A Simple Idea For Case Colors...

closer013

Still Fresh
Anyway of making color shells purchasable down the road? I'd buy one! And there's interest for them for other systems: example. If the devs have time to create them I think they could really profit from the idea, and as long as it'd be an easy swap I'm pretty sure many would be interested.

closer013 said:
And there's interest for them for other systems: example.
They're complete case replacements though. You could just as easily dismantle your Pandora and get it sprayed. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:
They're complete case replacements though. You could just as easily dismantle your Pandora and get it sprayed. ;)

Spray painting isn't really the kind of thing computer nerds or gamer geeks are likely to know how to do properly though. On the other hand buying a replacement shell online is incredibly easy, and would likely be a much better quality finish, more durable, and could have a different colour for the buttons/keys too. :p

Zarneth said:
Gruso said:

Spray painting isn't really the kind of thing computer nerds or gamer geeks are likely to know how to do properly though.
Quick guide:
  1. remove case
  2. place case on newspaper
  3. hold spray can around 30cm from case
  4. spray
  5. wait to dry
  6. reassemble
Please note I have never spraypainted a computer chassis before and I accept no responsibility for any damage done to you pandora!

Spray painting a black case to white isn't quite the same as having a factory-made white case with a glossy finish.

I don't think that it is essential, but it would be kind of nice to have this as an option, perhaps not for the first release, but later on.

Pleng said:
Zarneth said:
Gruso said:

Spray painting isn't really the kind of thing computer nerds or gamer geeks are likely to know how to do properly though.
Quick guide:
  1. remove case
  2. place case on newspaper
  3. hold spray can around 30cm from case
  4. spray
  5. wait to dry
  6. reassemble
Please note I have never spraypainted a computer chassis before and I accept no responsibility for any damage done to you pandora!

And watch the paint peel off after a few days or a week.

If the case glossy as I hear it's going to be, all surfaces that are going to be painted will need to be keyed first (sanding to score the surface) then a Primer coat done, especialy if your going for a light colour then your first colour coat leave to dry, sand it back, clean it and apply the top coat for a nice finish.

No point doing it unless your going to do it properly.

I have sprayed a computer case (the plastic parts) and it really isn't that hard. Really. The key is to do several light coats instead of one heavy one. I did 3 layers of paint (2 different colors) and one clearcoat when I did my tower. it went form this:
11-125-446-11.JPG

To this:
towerce6.jpg

Only, try to imagine it without all the dust and taken with a decent camera.

I would like to see alternate color cases, but I'm not sure that they can make them cheap enough in the (miniscule) quantities they would need. Painting is a perfectly viable alternative.

Be careful spraying it, the paint might add a bit of thickness to the case and when you put it back together things might not fit perfectly.

Would painting a handheld device really work out though?

A computer case is one thing. But a handheld... where the moisture of human skin is always touching it - wouldn't that corrode the paint and look bad pretty fast?

I'd love to spraypaint my Pandora in a different color, especially if it's going to be matte instead of shiny black. Dull black is just really ugly, and overused on top of that.
However, that would probably limit me to a non-shiny finish in a solid color (unless I got creative with the paint and made a pattern), so I would consider buying a replacement case for my Pandora, if they came in a cool style.

On the topic of spray painting though... I'm afraid to do it. Isn't it easy to break your circuitboard if you take it out? And it seems like it would be really hard to replace all the little switches and components in their proper places after painting. And what if the paint flakes off inside and starts getting *IN* the chips and stuff?

Huh, maybe I'll practice with a cheap joypad I have =] But if it's not too intrusive to this topic, I'd appreciate advice on painting a case and dismantling electronics, including first-time horror stories and don't-dos.

I think a replacement high-end case would be nice.. something like brushed metal. Although, I'd imagin the logistics behind it aren't simply done. Unlike the Pandora, craig and co have ZERO guarantee a different case would sell.

Maybe a special edition / leet edition/ hackers edition Pandora is in line in the future? Lets just hurry up and get it in pink already. :lol:

If the case cad files are opened, people could make a business out of making special cases.

Is the case going to be matte black, like the MK0s, or is it going to be shiny? That makes a big difference. If it's shiny, it's hard and unessassary to paint. If it's matte, well, then we'll talk about painting it. It's completely doable, but I think it wouldn't look nearly as good as a real glossy finish.

Back