About Replacement Styli

mawler

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30582~r.20144190

A NDS Lite Stylus works and fits just fine... The one that came with my Pandora was a pain in the ass to remove so I just ordered these and kept the original as a backup.

mawler said:
The one that came with my Pandora was a pain in the ass to remove...

Sounds like you are inserting it into the wrong hole. Also, my guess of a stylus pluralisation would be stylii.

Last edited by a moderator:
mawler said:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30582~r.20144190

A NDS Lite Stylus works and fits just fine... The one that came with my Pandora was a pain in the ass to remove so I just ordered these and kept the original as a backup.
Mine was also stuck in there pretty good and took *quite* the effort (so much so that I thought I could possibly break it...) to get it out the first couple times. After multiple entries and removals, though, it loosened up quite nice. It's still not as loose the DS, but it's *nowhere* near as bad as it was in the beginning :blink:

The best stylus I ever used was a self-modified icelolly stick.

Just make it thinner but cutting or snapping in half, then make the end pointed with a pair of scissors. Sand it down if you wish and make the edges lovely and smooth.

Wood: Your touchscreen loves it.

The stylus sticking could have been down to the cases being assembled incorrectly - they did say a few units had this issue

The sharp stylus needing to be sanded down is down to a poor finish

The units sent out without any stylus, well that's down to some muppet

I guess if you find a DS one that works - post it here (where you got it from) so others can get them

Hopefully things should get better

meandu229 said:
lost mine already so good tip cheers
Thought I lost mine, too. Searched everywhere without success. Next morning I found it in my black slippers. The stylus had fallen from the table onto one of them.

So search your slippers! ;)

Hmmm, if the NDS lite stylus fits, I have some extras I can use, including some flexible ones you can wrap around your finger if you want (got em at DX).

TitanUranus said:
mawler said:
The one that came with my Pandora was a pain in the ass to remove...

Sounds like you are inserting it into the wrong hole. Also, my guess of a stylus pluralisation would be stylii.
Nop, just one "i". "us" is masculine singular, "i" is m.pl.

Edit: Latin, isn't it? <.<

Moar Edit: I hate NDS stylus. Too short, too thin, and too thick/rounded/hard tip. It's crap all around like most styli that have to slide into a device are. I can't imagine that I will like the original stylus. It looks like an empty plastic tube with, made form the same stuff, a relatively wide tip. Guess it's time to rebuy that stylus that was stolen from me :(

RajTakhar said:
The stylus sticking could have been down to the cases being assembled incorrectly - they did say a few units had this issue
It's actually just due to the painted finish. After removing and replacing it a few times, it stops happening.

The sharp stylus needing to be sanded down is down to a poor finish
It doesn't need to be sanded down - it's just paint. You just need to "write" with it on a piece of paper to get rid of it.

The units sent out without any stylus, well that's down to some muppet
Though, in fairness, they send replacements out by next-day delivery as soon as you e-mail them.

I guess if you find a DS one that works - post it here (where you got it from) so others can get them
I'll test out the ones I have later. I've got both DS Lite and DSi ones around - extendable metal ones, in some cases.

EDIT: Fixed a broken quote tag.

Azure said:
Mine was also stuck in there pretty good and took *quite* the effort (so much so that I thought I could possibly break it...) to get it out the first couple times. After multiple entries and removals, though, it loosened up quite nice.

... Freud.

The best stylus I ever used was a hybrid one I made.

I used a pen again (ergonomic highlighter)http://www.penagain.com/

I opened the thing up... pulled the highlighter out. Next I had to cut a Nintendo DS stylus in half poke it through the hole and hot glue it down inside so it didn't move.

Save me from getting arthritis while playing metroid on the DS.

When I used to carry a Palm device, and later a Sharp Zaurus, I tried a bunch of different pen-sized stylus & stylus combo devices. My absolute favorite for price / feel / features was the Sanford (now Papermate) PhD Multi. Now days, you can still find them in stores, but usually with two pens, no stylus. :-(

It has a good, full-size eraser, a comfortable grip, and upscale looks. My only complaint was that after a year or two, the rubber grip would deteriorate. Thankfully I found some dollar store pens with a match for the grip that I harvested. While carrying an OQO, I stopped carrying this, as the OQO has a Wacom screen and needed an active stylus. I'm looking forward to my Pandora, and will start carrying my PhD Multi again as soon as I get it. Here's a pic:

4733413297_605dffd406.jpg

For those who had the "stuck" stylus, which is very very difficult to remove, I'd be willing to bet your stylus guide was installed incorrectly.
If you look at my video showing repair of the front case barb which holds the lower case halves together, you'll see what I mean.
At about 3:41 into the video, you'll see that I put the stylus guide on the wrong side of a locating pin in the lower case.
I then pull it over the pin.

However, it would be possible to assemble the stylus guide in the wrong position, making the guide bent, and causing the stylus to bind.

Video link:
http://www.youtube.com/user/jdotpickens#p/a/u/0/Gj0-sdQQ14I

Hi guys, I am the inventor of the X stylus. Please let me know what you think of it.
We are collecting response from Openpandora users, to see if we should develop a model for the machine.

Any comment is appreciated.

xstylus_animation.gif

video 1

video 2

@Elton: YES PLEASE! :D (as long as it doesn't cost too too much...)

Back