Case Color

Alpha2 said:
Black is a default color, it goes with everything. You cant guarantee another color will sell as well when you have to sell every unit just to break even. If they were a massive company like Nintendo or Sony they could run off a bunch of colors and not care if they all sold as well because there's certain to be some random soccer mom that would buy "aqua" for someone that actually wanted "ice blue".
I'm starting to wonder why so many are misreading me ... as far my not guaranteeing that another color would sell so well, I went way out of my way to both say that it *wouldn't* be all the units made, and also a workable way to let people *ask* for a translucent, with no tint, allowing those who chose to, to apply their own paint. The default would (as I stated) remain black, so if you missed the offer, you would just get what you expected to get. I did state that the one thing required would be for someone to know if either oil based paint, or maybe acrylic, because if this is offered (if the other things I ask all turn out possible) then there's certainly gonna need to be a printed disclaimer (you paint it and screw it up, too damn bad). That's the main reason I assumed that one ONE thousand would likely get chosen.

This means that either a black, or a choose your own self applied paint, would be offered, NOT 31 flavors, either. The best base color for a paint-ur-own would be white translucent, right? You DON'T get a choice of maybe strawberry red (unless you paint it yourself), do you see this? Black would only allow a far smaller range of colors.

This was all said in my original post, but I think I must have done an extremely bad job of it (that's not self-sarcasm).

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I like the translucent one I saw in the videos better than the black ones. Black is a little boring to me. Definitely not a deal breaker though, or any color for that mater. I would still buy one if it was bright pink or if beige with polka dots.

chuckr said:
I'm starting to wonder why so many are misreading me
Because it's fun. We've been here longer than you and had this conversation many many times. There's nothing you could possibly say on the subject that hasn't already been said before you got here, so we have no choice but to say things that have only passing interest in the subject, if even that much. Best we can do is quote back what has been said over the past 12 months, and at worst make some strange noises with our mouths that go somewhere along the lines of "Bingle Bongle, Dingle Dangle, Yikkity Doo, Yikkity Da, Ping Pong Lippy Tappy Too Taa"

I say that because the 2nd edition cases will have been black and in storage for about 7 months before they'll be sold as pandoras. Changing colors would almost certainly mean stopping, removing the mold and cleaning everything up completely spotless and free from contamination. Since the heat is the biggest part of the cost one might even assume they'd work three shifts rather than cool down and heat it all up again. 10k is the minimum order in any color as I recall. That translucent one in the video was not injection molded. What's wrong with black anyway?

Sphinxter said:
Changing colors would almost certainly mean stopping, removing the mold and cleaning everything up completely spotless and free from contamination. Since the heat is the biggest part of the cost one might even assume they'd work three shifts rather than cool down and heat it all up again. 10k is the minimum order in any color as I recall.
This is correct. With few exceptions (the 2 week Chinese new year being one), once production starts, it does not stop. The plastic itself hardly costs anything, but setting up the machinery and getting it up and running is costly and time consuming. Tons of material and energy is spent getting everything up to temperature and speed. That's why they have such a high minimum order quantity.

It is not feasible to do a full 10k order of any color other than black unless the Pandora becomes quite popular. If you want something different, I suggest you look into paint and dye options.

chuckr said:
Well, first, regarding spxinster & mali's replies, maybe I'm being dense, (that's sure possible) but it seems that neither is replying to anything I wrote. Even if it ended up being sarcastic towards me, I'd kinda like to know what sentence of mine they were replying to. Honest!
I'm sorry, I didn't want to offend :)
The first colour-threads popped up in 2008 and they all ended the same. Any colour as long as it's black <insert song here> ;)
_If_ there is a _large_ amount of people who find black digusting and would instantly buy a Pandora in a different colour(which has to be the same for all of that large amount of people, obviously), then it would make sense. If there are no such people, it just represents additional costs.

Knowledge from somebody doing with plastic needed. If colour can be swapped just by changing material without stopping machines then it will be easy. Few cases be discoloured and thrown away. If this is true then there can be something as 2000 red run. If not, then it is all about money that can be invested in stocking bunch of coloured cases that will be slowly sold.

peca said:
Knowledge from somebody doing with plastic needed. If colour can be swapped just by changing material without stopping machines then it will be easy. Few cases be discoloured and thrown away. If this is true then there can be something as 2000 red run. If not, then it is all about money that can be invested in stocking bunch of coloured cases that will be slowly sold.
No, that would take forever. They would have to hose out the material left in the screw completely, put in white that is premixed with colour granulate or put the colour granulate in the colour funnel and adjust the mix. Then they have to hose out till only the right coloured plastic comes out.

I want my Pandora case coated with a Wajima-nuri lacquer. I demand that the OP-team orders one just for me. ;)

Back