Aluminium Case being made!

I am interested as well. I may even have to pay the extra 30 since I really don't want to screw up while swapping. I watched your video of taking the Pandora apart and there is just too much that can go wrong  :wacko: (embarrassing as it is to say).

I am interested as well. I may even have to pay the extra 30 since I really don't want to screw up while swapping. I watched your video of taking the Pandora apart and there is just too much that can go wrong  :wacko: (embarrassing as it is to say).
Although I am not usually scared to mess around inside my electronics I am considering this also.  I have a CC and can't afford to replace it right now(which is why this case is good for me).

I would like to see an example of the black, but I am pretty sure I want grey.  I would love to get a metal cased Pyra at launch if possible.

I would LOVE Aluminum for Pyra too. That is partially why I want to support one for Pandora, so we figure out a good method of housing the antenna before Pyra is released!

Bear in mind the Pyra uses an enclosed board-mounted antenna, while the Pandora has a fiddly one you need to route through the hinge - quite a different design. Though lessons learned in minimising the attenuation of EM wifi signals will likely be transferrable, more specific techniques such as the placement of EM windows and so on will be less useful.

Maybe make a poll to know how many people would buy such a case for 100€.

I would LOVE Aluminum for Pyra too. That is partially why I want to support one for Pandora, so we figure out a good method of housing the antenna before Pyra is released!
I hope it happens for Pyra in a way that can accommodate the 3G and Wifi.  I am less concerned about it for Pandora since I can't stand using the internal Wifi, but if it is done in a way that maintains the robustness while working with wifi it will be better.

I'm thinking about solutions for this wifi issue, but I'm not sure if there really are some.

One idea was to place the antenna on the left or right of the main board and make the sides from plastic, but I have no idea if that will work. The next idea was to place it between headphone jack and SD card slot and make the part below from plastic. However, this may cause sound issues.

Last, but not least: Putting some plastic part in the lid would look weird, but maybe it will help just to make the part very thin where the antenna sits. That means the whole case will still be made of aluminum.

ED, how thick will they be?  How will the battery cover attach?  Will shoulder buttons remain plastic?  Is there any concern about the stylus slot?

Sorry for all the questions.  Also, stop trying to take all my money. :p

Hopefully coming soon: metal stlyi.  I haven't been able to get it done myself, but maybe someone else has looked into printing some, or something.

I would definitely swap my 1 GHz into a hard anodized aluminum case, regardless of the impact on the internal wifi.  I use the internal wifi now, but would switch to a USB version to have the new case...

I would definitely swap my 1 GHz into a hard anodized aluminum case, regardless of the impact on the internal wifi.  I use the internal wifi now, but would switch to a USB version to have the new case...
Same here. I only use my wi-fi for Compo4All anyways, so if I need to get a USB dongle, it's no bid deal. Just having a better looking and more durable case is worth it to me.

Chris

will the schematics be adjusted to fix some of the issues he original case had like the screen bezel? I remember the guy who designed the case saying its a pretty easy fix, but would cost too much to change the molding machine at that point. This seems like the right opportunity.

This is my favorite news update, it may have been the first thing I ever asked about after joining.  Thank you, and I thank your mysterious someone who offered to design this case.  Undoubtedly a few changes are going to be needed, but how about changes which aren't necessarily needed?  Such as a second pair of shoulder buttons!  Excitement rides me onward toward more excitement, please forgive my appetite.  Four clean officially installed aluminum shoulder buttons, (will the buttons be metal too? Golly I hope so) it could inspire me to buy another Pandora, but I will certainly purchase this case once it's ready.

Large thank you.

This is awesome and something I have always thought would be cool to have.  The wifi thing sucks, but I use a usb dongle anyway so its not a huge deal to me.  

Yes, I'm interested to buy a couple once they are made available.

Although I am not usually scared to mess around inside my electronics I am considering this also.  I have a CC and can't afford to replace it right now(which is why this case is good for me).

I would like to see an example of the black, but I am pretty sure I want grey.  I would love to get a metal cased Pyra at launch if possible.
He he I might go for black. I actually I like the black finish more than the silver :p

Back