Accessories/ultimate Docking Station Thread

thx for the reply, but I'm used to some video encoding =`] I'm just talking a newbie solution would be great for the pandora

back on topic

I really think people need gps and some better tv-out (like vga), it would be awesome for using on a car, and would be a great media center (streaming straight from your pc or right off your sd)

those are, in my opinion, the 2 most essencial add-ons.

some more usb ports are a nice extra also, people will want to connect stuff like mouses and pendrives at once

So, here is my I dea for a Pandora Accessory:

THE ULTIMATE PANDORA-RUBBER-RUGGED-PROTECTOR! :D

Scetch1 was my first try with Pandora Case Inside, Sketcch2 is the newer improved one with just the Protector shown. Seperate Parts for LID and Case, Full open LID possible.
Protector is attached with tape or pinched with some kind of flat spring inside the Construct. ^^

fusion_power said:

Scetch1 was my first try with Pandora Case Inside, Sketcch2 is the newer improved one with just the Protector shown. Seperate Parts for LID and Case, Full open LID possible.
Protector is attached with tape or pinched with some kind of flat spring inside the Construct. ^^

I'd buy that for a dollar! (Robocop quote)

But seriously, I would buy that - if it existed. For up to $25. It's a good investment to protect my $330 investment in the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:

How do you open it?

sindbad said:
How do you open it?
Like you open the Pandora. I've wrote that there are seperate parts for LID and CASE so onto the Pic you see the Top of the Lid, the lower part onto the Case is not connected with the upper part.
However, I'm not sure if we still could open the lid full 180° ^^"""""

My ideal docking station would have bluetooth, a usb hub to connect @ least 4 more devices to it and a webcam

For me, I would only want:
a charger
around 6 USB ports, spaced out for different sizes of things
maybe some better speakers on the side
maybe a DVI or RGB port
maybe the normal composite outlets(like there would be on the back of a DVD player) so the person can use their own male-to-male jacks for it, that way it would be cheaper for the person as well.
and some battery cells put in for extra power on the Go.
that is all I would use it for.

I don't know, a webcam, bluetooth, 8 USB ports, a monitor, 2 GB of ram, a full AMD motherboard, and a coffee maker?

(thats what you guys sound like)

I want a docking station that has built-in MIDI In/Out/Thru ports (as many as possible, I mean, come on, a UART is cheap) and quite a few knobs on it, and the reason I want this is because I think the Pandora would be quite nice music-making platform, so if there were a console that I could slide the Pandora into that would give me music tools, knobs, sliders, buttons, MIDI and Audio outputs, this would rock. Seriously.

that armor thing is very cool, i would get one.

and can we stop talking about things that ARE NOT going to happen?
bear in mind that pandora doesnt have a special proprietary external device connector, a docking station would only be able to add things if they could be implemented through usb anyway (and if they had drivers).
for instance, rbg/dvi/component/whatever output? not possible directly with the hardware, MIGHT be usable with a usb adapter, but these tend to require cpu power, and have quite a delay.
also, they AREN'T going to make custom devices that are expensive and can be easily implemented through a usb connection (gps? midi interface? built in harddrives? serial port??).

and why the heck are people requesting HD video output, the pandora isnt even HD internally!

anyway, i think we will need some kind of database for usb periphrials that work or dont work.

All I'd need from a dock would be: Power, 1x DVI, 1x USB, 1x SPDIF in, 1x SPDIF out

A dock is designed to sit on the desk, not be an expandable portable base. All the peripherals plug into the dock and the device is only used as a processor - not for input/output anylonger.
DVI or VGA monitors can be connected via the DVI port. Stick a powered USB hub into the USB port and plug your keyboard/mouse/ethernet etc into that - the dock doesn't need more than 1 port! Digital in/out for audio hardware and job done - a DAC can be connected if you want analogue I/O.

You could say trash the SPDIF and use a USB sound card, and either would make sense - speakers on the desktop in both cases - but just about all software would require manual reconfiguration when switching between docked/undocked.

My docking station would have:

4 USB ports for expandibility (Controllers, WiFi dongles, Pendrives, etc.)
Earphone jack
Built in wifi if possible.
built-in AC power adapter. :pandora1:

jakshep2 said:

Earphone jack
Why does the dock need WiFi?

I'm not too bothered about a dock, I may make my own, but it would probably only consist of a usb hub and power adapter. However on the accessories side (portable accessories) I have a few ideas that i'll be investigating when I get my hands on a pandora.

jakshep2 said:

Earphone jack
Pandora has WiFi already in it. You don't need that in the dock - unless you are wanting to use the dock without actually docking the Pandora somehow.

There might never be an official "Pandora's Dock" ™ ® (patented) (sm) ©... But I'm definitely going to get one of these for it. (Assuming unpowered portable hard drives work with the Pandora.)

An ideal dock would have a number of port extenders, perhaps nicer speakers, an additional battery pack, a cigarette lighter jack, and a mount for a car. Even if they don't make something like this, I'm totally doing it the second I get the Pandora. :p

Back