Cyclone 68000 On Arm

jesnil

Still Fresh
As I have understood Ryleh is using a port of Dave's (FinalBurn) Cyclone 68000. And Cyclone 68000 is a asm 68000 emulator that can emulate a very close friend to all of us, the Motorola 68000 chip. As I remember, my old Amiga 500 had an Motorola 68000, and so did the CPS-board.

Doas any one know how hard you can clock the emu on the GP32's arm? If The genesis did run at a speed of 7.6 MHz. The Amiga 2000 (or A500 if you want) run at a speed of 7.14 MHz. Couldnt that mean that an amiga-emu (without sound) would run at acceptable speed?

Other systems that uses the Motorola 68000:

Neo Geo, Motorola, 68000 @ 12 MHz
Capcom Play System, 68000 @ 10 MHz
Capcom Play System 2, 68000 @ 11.8 MHz
Amiga 500 (2000), 68000 @ 7.14 MHz
Atari 520/ 1040 ST 68000 @ 8Mhz
Atari Mega STE 68000 @ 16Mhz

And I guess it would be possible to emulate Sega Saturn sound only :p

jesnil posted on Apr 23 2004 at 08:02 AM said:
As I have understood Ryleh is using a port of Dave's (FinalBurn) Cyclone 68000. And Cyclone 68000 is a asm 68000 emulator that can emulate a very close friend to all of us, the Motorola 68000 chip. As I remember, my old Amiga 500 had an Motorola 68000, and so did the CPS-board.

Doas any one know how hard you can clock the emu on the GP32's arm? If The genesis did run at a speed of 7.6 MHz. The Amiga 2000 (or A500 if you want) run at a speed of 7.14 MHz. Couldnt that mean that an amiga-emu (without sound) would run at acceptable speed?

Other systems that uses the Motorola 68000:

Neo Geo, Motorola, 68000 @ 12 MHz
Capcom Play System, 68000 @ 10 MHz
Capcom Play System 2, 68000 @ 11.8 MHz
Amiga 500 (2000), 68000 @ 7.14 MHz
Atari Mega STE 68000 @ 16Mhz

And I guess it would be possible to emulate Sega Saturn sound only :p

Don't forget good old Sega's arcade boards as well ;)

From http://www.system16.com/

System 16A:
Action Fighter
Alex Kidd
Fantasy Zone
SDI Shinobi
Strategic Defense Initiative
Tetris

System 16B:
Ace Attacker
Alien Syndrome
Altered Beast
Aurail
Bay Route
Bullet
Charon
Cotton
Dunk Shot
Dynamite Dux
E-Swat
Excite League
Flash Point
Golden Axe
Heavy Weight Champ
Jyuohki M.V.P.
Passing Shot
Riot City
Ryukyu
SDI
Shinobi
Sonic Boom
Strategic Defense Initiative
Sukeban Jansi Ryuko
Super League
Tetris
Time Scanner
Toryumon
Tough Turf
Wonder Boy III - Monster Lair
Wrestle War

System 18:
Alien Storm
Bloxeed
Burokushiido
Clutch Hitter
D.D. Crew Desert Breaker
Laser Ghost
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
Shadow Dancer
Wheres Wally?

X Board:
After Burner / ThunderBlade 2x 68000 (10Mhz? can't remember)
Y Board:
Galaxy Force/Power Drift/Rail Chase 3x 68000

And Konami:
Aliens
Block Hole
Crazy Cop
Crime Fighters
Devestators
Gang Busters
Garuka
Gradius 3
M.I.A.
Missing in Action Punk Shot
Quarth
S.P.Y.
Special Project Y
Super Contra
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Main Event
Thunder Cross
Thunder Cross 2

Bells & Whistles
Detana!! Twin Bee
Golfing Greats
Here Comes Twinbee!!
Lightning Fighters
Parodius
Parodius DA!
Premier Soccer
Quiz Gakumon no Susume
Rollergames
Sunset Riders
Surprise Attack
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 : Turtles In Time
Trigon

Yep fingers crossed 2004 is going to be a fun year if lots of people start using Cyclone 68000!

Last edited by a moderator:
fdave: maybe squidge is working on one, maybe not :

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...t=0&#entry98701

see his post towards the middle. With fgen emulating megadrive at 66mhz without sound, it's possible we may get an A500 emu within 133mhz (maybe without sound? who knows!)

If not then maybe STE, it had some cool games as well.

The neogeo has way to much memory....but the NeoGeo CD had a lot less, so it maybe possible to emulate that instead. The only problem would be that the Neogeo had a 12mhz 68000, as well as a Z80 (much like many arcade games from the eighties/early nineties) so doing both of these might be difficult (if it could be done, then a lot of mame stuff would open up as well).

Yeah, the amiga was the one I first thought of. What chipset would be possible to emulate then? Only OCS och even ECS?

khephren posted on Apr 23 2004 at 09:22 AM said:
The only problem would be that the Neogeo had a 12mhz 68000, as well as a Z80 (much like many arcade games from the eighties/early nineties) so doing both of these might be difficult (if it could be done, then a lot of mame stuff would open up as well).
FYI the Megadrive/Genesis also has both a 68000 and a Z80 (which takes care of sound processing). So if it's possible to emulate the Genesis with sound and 0FrameSkip at a good speed, then it might just be possible to emulate the NeoGeoCD (probably with FrameSkip)

PeDRoRist posted on Apr 23 2004 at 09:55 AM said:
khephren posted on Apr 23 2004 at 09:22 AM said:
The only problem would be that the Neogeo had a 12mhz 68000, as well as a Z80 (much like many arcade games from the eighties/early nineties) so doing both of these might be difficult (if it could be done, then a lot of mame stuff would open up as well).
FYI the Megadrive/Genesis also has both a 68000 and a Z80 (which takes care of sound processing). So if it's possible to emulate the Genesis with sound and 0FrameSkip at a good speed, then it might just be possible to emulate the NeoGeoCD (probably with FrameSkip)

Yep, Genesis, A500, NeoGeo, Atari ST, all should run fine on a GP32 with Cyclone, unless there's something I haven't thought of yet.

Though for sound on Genesis, NeoGeo and CPS1/2 we will need a Z80 core written for ARM. However we can run for a time without sound.

fdave posted on Apr 23 2004 at 09:10 AM said:
X Board:
Y Board:
Galaxy Force/Power Drift/Rail Chase 3x 68000
hey fdave, how about release light version (for GP32) of FinalBurn with only those titles supported :)

Emulating the Amiga is a real task. I doubt any port of UAE would be fast enough for most things. remember the amiga 500 has a

68000 @ 7.14 mhz

with 3 custom chips paula, agnus and denise

which include

Copper Co-processor allowing you to cause things to happen at certain scan positions and more. (copper can access hardware registers directectly without cpu, allowing for example colour changes or to cause interrupts)

Powerful blitter with hardware fills and lines. Other graphics hardware includes hardware sprites, multiple playfields, 6 bitplanes (EHB) and HAM mode (4096 colours), resolution to 640x256 PAL @ 4 bitplanes or 640x512 with interlace. Overscan, hardware scrolling and more. note the blitter can copy memory faster than the 68000.

digital audio (4 independent channels)

and all 3 custom chips can access the memory without the cpu (DMA)

certainly a big challenge for any coder to make an amiga emulator (which works). with many games utilising all the custom hardware to its limits its a hell of a lot to emulate.

well for neogeo, it's impossible due to ram requirement, or only less than 8 mo games. So just all the first games like alpha mission. And even NeoCD do'esnt seems possible as it require 7mo only for the ram

Not to take away from the AMIGA, but it certainly isn't the only platform mentioned in this thread with additional circuitry. The capabilities of all the mentioned platforms vary, and the AMIGA is not a the top of of that list.

Hwrd posted on Apr 23 2004 at 11:54 AM said:
Not to take away from the AMIGA, but it certainly isn't the only platform mentioned in this thread with additional circuitry. The capabilities of all the mentioned platforms vary, and the AMIGA is not a the top of of that list.
Not for you maybe... but certainly for myself and many others. I'm more into strategy/3d games (and I don't mean Japanese roleplaying games), which the Amiga had in spades, and the MD and NeoGeo did not. If yiou mean in terms of hardware- then the neogeo has the best hardware, I should think (for 2D sprite games, anyway)
Your right though, the megadrive also featured hardware sprites, and I think a blitter, but i'm not sure. Snes has been done to an ok standard without a ASM core, I definetly think many of the machines mentioned now become a possibility.

As for which Amiga? I guess the A500 with OCS, or (hopefully) A500+ with ECS. I think the A1200 hundred is too much to ask for, it had a 14MHZ 68020 for starters.

hando posted on Apr 23 2004 at 10:31 AM said:
fdave posted on Apr 23 2004 at 09:10 AM said:
X Board:
Y Board:
Galaxy Force/Power Drift/Rail Chase  3x 68000
hey fdave, how about release light version (for GP32) of FinalBurn with only those titles supported :)

Bloody hell, it's gonna be a busy year. And I have a full time job this year as well :p

;)

krousti posted on Apr 23 2004 at 11:16 AM said:
well for neogeo, it's impossible due to ram requirement, or only less than 8 mo games. So just all the first games like alpha mission. And even NeoCD do'esnt seems possible as it require 7mo only for the ram

If most of the roms are graphics, would it be feasible to downsample the graphics I wonder?

How much ram does the GP32 have by the way? haven't checked yet...

Bloody hell, only 8MB??! Shit, err yeah that's going to limit things somewhat :(

Damn. Erm, okay, scratch a lot of those systems for GP32 then. Bugger.

Well let's put it this way. The Amiga will be the last on the list to be emulated properly so I think that say it all :p

BaDToaD posted on Apr 23 2004 at 12:44 PM said:

Well let's put it this way. The Amiga will be the last on the list to be emulated properly so I think that say it all :p

I wouldn't be so sure! - At least the Amiga doesn't have any memory problems. How the hell are we going to fit all those CPS2 games into 8Mb of Ram?!

Can the GP32 load from flash carts midgame fairly quickly?
And can it load asyncronously (what I mean is, for CPS2/Neo Geo, is it feasible to swap bank of graphics in and out of Ram from Flash as they are used)?

Can the GP32 load from flash carts midgame fairly quickly?

First of all it uses Smart Media Cards. And its fairly slow on reading information from the card. I dont think it would be a good looking way to solv it.

>>I'm more
>>into strategy/3d games (and I don't mean Japanese roleplaying games),
>>which the Amiga had in spades, and the MD and NeoGeo did not.

I agree with you totally.

And historical capabilities aside, it was probably the biggest WOW MACHINE ever.

Back