Akumajou Densetsu > Castlevania Iii

Alucard

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I noticed that "Akumajou Densetsu" runs much faster than "Castlevania III" (US and European Versions) in LittleJohn. Does anyone know how that comes? The only difference I see between the Japanese and the English version is that there are some pitbulls instead of fleamen in the original and the music sounds different (though the melodies are the same).
I found a hacked version of Akumajou Densetsu translated to English - only the "Castlevania III - Dracula's Curse" - screen is missing. Akumajou Densetsu runs perfectly (the hacked version as well) with LittleJohn - but I'd like to have the Castlevania - title screen in it, and the fleamen... As I said, Castlevania III (US and Europe), runs too slow too really enjoy it.

Just curious, i assume. AD does have good musics, even good drums.. :)

Come to think of it, it has an extra sound chip to emulate, so it should run worse... Of course, if parts of the music is actually replaced, and the chip isn't supported, then the load is actually less... Les stuff to play.

Blah posted on Feb 2 2005 at 03:20 AM said:
Your point being...?
You're right, I didn't make it clear. As Jarska said: just curious. But I also wanna play "Castlevania III" rather than "Akumajou Densetsu" on my GP32 because of the fleamen and the Castlevania-logo - but at the right speed. I now tested the to 160 MHz overclocked (by Horscht) version of LittleJohn and as expected, Akumajou Densetsu runs way too fast. The European version of Castlevania III has the appropriate gaming speed (a little faster) - but the music runs too fast. But the US-version seems to run nearly perfect. I guess it's just a tiny bit too fast now. A 156MHz- or 154MHz-version of LJ should play Dracula's Curse as it would on a real NES.
By the way, I always use frameskip 0. With fs 1 or auto the US-version also runs on 133MHz-LJ at the right speed - but it's no more smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
where are you getting overclocked versions of little john?? please give a link or share :D

Akumajo does sound WAY better.

EDIT: for real I'm looking all over for this, google, GP world and such, and find references to these overclocked little johns but can't find the files anywhere....

EDIT AGAIN: ugh... well I found it... what a waste of time... yeah it plays the games more accurate, speed wise, but the music skips and jumps and is very annoying. I tried different frameskips and such and other options and nothing worked. Ah well.....

bast525 posted on Feb 2 2005 at 11:46 AM said:
where are you getting overclocked versions of little john?? please give a link or share :D
From this board! Follow the white rabbit...

bast525 posted on Feb 2 2005 at 11:46 AM said:
Akumajo does sound WAY better.
But does it also on LittleJohn? I noticed it sounds different, but is the special sound of Akumajou Densetsu emulated correctly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Having never played the actual japanese version on a real system, I can't say for sure, but it does seem to be 'correct' and definately sounds better than the US version.

Now that I found out how he did it, I can go and hex edit it some more and try all kinds of different clock speeds... my goal is to get Mario 3 running full speed w/o the annoying sound skips. It's 'close' at the default speed... even though the emu reads 60fps and 98% of fullspeed... it seems to be just a tad bit slower... enough to be noticeable. I'll try some speeds in the 140s and see what happens.

Back