A question for those that had Pandoras and have their Pyras now

I had the issue somethime that some buttons ditnt work sometimes, but after reboot they worked on Pandora..
And the "Display Backlight Controll not working Issue" which disapeared a few weeks befor i trop the Pandora by incidend from my Desk (then i had the issue that the right shoulderbutton stopped working, but this was to expect as i bend the trigger on the Board..

Also a advantage of the Pyra: The Shoulderbuttons are made a bit different: allthough still a plastic button on a hinge pushing on a survace mount trigger, but this time whit a plastic to stopp it bevor it could break the trigger, and its got a spring ..

Also on Pandora, the Shoulderbuttons had a Foampad which could make issues when its lost its location , when i got my Pandora, the right shoulderbutton also ditnt work because of this, until i opened it, (it was the first time i opened such a Handheld, but i had Surprise Egg and Lego Experience bevor), and fixed it myself.. ^^

Hi all,

My main issue with the touchscreen is that it seems to be "floating above" the actual screen.

There is some travel distance between the moment when the stylus touches the outer layer of the touchscreen and the moment when, pushing down, it reaches the screen beneath.

As a result the touchscreen is highly imprecise. I can hardly make a rectangular selection on the desktop for example.

The touchscreen also feels "grainy", for lack of a better word.

Cheers, Magic Sam

I haven't used the touchscreen either.
Can other users share this impressionen of an imprecise touchscreen?

Btw, I skipped the calibration process. How can I run the calibration tool manually?

I also ditnt used my Touchscreen that much, only for some GIMP Tests, and to make the Window bigger in PCSX Rearmed (Allmost Fullscreen).. worked good for these Tasks, but i had somethimes the issue that the Pyra shut down when i pushed the Stylus too hard in the Stylus Holder because i think my Batterie Padding isnt that good yet ^^
I used my Nubs even in Drastic...

I think it's personal, the Pandora keys are a bit more stiff and give a good tactile feedback. Though it was a bit getting used to, they are decent to thumb type with.
The Pyra keys are a lot smaller and less stiff, also they wobble a bit.

Actually, the reason that the keyboard doesn't have that good tactile feedback is due to that the original designer of the mould forgot to add the PCB supporting pegs inside the case (which sadly can't be easily added) combined with that we didn't know exactly what exact type of plastic they used (we know the type plastic but there are fine differences here as well).
This resulted to a too tight case which means that the keymat is cramped a bit. it's also the reason I need to file down the areas of the nubs as they otherwise get stuck.

Both should be fixed with the next batch of cases, as we've tried out different types of plastics and seem to have found the correct one now.

This is the reason why everyone who tried the keymat in the sample case that traveled around earth loved it and praised the tactile feedback.

Both should be fixed with the next batch of cases, as we've tried out different types of plastics and seem to have found the correct one now.

This is the reason why everyone who tried the keymat in the sample case that traveled around earth loved it and praised the tactile feedback
That makes sense, and is good news for us second-batchers.

However, I guess this refinement process (of the molds - supporting pegs, etc) could also take a long time (i.e. months, rather than days or weeks) to resolve..?

The Downsides when you was too fast ..
Allthough im still fine whit the Keyboard, i just wouldnd want to write a Lord of the Rings Sizes Fantasy Epos on it.., allthough i would be happy when Georg RR Martin would have a Pyra and writes the rest of the Song of Ice an Fire on it ^^ (I dont want the GOT Ending in the Real Books)..

That makes sense, and is good news for us second-batchers.

However, I guess this refinement process (of the molds - supporting pegs, etc) could also take a long time (i.e. months, rather than days or weeks) to resolve..?

Well it requires all currently available cases to use used up before ED hits the button and orders more using the right design using the right plastics. Hopefuly the design will come out perfect the first time, as it sounds like we were more or less there for the keymat demonstrater, but I wouldn't personally expect almost anything in this project to be perfect first time if you ask me.

Well it requires all currently available cases to use used up before ED hits the button and orders more using the right design using the right plastics. Hopefuly the design will come out perfect the first time, as it sounds like we were more or less there for the keymat demonstrater, but I wouldn't personally expect almost anything in this project to be perfect first time if you ask me.
I wonder if upgrade cases will be available down the line...

Reactions: rSl
The new plastics have already been tested and work, the only change that is currently being implemented is a new mechanism for the battery cover. I should receive samples of those within the next few weeks.

And yes, we will offer upgrade cases and maybe free new backsides with the new battery cover for early adopters :)

I'll make a video once these parts have arrived.

we don't have that many first batch cases left, actually :)

New Backsides whit Batterie Compartments where the Unit ditnt shut down when you don’t carefully stick the Stylus back in sounds great ^^
I wonder: is this part as easy Changeble as on the Pandora?
Then I think I would be good enough to change it myself.. but this time whiteout troping the Unit from Desk ..

The new plastics have already been tested and work, the only change that is currently being implemented is a new mechanism for the battery cover. I should receive samples of those within the next few weeks.

And yes, we will offer upgrade cases and maybe free new backsides with the new battery cover for early adopters :)

Can't wait for new updates! And cases! And pyras! And videos! And stuff! is there any singing emoji? Just imagine, that i'm singing
Post automatically merged:

Can't wait for new updates! And cases! And pyras! And videos! And stuff! is there any singing emoji? Just imagine, that i'm singing

Cool, so if i would make a Video where i change the Part, this might not be my last Pyra Video ^^
Ok i opened up my Pandora severall times whitout any incident, the Pyra might be similar, expect that i have to take care on 4 Spring Loaded Shoulderbutton Triggers, and the Heatsink.. and also the Sticker in the Batterie Compartment as this is important because of the Serial Number and the IMAI..

Maybe a Video from the Official Pyra Company where much better which shows how to make it properly, i dont know how good i can screw around when i have puplicity ^^

Are these new Bottomparts also a bit thinner?

Are these new Bottomparts also a bit thinner?
You mean are they any shorter or less deep. Thinner suggests to me thin plastics, rather than the overall shape. I wouldn't anticipate any refinements in that area just yet, because it'll require a pretty much new mould, while adding supports to the mould is just a matter of drilling out some holes in the case bottom upper mould. But maybe I'm being overly pessimistic, and I'll get a nice surprise.

It was meant as the Linux on the Pandora was as a bit cut in shape, as whe had only 256 mb internal space , so whe could use the Repo, but not in that shape like on the Pyra ..
most of the work software on the Pandora where ported as pnd File like the Games, same as the Browser etc
On Pyra you can use the whole Debian ARM HF Repo via Synaptic, so even if nobody ported par exemple Libre Office to the Pyra, you can just take it from the Repo..

Disclaimer: I dont have that much Linux Knowhledge, just a bit experience whit Ubuntu, Pandora Angstrom, and Pyra Debian..
The Pandora Linux had to get made quite small to fit in the few 100 mb of the Pandora NAND, so it came whit some basics, and this was it..
the Pyra got 32 gb, so you can install stuff from the Pyra Debian Repo as long as its fits the Hardware Specs, so you dont have to wait until someone makes a Libre Office PND Like on the Pandora, you can go to the Synaptic or the Terminal and install the Libre Office from there..
You could even use the Games from the Repo when you bind them to OpenGL via Terminal, or you can wait until someone ports it for the Pyra as DBP File whit build in OpenGL Support..

Not every game needs OpenGL Support, i have par exemple the Gnome Game Packet from the Pyra Repo which contains stuff like Solitär, Minesweeper etc you also know from a Windows Desktop and they run just normal..
Hi matzesu, "You could even use the Games from the Repo when you bind them to OpenGL via Terminal"
Whatever that means? Dynamic linking or something like that?

Back