Release RISC OS Keypad Driver (pndkbd)

devzero

Still Fresh
There is a port available of RISC OS 5 for the Open Pandora. RISC OS was the first operating system for ARM. The RISC OS port doesn't support the keypad and the nubs. I developed a driver for the keypad.

My entry for the Pandora Rebirth Competition has several files which are specific for RISC OS or Linux:

pndkbd,3fb - ArcFS archive

pndkbdsec,ffc - RISC OS self extracting image

pndkbd.tgz - Source code

The source code also includes the binary module pndkbd,ffa. RISC OS uses file types which are not supported on any other operating system. Someone invented the special file name scheme. The file type is added to the file name after a comma. If you copy a file to your RISC OS, you need to set the file type using the menu. For the ArcFS archive, you type 3fb in the filer menu. The ArcFS archive can be opened by !ArcFS or !SparkFS. If you don't have a system which boots you need to enter the command "desktop" or "!Boot" at the star prompt and use the self extracting image.

Why isn't this packed into ZIP or RAR? I used file formats which are common on RISC OS, because it needs to be compatible with RISC OS.

Recommendeted installation procedure:

1. Install RISC OS: http://pandorawiki.o...OS_Installation. You will need an USB keyboard and a USB 2.0 or 3.0 hub until the pndkbd driver is installed.

2. Copy the file pndkbdsec,ffc to a storage device which is readable by RISC OS (e.g. FAT). Rename it to a shorter file name.

3. Set type of file pndkbdsec to ffc in filer menu (middle mouse button to open menu).

4. Run the file pndkbdsec by double click

5. Copy the Directory pndkbdroot.!Boot over your !Boot application ("." is the divider for directories under RISC OS, like "/" under Linux or "\" under Windows).

6. Reboot (or double click on the pndkbd module).

The Pandora keypad is now working. You can change the mapping of the keys with *configure pndkey until reboot (see http://www.riscosope...20Key%20Numbers). The Pandora Key is mapped to the Break-key.

The L button (Shift) + Pandora Key kills programs which hangs or reboots. The mapping is RISC OS style, so you get the colon by pressing shift + FN + ",".

Remember: You still need a mouse and a USB hub until the nubs are working stable.

The installed files include a configuration for the LCD. Before this is active you need to click blindly on the disc symbol with the left mouse button. This symbol is in the lower left corner. Therefore it is easier to install RISC OS from a computer which already runs RISC OS and has USB or ZIP disk support (parallel, SCSI or USB). The RISC OS on the Pandora supports ZIP drives connected over USB.

The source code is written for cross-compiling it under Linux. I don't have an armv7 compatible Norcroft Compiler (alignment). Therefore I am not able to build a complete RISC OS image.

I've a preliminary version where the nubs are working as mouse, but it doesn't run stable. After a short time the software in the nubs seem to hang and I need to reset them. I think it is caused by polling the nubs (instead of using interrupts). I don't have the documentation for the nubs. So I released the current stable version.

I guess this is going to have very few users and very little feedback! But I applaud you for the release. It makes me want to try RISC OS, after my PTOD issue is resolved.

I didn't expected that it will win, but maybe it will help RISC OS to get a little bit more attention.

Ahh, very pleased to see this, will we get to see a ROM image with it built in?

I don't yet have the commercial compiler (or indeed an A7000 or RISC PC to run it on (although I did do a quick port of rpcemu in the hope the compilers could be run with that)) so haven't been able to do any work on this myself as yet -.-

Someone needs to build a ROM image. The code is written for GCC and is not compatible with the Norcroft compiler, but it is not much code and can be changed. A newer Norcroft compiler will also run on the Pandora. I think this is suggested, because it is faster.

Noticed that this thread doesn't actually contain a link to the kb driver or Rebirth entry.

RiscOS Pandora Keyboard driver by Juergen Urban (Original Entry)

This is the source code for the RISC OS keyboard driver for the Open Pandora.

This can be compiled on Linux. You need a cross compiler for RISC OS (gcc).

There is also a ArcFS archive with the installation files available (pndkbd,3fb).

This archive contains the description for the installation.

The file pndkbd,ffa needs to be renamed to pndkbd and the type needs to

be set to module (&ffb).

Download Main Archive

Download pndkbd,3fb

Download pndkbdsec,ffc

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/7766-rebirth-competition-release-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back