About Replacement Styli

Elton said:
Hi guys, I am the inventor of the X stylus. Please let me know what you think of it.
Looks like something I would break within a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elton said:
Hi guys, I am the inventor of the X stylus. Please let me know what you think of it.
We are collecting response from Openpandora users, to see if we should develop a model for the machine.

Any comment is appreciated.
I don't have a Pandora yet but I'm always for a good Stylus. :) I have big hands and I guess even the Pandora Stylus (which is longer and thicker than the NDS Stylus) could be bigger for my taste. I've already spotted some nice (metal) Styli that can be expanded, of course they can't get thicker like this X Stylus. I don't know how much more comfortable is the additional thickness but I guess it really can be a benefit.

But this X Stylus indeed looks very fragile. I'm more the person for solid, durable solutions so maybe this system can be made into a nice (partly) Metal Stylus that lasts forever? :)
Add a removable Tip ( easy replacement to different hard/softness for every ones taste) and we are in business I guess. ;)

Hum, seen the pandora stylus is the same size as the DS stylus, there is no need for a new model for the Pandora....

X-Stylus looks as good standard stylus replacement. But for final result I must test it myself. I prefer thick, long and heavy stylus. I waiting for my Pandora to make one from stainless steel with plastic tip. Pandora has relatively big stylus, so metal one could be good enough. I'm afraid that X-Stylus can be too elastic for good solid feeling. Maybe if X-Stylus will have some metal core (whole inner part) and embedded metal rods (springs) (in outer part). But this can rise price too high...
EDIT: Maybe I mistaken about size of NDS and Pandora Styli. Can somebody send actual measurements please? Thank in advance :)

There is a guy in tapland forums that does artistic stylus. Very ergonomic but not to be inside pandora.

thanks for the link man. i just ordered a set. i didn't get a stylus with my Pandora so these will do nicely :) i like that they are metal.

Thanks for all the response. I will reply to you a bit later. In the mean time, do anyone know the dimension of the original Openpandora stylus?

Polossatik said:
Hum, seen the pandora stylus is the same size as the DS stylus, there is no need for a new model for the Pandora....
The Pandora stylus is actually just a little bit bigger than the DS one. A DS stylus apparently fits in the Pandora slot, but the Pandora stylus won't fit in the DS slot. Because it is a little smaller, however, I'm thinking there's a chance either the stylus or the slot will wear away just enough that it doesn't fit anymore, so a Pandora specific one may be worthwhile.
That being said, it would definitely be worth checking if the DS one fits first, or needs only a small adjustment to get it to fit perfectly.
And with that being said, I don't actually think it would be economically viable to make a Pandora specific X Stylus. The market is just too small at the moment. With maybe 20000 total sales eventually (I can wish OPT greater success than that, but this seems like a reasonable number) you may get a couple hundred sales, or so I think. Maybe you can work out a deal with OPT to actually replace their stylus with yours officially.

Elton said:
We are collecting response from Openpandora users, to see if we should develop a model for the machine.

Any comment is appreciated.

I'd change the name - it is impossible to Google because X means how-many-are-in-a-lot

Thank you for everyone who take their time to look at the video, esp to the ones who left us a message.

First of all, thank you for the people to tell us to "just do it", but the problem is we can't as we are poor inventor who doesn't have a big wallet. We need to be careful on the money spending.

@-Tj- what is too expensive for you? what is your acceptable price if the stylus is in metal?

@Caine the stylus won't break in a week, we have tried many different material. In the second video, we are using POM/Polyoxymethylene which is quite flexible and hard to break.

@fusion_power we heard a lot of suggestion about making the stylus with metal, the stylus has two parts, I guess we can making into part metal and part POM for both extra weight and flexibility.

@Xmoon portability is our number 1 goal. We have a lot of choice if the stylus doesn't need to be stored in the body of the machine.

@WizardStan I am not sure if the Openpandor can sell as many as 20000 units. Yes, you are right, I have tried to contact the TEAM several month ago to try to sell my stylus with the machine but I can never get in touch with any of the member, so if any of you who know the TEAM, please introduce me to them. Thanks.

@davidgro X stylus is only an internal name, I guess when we are really manufacturing it, we will think of something better.

Once again, if any of you guys are watching this thread and know any team member of the Openpandor team, please kindly introduce me to them. As a way of promoting the X stylus, I may just agree to make several thousand for the Openpandor and sell them at cost though the TEAM

Really the pandora stylus needs to be removed and inserted quite a few times before it becomes easy to remove/insert you just need to keep using it ,my stylus was in and out about 20 times a day for about 3 days and it bacame perfect.

The issue i had with my second stylus was the tip was very rough but after the paper trick the tip was too flat so kinda pointless ! emm useless so i started using a dslite stylus (much better) but the fit is not so perfect in the pandora as the dslite stylus can be removed mabe too easy.

My old Pandora stylus was great after the paper trick and fitted fine.

I hardly use the stylus. I just use the nubs, its quicker and I can hold my pandora more easily. I find when I use the stylus I have to switch my hands around all the time if I start typing or playing games. (I would use it for scummvm if it didnt have the offset bug)

Bosbeetle said:
I hardly use the stylus. I just use the nubs, its quicker and I can hold my pandora more easily. I find when I use the stylus I have to switch my hands around all the time if I start typing or playing games. (I would use it for scummvm if it didnt have the offset bug)

shame as i had thought i would have used the nubs but both my units had messed up nubs ,was starting to think all pandora nubs were messed up as others have the same problem ,if you can actuly use them then they must be ok.

mawler said:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30582~r.20144190

A NDS Lite Stylus works and fits just fine... The one that came with my Pandora was a pain in the ass to remove so I just ordered these and kept the original as a backup.

Recieved the same, fits quite well and you can easly shove it in while it's still extended (will of course contract) and it will stay in place.

The plastic "top" tip (not the end you use to touch the screen) is a bit wider than the tip of the actual pandora stylus, so if it's in the slot the pandora will "wobble" a bit on a flat surface seen if kinda acts like a little "feet" on the right front corner.
It's only about 1 mm to much, so a shave on a grinder and it's ok.

paddy said:
Bosbeetle said:

shame as i had thought i would have used the nubs but both my units had messed up nubs ,was starting to think all pandora nubs were messed up as others have the same problem ,if you can actuly use them then they must be ok.

Once in a while my nubs are a bit borky but after a restart they are okay again

Azure said:
Mine was also stuck in there pretty good and took *quite* the effort (so much so that I thought I could possibly break it...) to get it out the first couple times. After multiple entries and removals, though, it loosened up quite nice.

That so makes me think of my second girlfriend!!! :lol:

Ok, I'll get my coat.

I must have got a pretty well lubed stylus or something because everyone's suggesting theirs is tight, my only gripe with the Pandora (other than a fault ;p ) was that my stylus could barely stay in the damned thing! ;p

Not that I care, it's a bloody awesome piece of kit :D

X-Stylus looks interesting, guess my only concern would be the weight, I much prefer weighty styli (that must be a word!) to the lighter variety (including the default panda one.)

Elton said:
Once again, if any of you guys are watching this thread and know any team member of the Openpandor team, please kindly introduce me to them. As a way of promoting the X stylus, I may just agree to make several thousand for the Openpandor and sell them at cost though the TEAM
Hard to believe, they are around here every day. PM Craigix or Evil_Dragon and I'm sure they will at least pay attention to you.
If parts of the Pandora can be improved, I guess you will be in Business. :) Do you guys also do complete Cases out of indestructable Plastic? ;)

never mind dirty ports ,the pandora has a dirty secret all of its own "" this is getting perverted now and should be closed before we hear about a pandora wedding :)

fusion_power said:
Elton said:
Hard to believe, they are around here every day. PM Craigix or Evil_Dragon and I'm sure they will at least pay attention to you.
If parts of the Pandora can be improved, I guess you will be in Business. :) Do you guys also do complete Cases out of indestructable Plastic? ;)

Yes, I am surprise I didn't get any reply from all the emails that send directly to them several months ago. May be they thought I am just an trade agent or some Knockoff factory in a small Chinese village which is looking for business by sending spam (I got promotion emails from them all the time)

Do you guys also do complete Cases out of indestructable Plastic?
<<<< what do you mean? protective case likes the one for NDS?

Back