Full Screen Emulators

kram

I've noticed that some emulators (GP Engine and SMS32 for example) are not full screen. They have a black box around the game. Is there any way that I can get the emulator to stretch the picture to fill the entire screen? It's kind of a shame to have a hand held system with such a big screen and not take advantage of it.

There's no really good way to do it, no. The resolution is bigger than most consoles, but it's still less than twice the size. If you stretch the screen, you're going to have some pixels bigger than others (look at GameGear games running in SMS32, for example). PlusIVe uses most of the screen, and I'm pretty sure the upcoming C64 emu will too because I think both machines had the same resolution.

The only machines apart from those two that would run on full-screen are 32-bit systems, which generally used 320x240!

GameBoy games on GPVGB look just fine streched on GP32. Why can't emulators for SMS which runs fullscreen on a TV not run fullscreen on GP?
(Yes I do have no idea what im talking about incase this question sounds crazy)

kram, I'm not sure what emulator is running full screen on TV.. do you mean emulators on X-Box or a similar system? Well, for one thing, X-box has a much higher resolution, so scaling it up probably doesn't result in the pixel effect that gurty was talking about.

Is this what you were talking about?

It's easy to scale anything on a modern console, with 3D graphics hardware that thinks nothing of scaling a 2D bitmap and scaling it anyhow you please for the cost of nothing more than a few params passed in a C function call. All done in hardware.

The guys writing these emulators have no such hardware assist. they have a screen full of 320x240 pixels (well, the other way round so I am told, but still) - they have to do that scaling with software (or if there is hardware to do it - I haven't even looked at gp32 coding, but if it's anything like PPC which I have done some stuff on, there's bugger all hardware assist). Making it look both big and nice is nontrivial unless you are working with exact multiples of the original resolution (which is why GG games look a bit odd stretched in the SMS/GG emu - some pixels are "stretched" and some aren't).

They are doing a damn fine job, and making the GP32 the pleasure to own that it is for all of us, and doing it for free. GPEngine is a bloody miracle that makes the GP32 worth the price on its own, IMO. Never mind a few unused pixels on the GP32's display, let's just be grateful for what these guys are doing for us here :).

\
:)-) - Yak
/

My point exactly...I've always wondered how the Game Gear could run SMS games on it with the converter when the GG itself has a smaller resolution. Either way, the GP32's screen is way bigger than any other machine's screen, so it's no biggie... (actually, I could swear at least one handheld had a resolution of 160x120, half of the GP32's...but I have no idea which! And I might be wrong, anyway!)

Perhaps if there's a lot of unused space, an emulator could use that for something...like rom information, framerate, I dunno. Most use it pretty well...

Ok I think I'm starting to see where your going.

And }Yak{, don't think that I don't appreciate what these coders are doing by creating these emulators. I know that a lot of hard work and time has to be put into creating one and I love them for doing that.

Their efforts and the GP32 have brightened up my life no end :). These old games work sooo well as handheld games... I am having an absolute blast here... Goat I love my gp32 :).

Right, off to play Ancipital :)...

\
:)-) - Yak
/

I've noticed that in PCEngine games, the resolution often changes. For instance, Space Invaders and Bomberman '94 have boxes around the screen, which I didn't actually notice until they were pointed out to me in this post, whereas the R-Type games, and possible others (Aero Blasters?) don't, the game fills up the GP32 screen perfectly. Did these have a wide screen in the arcades and a letterbox format when the were played on a TV, or is the game being stretched? If they are, it doesn't look bad at all, it's a dream to play!

have u ever played on a gt handheld
the screen is so tiny
i have one btw
so going over to the gp32 has made the games more appealing to play
as u have a bigger screen
pgengine rocks big style
sms is kool too
sonic looks awesome and plays kool too
i hated that blurring on the gamegear no more of that anymore

gp32 is the dogs as far as handhelds go

Yeah, but you have to love the Gamegear's backlit screen - I miss that so much! But then again, it did cost you about six AA's an hour.

PC engine emulation is exactly the same on PC - it may be a manufacturer thing, it may be a programming trick to actually use the space in the borders. I dunno...

gamegear's screen was ok, just it was prone to the same problems as original gameboys - mine has a big vertical line down it and no sound. That's what I get for buying used stuff :)

The programmers of R Type (and several other games as well) on the pc engine, wanted to keep the scale of the gfx the same as the arcade - so they designed the screen to scroll up and down a bit although the arcade didnt (see the scale of the ship on sms r type and gb r type - it looks huge) due to the arcades monitor format.

What this actually relates to is possibly that the pc engine may actually be sending more data to your monitor than it can display - which as the screen is larger (therectically) on the gp32 so it may show all the gfx

Possiblee !!!

Back