Addon Keyboard Anyone?!

spamme

Still Fresh
There are so many posts to read, I rather post this idea and get yelled at if someone already had this idea than read every single posts :p
Anyways, I was thinking since there might be some issue with the touchscreen and keyboard that some might have suggested, and since I haven't held the device I wouldn't know how it really works, but why not provide some suggestions that might be even better? I was thinking essentially, whatever the design craigx and others have come up with in regards to the keyboard, make the keyboard attachable. So if it is a clamshell, the keyboard can be attached, and still fold out like a clamshell. Or it could just be like the PSP with the keyboard detached. Truly, I only see the keyboard useful when we get a C64 emulator and I play some Mars Saga or something :p Or Dos emulator for Heroes of Might and Magic II. Even then, I think I can play those games without a keyboard, and make due with a virtual one. So maybe webbrowsing would be good then? I dont know, just that if there was some difficulty with holding the keyboard and controls like the design now, maybe an attachable keyboard shouldn't be out of the question? Just my thoughts.

Now the keyboard is easily accessible so you can write with your thumbs. I don't see any other way that this device could keep the keyboard so easy to use. But the thing that I do know is that the keyboard means a lot to me, I need it for irc, messenger, schoolwork and other stuff.
I think that the best thing about Pandora is that it is designed so that you can too many things with it and that couldn't be possible without good keyboard.

Gaeryc said:
Now the keyboard is easily accessible so you can write with your thumbs. I don't see any other way that this device could keep the keyboard so easy to use. But the thing that I do know is that the keyboard means a lot to me, I need it for irc, messenger, schoolwork and other stuff.
I think that the best thing about Pandora is that it is designed so that you can too many things with it and that couldn't be possible without good keyboard.
So what do you think about a keyboard that allows you to attach it only when you need it? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
spamme said:
Gaeryc said:
So what do you think about a keyboard that allows you to attach it only when you need it? :p

I just don't see working so well as the current one.

I don't fancy carrying round yet another peripheral. I'd rather it was neatly built into the console.

This topic has been discussed at length in both Pandora design threads, and the main Pandora thread. Even though I'm a proponent of the detachable keyboard design, I hardly see the need for yet another thread discussing this. *sighs*

spamme said:
I think that it would leave me with an extra component to carry around all the time. When I listen to this as an mp3 player and it's in my pocket I don't really need the screen. Maybe we can have a detachable screen? (sorry, couldn't resist)

LOL hmm I see all your points, like the battery inside and stuff. I didn't think about the design much, was just thinking the detachable keyboard can actually fold up, so we don't have to worry about carrying anything extra, since what would be consider extra would be the same as without the detachable keyboard. That doesn't fix the battery issues though, unless we make the clamshell keyboard smaller. Well point taken.

teggun said:
I'd rather there was no keyboard on a handheld gaming device.
And I'd rather there was a keyboard on my internet-capable Linux computer, because that's what this thing is. Anyone who would spend that kind of money on such a powerful machine just to play some old Nintendo games is suffering from some severe brain damage.

let me add my beating to this dead horse as well...

I would prefer the keyboard be detachable... AND A COVER. It would not be a perhiperal, but it being detachable is the only feasible way for it to function as both a laptop-style foldout keyboard AND hide away while youre doing console gaming AND cover the screen when the device isnt in use. If you are a pure gamer you COULD leave the keyboard at home, but that would not be the main goal of this design.

Sparr said:
If you are a pure gamer you COULD leave the keyboard at home
You're saying a keyboard is not part of pure gaming? I guess the Spectrum, C64, Amiga, ST, DOS, etc don't count. Video gaming didn't start with the PS1 y'know.

This is a valid argument GunPai2X makes. But i have to ask. What games that doesn't only use typing to control the game, has an actual need for the keyboard? I don't mean like Frontier Elite 3, where you have fastbuttons, which might as well be pressed on the touchscreen, but games where you need speedy access to the full keyboard. I actually cant come up with a single one that wouldn't do just fine with the gamepad buttons tied to the buttons you need.
Text only games are a whole different can of worms, but are they really going to be playable on this tiny screen for extended periods of time?
B!

Mr B said:
This is a valid argument GunPai2X makes. But i have to ask. What games that doesn't only use typing to control the game, has an actual need for the keyboard? I don't mean like Frontier Elite 3, where you have fastbuttons, which might as well be pressed on the touchscreen, but games where you need speedy access to the full keyboard. I actually cant come up with a single one that wouldn't do just fine with the gamepad buttons tied to the buttons you need.
Text only games are a whole different can of worms, but are they really going to be playable on this tiny screen for extended periods of time?
B!
Say i'm playing an FPS, and i wan to be able to access all my weapons quickly and easily, i'd much rather press my shotgun button than flick through 20 weapons to find it!

magicman5421 said:
5 bucks says that if it was a peripheral, I would lose it.
I don't want it to really be a peripheral, I want it to be a detachable part of the unit. There is a difference. For most people you would never separate the two, but you could assemble them into different configurations. For people who never use the keyboard, it would be the case cover. The Nokia 770 cover doesnt DO anything, and no one loses those.

Sparr said:
magicman5421 said:
5 bucks says that if it was a peripheral, I would lose it.
I don't want it to really be a peripheral, I want it to be a detachable part of the unit. There is a difference. For most people you would never separate the two, but you could assemble them into different configurations. For people who never use the keyboard, it would be the case cover. The Nokia 770 cover doesnt DO anything, and no one loses those.

5 bucks says that if it was detachable period i would lose it. and so would a lot of other people.

Back