Amiga Emulation

feddon posted on Dec 30 2004 at 07:45 PM said:
dunno ive got a mouse and keyboard to use if i need them, havnt really tryed the contoller for thos types of games.

Yeah... I figured that...
Damn that... I certainly wish I would stumble over an SP1-expansion...
Ahh... Who only had keyboard, harddisk and floppy-drives.
But I guess the console feel would disappear :)... and make the living room TV look... well messy ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
it definatly does that, cost me a fortune when i got all the stuff, havnt a clue what they go for nowadays.
I got all the bells and whistles like ram and shit too. God i love my amiga..

nonarKitten, are you sure that the "sprites" in blood money were actually sprites? Couldn't those have been BObs (Blitter Objects)? I thought the Amiga sprite hardware only allowed 4 colors per sprite.

Jarska333 posted on Dec 30 2004 at 09:02 PM said:
Edit: Just heard from TV at some company called "Yeahronimo" ( :rolleyes: ) has bought the Commodore brand for $33m... For portable MP3 players and such.

CBMlogo.gif

Long Live Commodore!!! :lol:

That's interesting. Tulip computers owned all the Commodore 8 bit rights, and have now sold them on? Wonder what this means for ironstone, who were creating a new line of C64 related products.

As for the Amiga, a company called Animo owns all the rights to the Amiga line and have set up a company simply called 'Amiga'. You won't find anything about Amiga on the Animo website, since they concentrate on set-top boxes.

Amiga OS website

The site seems like it;s not updated much, but after taking a wuick look in the forums, it looks like there's always plenty going on there.

Hi Dave,

IIRC, the original Psygnosis documentation used the term sprites. While, yes, sprites were normally limited to 4 colours, the could be made to do more - which is why I mentioned that they suffer from a lot of abuse. First of all, two sprites could be stacked to make a 16 colour sprite. Additionally, if the copper were interrupted in the middle of a scanline, it could be possible to refresh the sprites (so long as additional DMAs weren't needed). So, for example, a bullet, which used the same image, could be repeated an unlimited number of times. The player ship, and most enemy units and shots were all sprites - I think only the background was blitter driven (and then, only a little - it mostly used playfields and offset scrolling).

This can be demonstrated in World 2. About 2-3 minutes in, theres a part with a dozen-or-so crawly things that attack you. Not only does the frame-rate drop (on my NTSC Amiga anyway), but some of the badguys vanish altogether - a symptom of sprite behaviour. Slow down on BOB run games just slows down. My Adspeed solved the slowdowns wonderfully.

edit - checked the original requirements for Fellow (which the full source code is available for). Processor wise, a 133-150Mhz Pentium was enough for Amiga500 speeds and needed 11MB of RAM to run minimally (that's 256KB ChipRAM). Fellow wasn't perfect, didn't do cycle-exact emulation by far, and had some CPU core bugs. If code denisty can increase substantially from the x86 code, it might be possible... maybe

-- nonarKitten

DaveC posted on Dec 30 2004 at 09:26 PM said:
nonarKitten, are you sure that the "sprites" in blood money were actually sprites?  Couldn't those have been BObs (Blitter Objects)?  I thought the Amiga sprite hardware only allowed 4 colors per sprite.

I'm waiting for Amiga emulation on the GP64, but in the meantime, I wish there was a decent Amiga emulator for my Mac, the Mac version of WinUAE is a bit rubbish in comparison and doesn't seem to see much development which is extremely unfair...

...anyway Ringo, can the CD32 simply play Amiga stuff on CD? I have a CD32, but didn't know this, how was your CD authoured to do this, I'd love to do the same...

®

i downloaded a disc image off p2p that was made for gp32 i didnt make it myself.

BaDToaD posted on Dec 26 2004 at 10:32 PM said:
Megalomania on DrMD. Perfect version again except for sampled voices.

WHAAATTT, that is THE only game I need, been searching everywhere, can you tell me where I can find it please, and how do I add it to my DrMD which came pre-installed when i bought my GP32 :)

If I can get Megalomania in time for my hols I'll be a happy man indeed :D

...anyway Ringo, can the CD32 simply play Amiga stuff on CD? I have a CD32, but didn't know this, how was your CD authoured to do this, I'd love to do the same...

®

Basicly it's just a bunch of WHDLoad or JST installed games, who are accessed by some sort of front-end. It has nothing to do with my CD 32 - It's just like a bootable harddisk... except on a CD...
The CD I have can be found on any P2p program, but it's hardly legit...

Back