Planned Hardware Hacks/mods

tarkness

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
dockingstation, accupack, external hddvd-drives in well-fitting pandora design... bigger screen :D all this could be discussed in the "ultimate docking station" thread - but what about the internal mods &| hacks?
just say what you would like to see or what you already planned to do :)

this is kinda a hard topic without seeing the actual case... we dont really know what will fit and what wont.
i was thinking of drilling a hole in the side of the top part of the case, and putting a headphone jack there with wires spliced off from the speakers. would make it much easier for listening when its in my pocket.

I will be buying a MoGo bluetooth adapter to tether my Pandora wirelessly to my cell phone for EVDO goodness. Assuming everything works as it should, I will be disassembling the adapter and the Pandora and finding a way to stick the former into the latter. Not much of a "hack", but internal bluetooth is the only important thing the Pandora is missing.

Not hack/mod as such, but i plan on trying to get a USB controller board (have one already) working with the pandora and connecting it to the guts of an R/C transmitter, to make a sweet Controller for R/C devices. and then try and get a wireless camera to display on the screen (their are ones avaliable with usb recievers)....I have no idea how sucessful ill be though. But it'll be fun to try.

I shall modify the CAD files and machine myself a Solar Pandora. Wish me luck.

In addition, I'm going to attempt to build a QRP amateur radio transmitter that snaps onto the bottom, which I'll use for packet radio (and possibly slow Internet over packet radio TCP/IP).

atomicthumbs said:
I shall modify the CAD files and machine myself a Solar Pandora. Wish me luck.

In addition, I'm going to attempt to build a QRP amateur radio transmitter that snaps onto the bottom, which I'll use for packet radio (and possibly slow Internet over packet radio TCP/IP).
You took the words right out of my mouth. I too am an amateur radio operator and I thought that the Pandora would be PERFECT for packet, (and any other mode for that matter).

Last edited by a moderator:
ledow said:
Oh, come on, someone's gotta strap a Wiimote to it and make the whole Pandora into a tilting maze game.
I've got an i2c accelerometer I've been meaning to glue into something, had it in my eeepc for a while but had to take it out to give it a lower profile to fit in the space, never put it back in. I'm sure I could cram it into the pandora :D

Chip said:
I will be buying a MoGo bluetooth adapter to tether my Pandora wirelessly to my cell phone for EVDO goodness. Assuming everything works as it should, I will be disassembling the adapter and the Pandora and finding a way to stick the former into the latter. Not much of a "hack", but internal bluetooth is the only important thing the Pandora is missing.

That's a pretty sweet idea. If you could do it so that the USB connector on the outside is still accessible and usable that would be great rather cool!

DasFool said:
Chip said:

That's a pretty sweet idea. If you could do it so that the USB connector on the outside is still accessible and usable that would be great rather cool!

Yeah, I was going to wire the BT PCB directly to the Pandora's USB bus internally, so I'd still have the port available on the outside.

Seems like the point is moot now, though :p

Maybe I would perhaps flip the screen, remove the keyboard and have it more like gp2x's form factor, I'm a big gaming fan and would not use the UMPC features much!

[edit] Didn't catch that you were referring to one of the units I was referring to and that we didn't NEED them...

Nice that the "problems" are being fixed with things like that... :D

fusion_power said:
You just need a Vibrator and glue it onto the Pandora. :lol:
I can see it now... People going into the "adult toy" shops to pick up one of those USB powered/controlled vibes just to add rumble... :lol:

[edit]

In keeping with the thread subject, I only wish that there was a CF slot in the beastie. But, can't have everything- I'll just have to resort to
a Toshiba Lifebook hand-held for THAT particular project...

Svartalf said:
[edit] Didn't catch that you were referring to one of the units I was referring to and that we didn't NEED them...

Nice that the "problems" are being fixed with things like that... :D

fusion_power said:
I can see it now... People going into the "adult toy" shops to pick up one of those USB powered/controlled vibes just to add rumble... :lol:

It'll need underclocking so it rumbles instead of buzzes... ;)

Snu said:
this is kinda a hard topic without seeing the actual case... we dont really know what will fit and what wont.
i was thinking of drilling a hole in the side of the top part of the case, and putting a headphone jack there with wires spliced off from the speakers. would make it much easier for listening when its in my pocket.

Would this not mean that the pandora is playing in your pocket? if you shut down the speakers you'd stop the new headphone from playing as well ;)

fusion_power said:
Firefox said:
Rumble pack! ;)

great ;)

i am also especially full of expectation for the i2c accelerometer by thos_thom and the Solar Pandora by OpenStu :D

Canguy said:
A switch to kill the power to the radio.

Canguy
i would even add more switches to power off any unused parts for energy saving reasons

Back