A (very very very) small complaint about the Pyra design.

Aether Lion

Staff member
Halfway Between Hell and Purgatory, Pennsylvania
let me preface this by saying that I'm a super big supporter of EvilDragon, OpenPandora, and Pyra! (I mean I became a staff member for that reason.) I mean the whole community here is something that is applause-worthy and deserves WAY more attention than its already high volume! <3
One strong factor the OpenPandora has is it's amazing build quality!
Although, I see one small issue with the Pyra.

That's the hinge. (refer to the picture that you see all the time)

Call me picky, but the hinge only takes up 1/3 of the base. I feel like it may be prone to snapping off or something of the sort much easier than the OpenPandora or a 3DS, for example. I mean this may have been accounted for but it's just a small nit-pick I have. :) Other than that the whole system seems like an all-around party-pleaser! :)

Doubtful. The plastic being used is polycarbonate, it's basically indestructible. The Pyra will be damn near bullet proof! (It won't be bullet proof at all. Do not attempt to stop bullets with your Pyra)

52f15201b85aa.jpg

Doubtful. The plastic being used is polycarbonate, it's basically indestructible. The Pyra will be damn near bullet proof! (It won't be bullet proof at all. Do not attempt to stop bullets with your Pyra)

Solid polycarbonate starts becoming 'bullet resistant' to small calibers at around 50mm thicknesses. The net thickness of the layers of polycarbonate in the pyra -might- approach 4mm. Now if you stacked a dozen or so Pyras...

Does someone want send me a dozen non-working fully assembled Pyras and a high speed camera?

Solid polycarbonate starts becoming 'bullet resistant' to small calibers at around 50mm thicknesses. The net thickness of the layers of polycarbonate in the pyra -might- approach 4mm. Now if you stacked a dozen or so Pyras...

Does someone want send me a dozen non-working fully assembled Pyras and a high speed camera?
I can already see people wearing/carrying their Pyra in a breast pocket resulting in headlines like Pyra saved my life (from a stray bullet).

Looks pretty close to the Pandora hinge area to me, and I haven't had any problems with that. Better plastic this time, too.

Good point. It is almost like ED wants us to sell most of our worldly possessions to buy Pyras. I guess he doesn't care how we get the money, after we are hooked and coming here regularly for our fix (he just doesn't want to see our naked nerd torsos).

Hinge area may be shorter on the outside, but that doesn't mean that the load bearing internals on the far ends are less durable or subject to more strain. Lookin only at the outer part - smaller dimensions should make the material more durable anyway because there's less potential leverage.

... and protected himself with not adding a cam to the pyra, verry smart!
I figure all his talk about trying to respect our privacy is just to throw us off, but he wants us to trust him first. The camera versions will probably come later once he can be sure he has the rich people and the "cool" young crowd, like Apple. That is when he will start working closer with Google, Facebook, and Microsoft.

Reactions: rSl
I figure all his talk about trying to respect our privacy is just to throw us off, but he wants us to trust him first. The camera versions will probably come later once he can be sure he has the rich people and the "cool" young crowd, like Apple. That is when he will start working closer with Google, Facebook, and Microsoft.
Or the camera is already well hidden inside the speakers. :X

Back