Pandora keyboard (multiple keypress)

erico

Advanced Member
Website
sites.google.com
I don´t own a Pandora.

But was wondering. how many keyboard presses can be done simultaneously?

The idea is a two player game, where each player controls his character on each analog thing.

Some buttons must be pressed and may happen at the same time, considering I use some of the qwerty keyboard keys, would there be any trouble on this front?

As far as my pc goes, my old p2 microsoft keyboard can handle many on different rows, my usb´s one can´t do much at all.

What about the Pandora?

Thanks in advance.

That depends on which keys.

The main keyboard input is based on the keypad matrix. A table showing the layout for this can be found here. Key presses on the matrix are triggered by shorting the relevant row and column lines.

Any buttons not on the keypad matrix (the gaming controls) are on their own gpio inputs so these won't interfere with detection of any other keys. 

- Neelix

That depends on which keys.

The main keyboard input is based on the keypad matrix. A table showing the layout for this can be found here. Key presses on the matrix are triggered by shorting the relevant row and column lines.

Any buttons not on the keypad matrix (the gaming controls) are on their own gpio inputs so these won't interfere with detection of any other keys. 

- Neelix
That's pretty nice, but how does that indicate which keys can or can't be help in combination?

Well certain keypress combinations will block others from being detected.  

Say for example you have 2 (in row 6, column 1) and R (in row 4 Column 2) both held down.   This will effectively mask W and 4 from view, and they will not be detected. 

For any 4 cells on the grid in a rectangular formation, only the first 2 pressed will register at any given time. 

If you avoid such formations however you can get quite a few simultaneous keypresses in.   (Just now I manage to successfully combine A E 4 O and V,  though such a manoeuvre is somewhat awkward to execute.)

You can see this in action for yourself by loading the Pandora Input Tester and trying out the combinations for yourself.

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
With the nubs, dpad, game buttons and shoulder buttons, you can already give each player a nub and 5 "buttons" (if you count the dpad as 4 buttons) without any interference at all. You could add a few keyboard buttons that are chosen such that interference is also impossible, e.g. Q,W,E for player 1 and I,O,P for player 2.

However, the bigger challenge is probably how two players can comfortably share the tiny Pandora keyboard and view the screen together. For two or more player games, it's probably best to use a second controller and TV out anyway, unless the game is turn-based or very slow.

Back