Use X-Stylus Crayon as the Pyras stylus?

leathco

This may seem a minor thing, but the only other discussion I have seen on a stylus has been a headset that doubles as a stylus.  It seems to me something like that would cause a large increase in the cost of a Pyra, and should be an optional accessory.

For a basic built in stylus, a lot of Pandora users have already switched their stylus over to the X-Stylus Crayon.  It's a unique stylus that folds out, and when it folds out it also bulges out the middle to become the size of a standard pen or pencil.  I think it's really comfortable, although it took me a bit to get used to, now I don't use anything else on my Pandora.  I got a couple from Ithic.com awhile back and think they are a fantastic replacement for the (perfectly fine) one that comes stock with Pandora.

So, why not throw one in to the Pyra while it's still in the design stages?  It's already a proven design but also offers something that's not commonly seen in most styluses (stylii?) 

Could pricing be a problem ?

Ed sells them for 10€, probably with a lot of "overhead" (like low quantity pricing, profit margin, shop margin, taxes), but what would be the price to include it into the Pyra package 5€, or less ?

I'd prefer a thicker version of the old stylus with an inbuild screwdriver,

but would choose the cheaper solution, which may not neccessarily be the X-Stylus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered a Pair X-Stylie on Dragonbox some time Ago, and got 2 for about 10 €, so not that expensive..

also i think for the Price, the Pyra will have, this isnt a big thing., but i think, whe should made the Pyra Stylus Slot, fit the X-Stylus, as on the Pandora, it fits also, but its not that perfekt..

And a normal Stylus, should be moldet whit the Case, for peaply, who ditnt want an X.Stylus..

Could pricing be a problem ?

Ed sells them for 10€, probably with a lot of "overhead" (like low quantity pricing, profit margin, shop margin, taxes), but what would be the price to include it into the Pyra package 5€, or less ?
It's 10 EUR for a twin set, or 6 EUR when you buy it together with a Pandora. So that is 3 EUR per piece (probably not much margin left in the package deal, but the raw cost should still be less than that). I don't think it's significantly more expensive than the normal stylus (he sells those for 2.52 EUR).

I backed the XStylus kickstarter when it first got linked here (or maybe the other site, I forget), then the Indiegogo campaign when the kickstarter campaign didn't get fulfilled. I thought it was a great idea well worth supporting.

Unfortunately in practice I find them a bit fiddly, and prefer the Pandora's longer and more solid stylus. I used them in my DS and 3DS for a while, but eventually the plastic fatigued and broke. I switched that one out for one that had remained in the packet, but that one broke almost immediately, so I'm not sure if the plastic in that one became brittle in the packet. I've not yet tried any more from the 5x packet I got from that campaign until I've tried repairing and reinforcing the ones I've already broken.

In short, I worry that their inherent fragility could backfire on ED if sold as part of a many hundred euro device.

Hmm, so far neither of mine have broken yet, although I don't use my stylus all the time.

I don't think it's a good idea if they tend to break, rather go for a rock solid, normal stylus.

Just make sure it's of better quality this time, no edges which scratch the screen. Maybe even made of some metal to make them even nicer?

I ordered the x-stylii too.

It did dissapoint me to find out that fold out the length was barely longer that the Pandora's stylus.

Man, the person has another one called XStylus Touch+, but that price.   :wacko:  

I want this too, but I wouldn't mind a long steady stylus, if it can fit.

Yeah, the x-stylus is a significant length upgrade over the standard DS-lite one, and it lets you hold the stylus naturally and still rest the end of it against the side of your knuckles, as you would a pen or pencil. With the Pandora's extra space a much longer x-stylus could have been designed, but it'd only be usable with the Pandora (and maybe one of the XLed Nintendos), so it's understandable that didn't happen, especially given there were so few Pandoras out in the wild when the X-stylus came out.

Like I say, if they weren't so prone to breaking when I use them, I'd be all for using them. The way you have to orient them to hold them correctly takes a bit of getting used to, but so long as you hold it there the extra width does give you better, or at least more natural, control.

Originally, I really liked the X-Stylus, but it seems to have a bit of a durability issues. I've already broken most of mine from when the stylus first released (including a special edition clear one) within two months and now keep my last one stored away to avoid potentially breaking it as well. They seem to break if I don't open them carefully enough. Anyway, they're good styli, but I don't think they'd be a good choice as a pack-in for the Pyra due to their low durability.

Man, the person has another one called XStylus Touch+, but that price.   :wacko:

I want this too, but I wouldn't mind a long steady stylus, if it can fit.
The price they have for the Touch now is pretty damned nice in my opinion. It was originally going for $40-50 when first released. I can say that the Touch stylus is a pretty premium feeling product, mostly due to that steel core, and works quite well. I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 if I want to draw on the go nowadays, but I still use this stylus on my phone every now and then. Probably the best thing about it is that the nib is very responsive and pretty small, so it doesn't get in the way that much.

But of course, for the Pandora and the Pyra, the XStylus Touch+ is pretty useless.

Frankly, I would rather have a metal stylus similar to the Sculpted Stylus that I have for my Tapwave Zodiac.  Give it a bit of heft and replaceable tips.

Of course I paid something like $40 for one stylus back in those days.

This is going to sound odd but one of the best stylus I had came from a device I bought at a boot sale. A 1998 palm pilot. That stylus was a milled solid steel thing with both ends threaded. The tip and the end not had the same threads so it must've been a breeze to manufacture but damn did that thing feel great. Nice and solid, a freaking dream to use... I wonder if it would fit in the Pandora.. hmmmm

Sent from my Z665C using Tapatalk

I rather liked the triangular stylus used on some of the old Psions, which works in a similar idea to the standard six-sided pencil. Although it was a little skinny, as the sides effectively cut into the the standard cylindrical stylus in terms of storage space needed (actually, you can fit a slightly larger triangular stylus in a rectangular space than it's circumscribed circle would suggest, but it would still feel thinner), so perhaps six-sided would be neatest.

Sorry to resurrect this thread.

I have been thinking about this a lot over the last few weeks and I think an XStylus might be a good idea, especially if a special Pyra/Pandora version can be made that is about the size of the Pandora stylus when closed.  Durability might be an issue, but I am rough with mine and the first one I am using is still going strong.  Sometimes I open and close it repeatedly.  If we could get something that is metal, like the Touch+, I would love the extra width and weight.

If durability truly is an issue then something similar to the stylus mentioned below, but in the dimensions of the Pandora stylus, would be acceptable, and have a high quality feel to it.  I seem to remember some of these styli having a tool, maybe a screwdriver, in the back (I just checked, and I was thinking of the Handspring Visor stylus).

This is going to sound odd but one of the best stylus I had came from a device I bought at a boot sale. A 1998 palm pilot. That stylus was a milled solid steel thing with both ends threaded. The tip and the end not had the same threads so it must've been a breeze to manufacture but damn did that thing feel great. Nice and solid, a freaking dream to use... I wonder if it would fit in the Pandora.. hmmmm

Sent from my Z665C using Tapatalk

I used a lot the x-stylus, but I can't use it for too much time because it hurts my fingers (I tend to grab it with too much force sometimes), and I have to extend it everytime I extract it from the pandora, and most of the time I'm always inserting and extracting it when I have to write a lot...

so I like the most the standard one, even if it's not so long it's so convenient to grab and put it in it's slot

Back