Abxy

Status
Not open for further replies.
That debate has already raged over many many pages. Xbox like, SNES like, GPH like, numbers, symbols, letters, nothing, on and on it went. Many have a preference, some couldn't give a flying. At one point the team was being wary of patent violation, not sure how big a threat that was.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure we even know what the final layout is yet. What we do know is, it doesn't really matter.

NESW for the win.. ;)

But yes, it doesn't really matter, now does it? I don't even know what the GP2x has (though it probably has it the same as on that pandora mockup)... :p

durrrrrrrrrnp8.png

The Pandora has been built from the ground up by the gp2x community, so it's only natural that it has the same layout

Plus, people who use SNES emulators/etc expect the snes layout, completely ignoring what is written on the buttons. Its the same with every other system.

So it makes sense for the homebrew games to use the same layout as GP2X homebrew games.

Mithrildor said:
Ive just noticed on this:

http://openpandora.org/bigone.jpg

That the A and X have a strange placement. What's wrong with the way how the Xbxo 360 handles it? I hate that those controls are different on every console. They are different on the DS , PS etc , really annoying.

I find it annoying that they vary from console to console as well, but what's wrong with the way the SNES/DS handle it? What's wrong with the way the GP2X/Pandora handle it? What's so special about the 360? There's no one right way when it comes to this. However, the Pandora was built as a sort of spiritual successor to the GP2X. If we must pick one layout over another, our best or perhaps most appropriate bet would be the GP2X layout.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Xbox layout as well, but as has been discussed in the past, nothing is stopping us from changing the layout ourselves in software, or even rearranging the physical layout of the buttons. I don't know if I'll be going that far, but I hope and plan to remap the buttons to the appropriate Xbox style functions.

That is, unless there ends up being a truly unified control scheme across more than 75% of the apps as well as the OS. If that were to happen, if nearly every app used the same buttons to accept or cancel, among other functions, I would just get used to it. :) But since everyone has different ideas about application function and design (as evident by these button and control threads that keep popping up) I realize how unlikely that is.

I dont care how the buttons are configured. You can set the individual buttons anyway in the game, and if your really a person which wants everything to happen your way, then you can just pry it open and swap the buttons to your liking so they look as you want them to look.

sheesh, all this rumbling about 2 swapped buttons.... imagine if the analogs turn out to be psp-ish after all, think of the rumbling that would be there.

Seriously, why care?
Just remap them software-wise, and put stickers on them/replace the buttons if you really feel you need to...

mechanizeddeath said:
That is, unless there ends up being a truly unified control scheme across more than 75% of the apps as well as the OS. If that were to happen, if nearly every app used the same buttons to accept or cancel, among other functions, I would just get used to it. :) But since everyone has different ideas about application function and design (as evident by these button and control threads that keep popping up) I realize how unlikely that is.
That's exactly what actually happens with the GP2X and its button layout. There's not a clear "main" button for actions. "A" is placed in an uncommon position to be the "main", so many developers choose "B" or "X", but they're not as cool as "A"... so there's no possibility of having an unified control scheme.

This is the only issue that lacks of common sense in all the Pandora project, IMHO. If the GP2X layout is finally adopted, then we will repeating the GP2X problems and annoyances once again.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are not having this argument again. There are easily five hundred posts worth of debate on this subject already. Everybody has their personal favorite layout and no one layout is going to please everybody. Craig has decided on the GP2X layout and that's final. If that setup is so abhorant to you, the plastic button caps can be rearranged and the keys remapped in software for maximum feng shui.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back