Amazing Scaling!

shinneri

Certified Guru
Website
www.gpnewbie.com
I just got a Palm T5, and I've been messing around with the impressive Little John Palm, which emulates a whole bunch of things (SNES, GEN, GB, NES, SMS, GG, 2600..). Controls on a Palm are far from optimal, of course (yes, it even makes me miss the GP2X stick), but I didn't buy the thing for emulation.. that's just a bonus. However, I'm straying from the topic.

Okay, I tested the GB/C emu in LJP and was trying out the scaling options. I set it to a scaling called LQ2X, and I am cosmically moved by the quality and speed. The game literally looks like it's running at 1:1. No blurring whatsoever. No pixelation. It's insane (and very playable still)! :blink:

Anyone else tried this setting in LJP? Any info about this scaling or whether it would be possible on a GB/C emu for 2X? :)

Actually i think i mentioned the excellent scaling of LJP twice or so, when DaveC was whining about how horrible scaling always looks, but it seems i got ignored.

Fishbong said:
Actually i think i mentioned the excellent scaling of LJP twice or so, when DaveC was whining about how horrible scaling always looks, but it seems i got ignored.
Yeah, I think even Dave would approve of this, and it might even be possible on GP2X in something like GB/C.

Last edited by a moderator:
hq2x looks good but is very performance intensive. my xbox chugs with it on in the emulators. there's other scalers that looks very good as well, I like 2xsai a lot and eagle somewhat less. but they all use a lot of cpu. however for gb/gbc it's probably feasible.

from what i'm reading, i don't think lq2x is that much faster than hq2x, i think they're related.

edit: no, i was confused. maybe lq2x is fast? it'd be great if it was. and again, gb/gbc is the perfect application for it since you're doing an exact 2x scale there.

Not sure any of these are really feasible as don't they only work when the screen is doubled. To do it on the 2x you would have to scale up using the algorithm and then scale down to fit the 2x screen which probably wont look too good. Even the original gameboy resolution was 160*144 which obviously won't fit the Gp2X when scaled up.

ruckage said:
Not sure any of these are really feasible as don't they only work when the screen is doubled. To do it on the 2x you would have to scale up using the algorithm and then scale down to fit the 2x screen which probably wont look too good. Even the original gameboy resolution was 160*144 which obviously won't fit the Gp2X when scaled up.
well, if you cut off the top and bottom you'd only lose 2 pixels on each side, which isn't too bad.

edit: apparently my math is terrible...144x2=288, so you'd lose a heck of a lot more. the only reason i thought it'd be good for gba was because i thought you wouldn't lose much. but yeah. everything ruckage said is correct. you'd have to scale down afterwards so it'd look bad, probably not worth the cpu time.

edit2: i've been playing around in photoshop and actually it doesn't look that bad scaled.

zelda.gif
1x centered

zelda-hq2x-crop.gif
hq2x (the only one i could find with a binary) cropped

zelda-hq2x-scaled.gif
hq2x (the only one i could find with a binary) scaled

of course, the problem with scaling is that you end up with a kind of shimmering since the scaling isn't even, and objects move across the screen evenly.

rokdcasbah said:
ruckage said:
well, if you cut off the top and bottom you'd only lose 2 pixels on each side, which isn't too bad.

No - you would lose 24 pixels at the top and 24 at the bottom. 2x 144 = 288, the gp2x vertical res is 240.

Back