and Atari ST is very different computers but has the same processor...

There *were* a few screenies on Gpspain.com a few months back of an early stages Amiga emu. But since then, silence. At a guess, it either turned out to be a hoax (although someone would have told the rest of us by now I think, if it was) or more likely, had work stopped on it. Possibly because it was only running at 5fps or something.

Anyone know anything in the way of updates on this?

mmm... if only possible...

just to being able to play some of the old amiga demos.. The coding skils of some of those guys were amazing... if only we could get some of them coding for the gp32 now that would be someting!

Spaceballs - "State of the Art" Probably the best Amiga demo ever!! remember being blown away when i saw that gem... pure genius! B) Imagine showing that to your mates on a handheld now that would be someting :D

Back