Alive and kicking (some pictures)

I find my cheapo phone has a bad vertical angle, so when holding the phone portrait it's fine but when holding it landscape the vision of your left eye is dark while your right eye is light.
So it gives you this very weird 3D flicker feel unless you close one eye.

EDIT: WAIT I JUST NOTICED!
You have a purple power button on one of the photos! Is this one of the settings in the OS?

Last edited:
Viewing angles beyond 45* on a 5" screen handheld are completely irrelevant unless you're wanting to make sure shoulder surfers get a good look. This is not a group device. This is not a 15' away everyone watch from a giant L shaped couch device. Viewing angles covering anything beyond the person running the controls are simply wasted light - or a bonus if you're showing it off to the guy next to you on the train.

Having your handheld device emitting legible light patterns in a direction other than your eyeballs is an inefficiency, not a metric to strive for.

OMG: you are totally lost about LCD viewing angles. Simply you don't understand problems about LCD displays and viewing angles.

First, you understand things exactly in the opposite way: LCDs with worse viewing angle are the ones really emitting INCORRECT and WASTED light in those bad angles. An LCD with worse viewing is inefficient about emitted light: look at a display with bad viewing angle: when you look it in bad angle you will see incorrect light, color shift, etc, etc: all wasted light/energy: inefficient.

Simply you don't understand basic aspects about LCD and viewing angles.

Do you regularly use a computer from an oblique angle? If yes, move you or the monitor.

I own 2 Nintendo DS Lite: its screens have bad viewing angles: when you use it you can notice it (color shits, etc). Well, it may be you use a Nintendo DS Lite (or other items) in statue way, with your body frozen all time, but most people don't do that :)

Even in a pocket mobile device you end using it in much more different positions than a fixed computer, and you move your body and your arms to different positions, and viewing angle isn't fixed (that is my experience with a lot of pocket devices). Even if Pyra is sitting in a desktop, your body/head won't be fixed.

I own 2 Zarus SLC pocket computers, and its screens have bad viewing angles too: you notice it when you use it.

Even today I own a Thinkpad X201, with bad viewing angle: it is a really weak point (so much I am going to change original display for a compatible more advanced one if I can find one).

And with a pocket device, a device that a lot of times you use holding with your ands, you end using more different viewing angles, because you move your arms, you change your body position, because most of use aren't statues (are you?). Really it seems like if you have never used a pocket computer/console.

Why do you think most mobiles phones (even 120€ phones) have excellent viewing angles from years ago? (It is one of the aspects I like about modern phones, although I don't like a lot of other aspects where they have gon to worse: fixed batteries, spy SO, no physical keyboards, etc).

Do you have boy/gril-friend, or friends? It may be you want they can see how you use Pyra, or even you can want to see same thing (a web, a film, a text document, etc) on Pyra. But even if you are alone, you will look at your Pyra at different viewing angles (and you don't need to exaggerate and talk about looking at at 180 degres, of course).

Of course I think Pyra LCD (BOE ADS LCD) will be good, with a much much better viewing angle than NDS Lite, Zaurus SL-C, Thinkpad X201, and even it may be very near to an IPS LCD (or even better than some IPS LCD), but most of use want to know exactly how good it is. BOE makes displays for a lot of modern smartphones, so it may be good, and we want to know (well, Grenks doesn't want to know, because he gets enough with religious faith).

Even I think it is good to know it in a deep and precise way, because you can't stop people talking: when Pyra go out, people will review it in a lot of webs, and I word like "not so good viewing angles" compared to a normal smartphone can be misleading: it is better to know how good it is exactly, so it can't be misleading with wander words.

Nope. Not afraid. I am simply confident in EvilDragon. He's said it's good. If he says it's good, subject done.

Then you came move on. Move on in every aspect your good says "it's good" without asking nothing, without knowing anymore, but you should understand most of us want TO KNOW. If you don't want to know, please move on, but don't expect most of use don't want to know about Pyra in much more deeper way.

Last edited:
I still think this discussion is kinda moot. The Pandora screen (at least the one in my model, as there were different ones used over time) has great viewing angles actually, so I doubt we'll be getting anything worse for the Pyra.
Back at the last Gamescom, while I didn't specifically looked for it, the prototype's screen didn't have any viewing angle issues. Look for photos that were posted by forum users back then. Brightness trumped the GPD Win (though I can't vouch that both were at 100% brightness) and there are some photos with a good amount of tilt, which should give you an idea about the viewing angles. It should be noted that the screen there still had the overly grainy touch screen layer on it, however.

An LCD with worse viewing is inefficient about emitted light
They are generally awfully inefficient about emitting light, half of the light from the backlight is already lost before it hits the color filters of the subpixels, no matter what kind of panel you use.

By the way: TN panels need less power than IPS.

I'm sure, there's some viewing angle independent low power kind of segment display out there.

Back