A Question About The Keypad

gibberish

i was on an nct bus the other day when i noticed that they had replaced the ticket machines. the sad bastard in me immediately noticed the keys on said machine, as the bottom right one is identical to the type used on the pandora keypad. i also noticed that the rest of the keypad was comprised of a different type of key, and ultimately looked a lot slicker than the pandora style one.

i could only find a lowish res photo of the ticket machine online but you can see what i mean i think.

4155486157_347470b642.jpg

the buttons are matte and flat. the outer 2mm or so is semi transparent which lets light shine through easily. my question is 2 parted.

1. was their a reason that the shiny, rounded style key was used instead of the nicer looking (imo) flat, matte type?
2. is their any possibility that a flat, matte type keypad will be produced in the future as an optional replacement?

ta

The thick coating is used because the flat type wear away, just look any any old remote control to see what I mean.

With flat key, you need more space between the key to avoid typo.
And rounded key gives you a touch feedback, you know if you're between two key or on top of one.

I guess that the current version was developed to be as robust as possible. The first version was intended to have plastic keys, but that wouldn't have worked because of the available space. Flat rubber keys would wear off much faster because the Pandora keys are very small compared to that ticket machine's keys.

edit:
samurai'd

craigix said:
The thick coating is used because the flat type wear away, just look any any old remote control to see what I mean.
That's true. I'm actually a little worried about the keyboard as it is, I like hard plastic keys more than rubber (well I probably like rubber more if they are gonna last - and I'm sure y'all tried all the options so I'm not THAT worried. Just mildly concerned I might not LOVE the keyboard. But I'll definitely like it at least )

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:

that also explains why they used the pandora style key for the "enter" button (which is pressed most frequently i suppose).

KodeIn said:
With flat key, you need more space between the key to avoid typo.

both fair points, that answers my question i guess :)

mali said:
The first version was intended to have plastic keys, but that wouldn't have worked because of the available space.
1_e71keyboard_F_veY1fj39R2lpVk.jpg

That's the keyboard on my phone, its keys are plastic and domed and VERY tiny.

That's right, we avoided that to stop the clicking. I can't stand it and it also means you can't use a clicky device where it will irritate people. You get those looks. Anyone who had a GP32 knows what I mean.

Microswitch own any membrane keyboard :ph34r:

Ah well, yeah, Microswitches are AWFULLY noisy :lol:

mali said:
^then you have those loud clicky metal membranes underneath. Rubber is better.

press-out-the-qwerty.jpg

I'm pretty sure they're not metal membranes, they're plastic capped rubber domes. The keys are VERY quiet.

[edit] oh I may have misunderstood, you're probably right that they're metal domes on the motherboard itself.

I like the Pandora keypad except the fact that its not "very" transparent, with black rubber.. I'm going to LED mod anyway!

craigix said:
That's right, we avoided that to stop the clicking. I can't stand it and it also means you can't use a clicky device where it will irritate people. You get those looks. Anyone who had a GP32 knows what I mean.
This 100 times. I was actually worried because I would like to be able to chat during classes, and clicky keys just won't do when the classroom is quiet.

Those flat rubber buttons are a bastard to type on. I think you'll definitely prefer what OP went for.

look at these keys ebay-no: 180408991897

http://eu.chinavasion.com/images/chinavasion-CVSDW-9801-side9-sss.jpg

cheers.

xxreini said:

cheers.

They're alright. What about them?

xxreini said:

cheers.

chinavasion-CVSDW-9801-side2-sss.jpg

what about them? they look like they'll make an annoying click, they're too recessed and they're apparently made of hard plastic...

That d-pad! :blink: It looks like a combination of the Sony PlayStation d-pad and the d-pad on the Atari 7800 joypads when you unscrew the thumbstick from them (if you've never come across one of these, the d-pad is very flat, and is only really usable with the stick attached). D-pad of the devil!

Back