Pyra hinge design.

gabriel

Still Fresh
I was wondering whether there is any prospect that the Pyra will be able to be used in something that might be called "tablet-mode"; by which I only mean a configuration in which the screen is buttressed (by the body of the device) so that one can use the stylus on it without fearing that the hinge will break.

Has it been decided that the case will have the Pandora-like clam-shell shape? Or is it still possible that it will have a hinge which will allow the screen to rotate, swivel, slide, fold-back, or some such.

I realize that many in the community have strong views about the shape of the case, but (assuming it is practical) using a hinge which would allow the screen to, say, swivel, I think would give the Pyra extra possibilities while keeping the "feel" of the Pandora for those who prefer it.

In short:

if you have a design that

• isn't likely to get Ed into legal trouble (patents)
  • is very robust
  • is cheap to design: OP GmbH is no Lenovo, Fujitsu, etc. with a big engenieering department and can't afford lengthy design processes
  • is cheap to produce
  • is cheap to support
you might find an open ear, otherwise clamshell it is (and I would like a design like the Lenovo yoga too)

Everything is patented. You can use the original as long as you don't copy your own version of this, so no problems there. 360° Hinge will not happen, to compley for such an small device and it's usualy a very fragile construction. I would prefer a simple but durable hinge, not such an wobble thing like the Pandora had. More metal parts in the hinge area should make this better for the Pyra. Some Laptops have this:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_migrated/pics/Gehaeuse2Scharniere_02.jpg

360° Hinge will not happen, to compley for such an small device and it's usualy a very fragile construction
I was going to say that, I have seen portable dictionaries in Japan with such features and while it works, it IS fragile and i don't think it makes lots of sense for something you want to keep for a long time.

I was wondering whether there is any prospect that the Pyra will be able to be used in something that might be called "tablet-mode"; by which I only mean a configuration in which the screen is buttressed (by the body of the device) so that one can use the stylus on it without fearing that the hinge will break.
Conquer your fears. That's the easiest solution I see. I have no trouble with the Pandora hinge. Sure, it could definitely be improved to feel better, (and maybe not chomp LCD cables for breakfast) but it's not likely to break from standard use.

-God Ginrai

I don't care for any special Stuff like turn or flipable Displays. I'm just interested in a standard Clamshell Device like the Pandora, but this Time with a solid and durable hinge. 

I would like a couple screen supporting thumbs protruding from the back to catch the screen when you open it, supporting the screen to prevent as much of a twist-pull stress when it is opened firmly.  These could also snag on pockets and stuff though, that only wouldn't bother me because I wouldn't mind that as much as a less supported hinge.  I don't like when it isn't absolutely certain and set which angle is fully open, and it feels like you're expected to stress it at least a little bit.

A simple, strong metal hinge with multiple (three, perhaps?) "locking" points, would make me more than happy. Putting fancy features in an area that needs to be robust and reliable for hundreds and thousands of cycles is asking for trouble  :p

what about a small sealed pneumatic cylinder, wrapped with a small software controlled heating element. you could software control the temperature and have a reset angle for when you opened the lid and different profiles for different applications  ;)   . there are of course a few small engineering issues such as variable temperatures, cylinder cool down times and unnecessary complexity but I think it would be the best option :p .

what about a small sealed pneumatic cylinder, wrapped with a small software controlled heating element. you could software control the temperature and have a reset angle for when you opened the lid and different profiles for different applications  ;)   . there are of course a few small engineering issues such as variable temperatures, cylinder cool down times and unnecessary complexity but I think it would be the best option :p .
Isn't a heating element going to have some costs associated with it as far as battery life goes?  Would it be worth it?  Maybe there are some regenerative cooling technologies we could tap into to reduce the energy expenditure associated with the heating element. 

Just my two cents.  I'm not an expert on these things.

Isn't a heating element going to have some costs associated with it as far as battery life goes?  Would it be worth it?  Maybe there are some regenerative cooling technologies we could tap into to reduce the energy expenditure associated with the heating element. 

Just my two cents.  I'm not an expert on these things.
I'm preeeety sure it was a joke.

I think it'd be more sensible and perhaps stronger to have an outer-mounted LCD with a slide-up option for the keyboard, more akin to classic Smartphones like the HTC Evo Shift 4G, HTC Touch Pro 2 or perhaps the PSP GO/Sony Xperia Phone. The slides with metal tracks would be a lot more suitable to heavier use and allow the device to be 'closed' for a more tablet-esque operation. The only question would be the strength of the ribbon cable for the LCD, then.

I think it'd be more sensible and perhaps stronger to have an outer-mounted LCD with a slide-up option for the keyboard, more akin to classic Smartphones like the HTC Evo Shift 4G, HTC Touch Pro 2 or perhaps the PSP GO/Sony Xperia Phone. The slides with metal tracks would be a lot more suitable to heavier use and allow the device to be 'closed' for a more tablet-esque operation. The only question would be the strength of the ribbon cable for the LCD, then.
Honestly, that's not sensible at all. Not only would the controls have to be inset into the base to prevent them from catching on the screen, but the screen would have no protection whatsoever.

-God Ginrai

Back