Use X-Stylus Crayon as the Pyras stylus?

I bought the X-stylus but was dissapointed that when extended it's barely larger than the pandora stylus.
This is why I would love one that is the size of the Pandora stylus when closed but pops open to be a bit longer and wider.

I bought the X-stylus but was dissapointed that when extended it's barely larger than the pandora stylus.
Yes, it's not really larger or more ergonomic than the default Pandora stylus. Its main advantage is being more compact and light-weight, but those couple of grams do not really make much of a difference anyway. And since you have to 'assemble' it each time you take it out, it's a bit less practical than the default stylus.

I don't really see anything wrong with the Pandora stylus as it is. The coat of paint wears off after some use, which makes it look a bit cheap, so maybe it's better to not paint it at all, or have it colored all the way through (the same holds for the case).

Or metal, like a few of us mentioned.  The little bit of extra weight shouldn't hurt, but it could make it feel more serious.

Or metal, like a few of us mentioned.  The little bit of extra weight shouldn't hurt, but it could make it feel more serious.
I don't really like the cold touch of metal, and it would need to have a carefully rounded tip to avoid scratching the screen.

I don't really like the cold touch of metal, and it would need to have a carefully rounded tip to avoid scratching the screen.
Would get warm pretty fast I'd expect, when you use it for a few minutes.But I agree on the tip, it would need to be absolutely perfect. So it's probably not practical.

Maybe even made of some metal to make them even nicer?

Would get warm pretty fast I'd expect, when you use it for a few minutes.
But I agree on the tip, it would need to be absolutely perfect. So it's probably not practical.
_wb_, also if you keep it in a pocket, for example, a metal stylus might be warm when you go to use it.  All of the stuff I keep in my pockets, metal included, stays warm unless I am wet or it is really fucking cold, at which point I don't think I would have my bare hands out anyway.

T4b, you would like them but think it isn't likely?  Is the same mold from last time going to be used?  What if ED used a cheaper (I don't know how much molds and manufacturing cost) metal stylus that is already being manufactured, instead of making them specifically for the Pyra?

Also,

Metal shaft but non-metal tip...
I don't know why anyone would do it any other way than a plastic tip, because even with a perfectly smooth tip a metal tip  might be a problem if there is even the slightest bit of rough substance on either the screen or the stylus tip since hard metal is going to be less flexible.  I could be way off, and that won't matter, or metal may be better than a plastic tip because the hardness pushes the dust or whatever away instead of allowing it to grab like the plastic.  

I think there might be a higher risk of damage to the touchscreen (either part) due to users being too rough when stabbing at it with a piece of (perfectly smoothed) metal.

Even less practical. Assembling two parts when you can produce it as one part is seldom worth it.
Unless the price per unit is lower than the cost per unit for those made of plastic, plus the cost of design, plus the new mold, plus smoothing the tips or whatever else.  Also, a case opening tool in the back would be cool, especially if non-phillips screws are used (or even with phillips).  Oh, and you could replace the tips for whatever reason, or add another tool.  Plus they are just nice, and look and feel good to many people.

Even less practical. Assembling two parts when you can produce it as one part is seldom worth it.
Unless the price per unit is lower than the cost per unit for those made of plastic, plus the cost of design, plus the new mold, plus smoothing the tips or whatever else.  Also, a case opening tool in the back would be cool, especially if non-phillips screws are used (or even with phillips).  Oh, and you could replace the tips for whatever reason, or add another tool.  Plus they are just nice, and look and feel good to many people.
I used a palm pilot with a keyboard attachment for note taking through university. It had a metal stylus with plastic ends. The back end screwed off to reveal a pin for hitting the Palm's reset button. The Palm pilot has long since died a noble death but I still have the stylus as it was one of the best I've ever used.

I used a palm pilot with a keyboard attachment for note taking through university. It had a metal stylus with plastic ends. The back end screwed off to reveal a pin for hitting the Palm's reset button. The Palm pilot has long since died a noble death but I still have the stylus as it was one of the best I've ever used.
I didn't want to say it would be bad, just that it would probably drive cost up more than a metal only stylus with a perfectly smooth tip.
Edit: rygD: Yes, I don't think it's likely at all to happen, unless there is already a cheap stylus of that type available in the necessary numbers (with a guarantee of staying available) which just /happens/ to have exactly the right dimensions.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be a good idea if the Pyra comes with a better stylus, because the Pandora stylus leaves horrible scratches in the screen. If the current one had a soft tip, it would be fine.

Edit: rygD: Yes, I don't think it's likely at all to happen, unless there is already a cheap stylus of that type available in the necessary numbers (with a guarantee of staying available) which just /happens/ to have exactly the right dimensions.
Maybe if someone can find one we can either convince ED to use it or make the Pyra slot fit it, even if it isn't the default stylus.  If anyone knows of a high quality stylus that might fit, let us know.  This gives me some ideas...

I didn't know that i was supposed to do that.
Don't feel bad, you weren't supposed to know that you were supposed to do that. It's a trick that someone on the board discovered, posted into some "new user" guide somewhere on here, it's not like it's an obvious thing to do or written in the manual.It's an unfortunate effect of the moulding process. I wonder if the particular company used would make a difference, like if this new company has tighter tolerances or something so there won't be that ridge.

Or design an entirely new stylus that doesn't have that problem.

I read through this old thread that kinda followed the XStylus development: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54715-about-replacement-styli/

There were Pandora specific prototypes...too bad that is where they died.  There may have been a metal and plastic Pandora specific prototype made.  It is really a shame this didn't move forward.  It seems a lot of the pics are dead, so does anyone have the pics of the metal one?  I am trying to figure out if I could make something like this for myself.

I have searched around a bit, and have found that the dimensions of a lot of styli are not listed, so I guess I need to find a better way to look for a metal replacement from another product.  Again, if anyone knows a good metal one that fits the slot let me know.

As for a custom one I found http://www.pdapanache.com/

Maybe if there are a handful of people who are willing to pay a premium they will make one for us.  Is there much interest in something like this, and how much would people be willing to pay?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back