The Keyboard

nim

Still Fresh
Orbital Frame Anchorage City of Linköping, Sweden
Website
www.myspace.com
couldn't find a thread generally on the topic of the keyboard.

anyways. has there been posted a link to the keyboard part on its maker's website or such?

also, is the picture of the pandora that's seen in the first image to the top right on openpandora.org (top down view on girl in red) the final look/surface visible hardware?

the keyboard looks like a fantastic laptop style soft resistance low profile keys kb and not the button:ish cellphone-looking type shown in the renders (yeah duh..).. so..

I love how it looks, that it has grey keys (ultrasweet) and look soft and flat and just want to know if I should keep drooling at the pandora in that photo :)

I think you are looking at an older render. That is not the final keyboard.
This is the latest render, with the new keyboard.

nim said:
couldn't find a thread generally on the topic of the keyboard.

anyways. has there been posted a link to the keyboard part on its maker's website or such?

also, is the picture of the pandora that's seen in the first image to the top right on openpandora.org (top down on girl in red) the final look/surface visible hardware?

the keyboard looks like a fantastic laptop style soft resistance low profile keys kb and not the button:ish cellphone-looking type shown in the renders (yeah duh..).. so..

I love how it looks, that it has grey keys (ultrasweet) and look soft and flat and just want to know if I can keep staring at that photo :)
No matter what the keys look like, tho', I'm pretty certain that Craigix and Co. said they would press like the ABXY buttons. (which means no aches and pains when you need to use the keyboard buttons for gaming)

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
argh! will sulk for two hours now.. I was so turned on by the laptop style keyboard (soft, low profile and frameless keys)... I thought that render was older and the one with the girl was the real thing :/

but like you say when gaming many will probably prefer buttontype keys.. just hope they'll be somewhat serving both ends.. keys become quite unsweet to type on quickly when buttonlike resistance is added :/

so the keys are totally produced for the pandora with traditional contact, to contact points on the pcb then?

perhaps it wouldn't be difficult to replace the springs with a laptop:ish set of extra soft, soft-clicky springs :/

nim said:
so the keys are totally produced for the pandora with traditional contact, to contact points on the pcb then?

perhaps it wouldn't be difficult to replace the springs with a laptop:ish set of extra soft, soft-clicky springs :/
As far as we know, they aren't sprung keys, they use a silicone membrane and carbon contact points like most modern keyboards.

MagicPants said:
I think the keys are the way they are because frameless keys would be too close together and you'd end up fat fingering them all the time.
"The Fingers You Have Used to dial Are Too Fat. to obtain a Special Dialing Wand, Please Mash the Keypad with Your Palm Now."

PlopperZ said:

its-beautiful.jpg

Is it the case that the Pandora is really on suitable for thumb-typing to its small size.

I am 6'4" so my fingers are a little bigger than usual and I just do ok on my eeePC, anything smaller and I've got no hope of touchtyping on it.

If it is thumb-typing only, surely game controller push-buttons would be fine.

Dingo_aus said:
Is it the case that the Pandora is really on suitable for thumb-typing to its small size.

I am 6'4" so my fingers are a little bigger than usual and I just do ok on my eeePC, anything smaller and I've got no hope of touchtyping on it.

If it is thumb-typing only, surely game controller push-buttons would be fine.
I agree, I'm 6'6" with really large hands, however I think as long as the bevel out just a little bit and are not to hard to push down it will be ok for touch typing.

lol xP
button type would be great for thumb-gaming.. I'm just worried if it won't be tiresome for type-like use :/ I wonder if it'll be feasible to type with one hand same way you do on a keyboard or if thumb-pressing will win out in all cases..

do you think the "not taking hardware suggestions" is also due to factory plans or just design plans?
otherwise perhaps separate spring boards... eh sorry.. I mean plastic thingies.. could be produced so you could put whichever you liked in :-07
(heh, over-discussing things but what else to do in the wait :))

I'm guessing it will be like typing on the 360 chatpad which once you get used to it is very good. You can easily use your thumbs like you would on say a mobile phone, not sure how well it would work as a normal keyboard as it looks a little small, so will have to wait and see. You can always plug a USB keyboard in if you needed to type quite a bit.

My guess is it'll be a lot like typing on the old Psion Series 3xxs. Not terribly fast, but alltogether doable.

A lot depends on the shape of the keys; the Psions had nice concave keys that were a joy to use. A lot of us developed a six finger fast-typing method (thumbs for space and two first fingers for typing) that worked well. Obviously, typing blind is out of the question, but I managed to tap entire articles on the li'l tyke.

Edit: Of course, Psion were known for putting enormeous amounts of effort into their keyboards, and this showed (remember the Series 5 keyboard?). This is also a subtle hint for the Pandora developers. :)

PlopperZ said:

Neat.

grahf said:
I learned to type REALLY fast on my old Sidekick, so i'm satisfied with this design. It's amazing how fast you can type with two thumbs.
Which is why dinosaurs were really crap at texting

Back