American Express

Just for general information, I ordered through AMEX and started my charge back around the end of December as instructed by the Pandora Team. Later I sent in further details requested by AMEX. Then on Jan. 27, I received an email from Jacquelyn that my chargeback with AMEX was confirmed and I should have my refund. A call to AMEX however said it was not there yet but it may be on it's way and not showing yet. I confirmed with AMEX today that my refund is in my account. I am pleased to say that I have now re-ordered by mailing a check which went out today. I thought this sounded easiest given others recent success with it. So hopefully I get a confirmation email next week that my payment has arrived.

So I just got the reorder options email, but everyone was supposed to get that email right? Just making sure cause Chip did say they'd give a special notice to amex users if action would be required.

P.S. looks like my chargeback failed. o_O

gmhuntr7 said:
So I just got the reorder options email, but everyone was supposed to get that email right? Just making sure cause Chip did say they'd give a special notice to amex users if action would be required.

Yea, I know Craig said he was covering us AMEX users. (Which I am very grateful for) But I hope we get some sort of email saying: "Order number: (long string of alphanumerics) is covered, you will be getting: (contents of what you had ordered)" It would really put my mind at ease seeing as how the only e-mails I have gotten from them were the ones in response to my questions.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
gmhuntr7 said:

Yea, I know Craig said he was covering us AMEX users. (Which I am very grateful for) But I hope we get some sort of email saying: "Order number: (long string of alphanumerics) is covered, you will be getting: (contents of what you had ordered)" It would really put my mind at ease seeing as how the only e-mails I have gotten from them were the ones in response to my questions.

-God Ginrai

Me too.

I realize this may no longer be necessary, but here's what I did to get my money back:

1. Called Amex to initiate a chargeback.
2. Received letter from Amex asking for info and my own signed letter.
3. Replied with a printout of the refund email, subject "*Action required* OpenPandora Order XXXXX" and a letter as follows:

To whom it may concern:

In response to your letter requesting additional information about my chargeback request, please see the attached email I received from the vendor.

In summary, their bank has refused to process all credit card charges for the product I ordered. While they promised a refund within a few days, email dated Dec. 4, I have not received a refund. Further investigation on the vendor's website indicates that their bank is not refunding purchases made with American Express cards. Those of us who have used an American Express card are advised to issue a chargeback to obtain our refunds.

I'm glad I did it because I don't know if I trust OP enough to send them cash. This situation is exactly why I use credit cards whenever I can.

csantoni said:
I'm glad I did it because I don't know if I trust OP enough to send them cash. This situation is exactly why I use credit cards whenever I can.
lack of trust, as you should realize by now, is entirely incompatible with the whole idea of preorders. This is further exaberated by the fact that banks refuse to take the risk on them either.

I hope CC orders will be eventually available to you and you will like what you ordered. I, for one, have no problem with the little risk (and lots of waiting) for my preorder.

It is a cultural thing I suppose - banks & police are likely much more effective in Europe fighting "bait & switch" than their US counterparts, which explains why we Europeans have more trust in our shops.

Woah, my refund just went through. Gah panic time. If I remember right, Chip said that Amex users should do nothing until prompted right? I can't seem to find that post.

(In case I do have to reorder right now before the deadline, I put the exact amount I was refunded right?)

gmhuntr7 said:
(In case I do have to reorder right now before the deadline, I put the exact amount I was refunded right?)
As far as I'm aware, yes, you do. :)

gmhuntr7 said:
Woah, my refund just went through. Gah panic time. If I remember right, Chip said that Amex users should do nothing until prompted right? I can't seem to find that post.
That's correct. Did you initiate a chargeback on the order?

And no need to panic, whatever is going on with your order is obviously special circumstances.

Sigh.

As one of the american express refugees, I'm torn.

I am happy that Craig is doing the right thing by us - he knows that we don't have our money, and while he doesn't either, knows that it's not right ot ask us to pay a second time until we have.

I am sad that he's got to do this though - what the heck type of a bank accepts incoming payments, then camps on them?

I'm also a bit confused - I got my letter today asking for repayment, but with no indication of how much (given that I've not gotten a refund....) I should be paying.

I've replied to the e-mail though, hoping that it was just sent out in error.

Sigh.
Dan.

Chip said:
gmhuntr7 said:
That's correct. Did you initiate a chargeback on the order?

And no need to panic, whatever is going on with your order is obviously special circumstances.

To Chip: Yeah I initiated a chargeback back in Dec. 28 and it just went through (ie my recent activity says -$365 for credit, at least I think that's a refund. I plan to call to make sure.) So do I wait for special instructions or should I act on the "reorder options" email sent to everyone?

-edit: I just called and they said the refund is official and that my inquiries should be marked closed soon.

Lingman said:
Sigh.

As one of the american express refugees, I'm torn.

I am happy that Craig is doing the right thing by us - he knows that we don't have our money, and while he doesn't either, knows that it's not right ot ask us to pay a second time until we have.

I am sad that he's got to do this though - what the heck type of a bank accepts incoming payments, then camps on them?

I'm also a bit confused - I got my letter today asking for repayment, but with no indication of how much (given that I've not gotten a refund....) I should be paying.

I've replied to the e-mail though, hoping that it was just sent out in error.

Sigh.
Dan.
If you dispute the charge, you'll get the money back. It's just a slight headache.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
If you dispute the charge, you'll get the money back. It's just a slight headache.
Yeah, that would be the case, but the chargeback filing period was over a long time ago. That's why a lot of other amex users would feel relieved to see some kind of email saying their items are covered until further notice.

gmhuntr7 said:
daclassicgamingmaster said:
Yeah, that would be the case, but the chargeback filing period was over a long time ago. That's why a lot of other amex users would feel relieved to see some kind of email saying their items are covered until further notice.

Wait, I'm confused. Is it still possible to make a chargeback? I thought I couldn't because I was out of the time bracket for the filling period.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Wait, I'm confused. Is it still possible to make a chargeback? I thought I couldn't because I was out of the time bracket for the filling period.

The chargeback period is arbitrary. Amex just pulled it out of the air as a "fair" period of time. I would bet that if you complain and explain in just the right way, they'd investigate and apply the charge back even though it is outside their policy period. I would win that bet, because apparently that is exactly what has happened on more than one occasion :p
If enough people apply for charge back, it might just get someone in Amex to actually look at the practicies that Craig's ex-bank is engaged in, forcing them to release all further funds automatically.

WizardStan said:
God Ginrai said:

The chargeback period is arbitrary. Amex just pulled it out of the air as a "fair" period of time. I would bet that if you complain and explain in just the right way, they'd investigate and apply the charge back even though it is outside their policy period. I would win that bet, because apparently that is exactly what has happened on more than one occasion :p
If enough people apply for charge back, it might just get someone in Amex to actually look at the practicies that Craig's ex-bank is engaged in, forcing them to release all further funds automatically.
So... then I should still apply for the chargeback?

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
So... then I should still apply for the chargeback?

I would have. On the one hand, the Pandora team says you guys are covered. Even if the bank does not release the money, you still get your Pandora. I think the hope is, eventually, the bank will release the funds to the Pandora team and everything will be well, but that could take a very long while.
If you do a charge back and do manage to get your money, then you can actually repay other ways.
On the other hand, their accounting may already include these messed up Amex orders. If you engage a charge back and get your money, then repay, you may get two! One that you didn't technically pay for. Or at the least, it could cause a lot of headaches as they try to sort out these successful charge backs vs the unsuccessful. Perhaps it's best to wait for an official response.

*is currently waiting to be prompted with special instructions since that's what seems to be the right thing to do*

So about Lingman's worry about the reorder options email being an error, it only arrived because everyone was supposed to get it right? Just making sure that's not the special instructions.

gmhuntr7 said:
*is currently waiting to be prompted with special instructions since that's what seems to be the right thing to do*

So about Lingman's worry about the reorder options email being an error, it only arrived because everyone was supposed to get it right? Just making sure that's not the special instructions.
Jacquelyn said this concerning if we get a re-order e-mail in a response she sent me about my Amex order: "If, in error, you receive an re-order email please ignore it - as we are/have been sending thousands of emails and we may make a mistake :)."

-God Ginrai

Back